Does anybody here collect and not play?

burnambill333

Aspiring Trainer
I'm 19 years old, and I recently decided to start collecting pokemon cards again just for fun. Currently I'm trying to collect all the original sets. Then, I'll start collecting Gym, Neo, E-Reader, and so on, until I have every complete set of Pokemon cards. Anyway I was wondering how many people here simply collect Pokemon cards and do not play with them? How many here simply put their cards into sleeves and don't actually play the game? Also, are there any impressive collections that you know of? Who here owns a 1st Edition Base set and/or Shadowless set?

m0nster1nc said:
I don't but I think I know some-one who does... what's a Shadowless set?

Basically Shadowless Pokemon are just a small variation of the unlimited edition print of the base series. It's just a small variation, but Shadowless cards are actually harder to find than 1st Edition cards. Check out a Shadowless and Non-Shadowless Chansey card:

DSC04324.jpg

As you can see there is a shadow underneath the picture of Chansey on the left card, but the right card does not have a shadow. Also, the text of the HP is slightly different, and the copyright notices are also different.

Here is a nice guide about the subject: Here

basicly i dont think that collecting but doesnt play is good.

u spend so much money buying them but doesnt play?
the scholarship was great! why miss them??

thats pityful, i would decide what deck's the best and start finding the cards

Well I am aperson who plays them but doesn't collect them. But I know of a friend who collects them, he likes to collect legendaries and cool looking ones. That's the good thing about Pokemon, they are so fun to collect, and even more fun to battle.

I do both, Collect & play.
I also have a shadowless Nidoking from the Base set...which people think is a fake....& I tell them it's not, then I show them the date on the bottom of the card.

Well, people collect various things, such as Star Wars figurines, Comic Books, Nintendo Games, and many other things. It keeps me occupied, and it's actually quite challenging to track down complete sets. Collect what make you happy.

I guess I'm one of the few here the only collects, that's cool. After all it is called the trading card game so I would expect most people to play the game.

I Try to collect but not sets I make my own collections.I mainly play though.The thing I am collecting now are MD star Pokemon such as all the starters,Pelliper,Gulpin and the other shop owners

I like collecting, too. I don't play the game often, but that's mostly due to a lack of friends with any interest. :p Also there was a huge gap where I stopped playing, so I have a lot of old cards and a lot of new cards; there's some sets in between I've missed. I feel a bit stupid collecting cards at my age, but its fun. I don't see it as a waste of money, though I try to trade with people when I can to save spending.

I feel a bit stupid collecting cards at my age, but its fun. I don't see it as a waste of money, though I try to trade with people when I can to save spending.
I couldn't have said that better myself, astral_boy

RE:  Does anybody here collect and not play?

astral_boy said:
I like collecting, too. I don't play the game often, but that's mostly due to a lack of friends with any interest. :p Also there was a huge gap where I stopped playing, so I have a lot of old cards and a lot of new cards; there's some sets in between I've missed. I feel a bit stupid collecting cards at my age, but its fun. I don't see it as a waste of money, though I try to trade with people when I can to save spending.
just like me i stated again and cause of me all my friend started
which made me mad cause 2 only started to copy me
the rest stared on there own

burnambill333 said:
I feel a bit stupid collecting cards at my age, but its fun. I don't see it as a waste of money, though I try to trade with people when I can to save spending.
I couldn't have said that better myself, astral_boy

:p heh. The only thing is I don't have many new cards, so even though I'd like to trade with people on this forum I don't have the rare cards most are seeking. I only buy like one booster a month now because I'm so embarrassed about buying them. :shy:

I collect pokemon cards and I have only ever played the game once. But I tend to collect just my favourite pokemon rather than whole sets though. When a new generation comes out I try to get one of each different pokemon and add them to my folder in the national order.
Also, I am 18 and I dont think I am too old to collect the cards. I see collecting them as a hobby so I feel the money is worth it and I do trade quite a lot.

Pure collector here. I haven't actually played competitively since the Neo sets, so when people say things like "Ludicargo", I have no idea what the hell they're talking about. :p

astral_boy said:

I think astralboy is a pure collector, no doubt. I'll trade new cards for old ones if you want. I rly want to try to collect all the starter pokemon 1st edition

yeah, its hard for me to sometimes buy, but I like to go with friends, so its not as akward. The people at wal mart always give me weird looks because im 18 and like 6'4" hahahaha, some hot girl asked me if I was buying for someone, and it was so hard but I was like, "no, these are for me baby." hahahahaha..... astralboy, keep ya' chin up. u're the man, and your avatar is awesome. we should trade so PM me.

I play and collect the pokemon cards. I have completed the following sets: Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, Base 2, Team Rocket, Gym Heros, Gym Challenge, Neo 1, 2, and 3, Ruby & Sapphire, Sandstorm, Dragon, Aqua and Magma, Hidden Legends, Fire Red/Leaf Green, Team Rocket Returns, Deoxys, Emerald, Unseen Forces, Delta Species, Legend Maker, need 3, Holon Phantoms, need 1, and Crystal Guardians, need 5. I have 10 decks.

PKM4 said:
I play and collect the pokemon cards. I have completed the following sets: Base Set, Jungle, Fossil, Base 2, Team Rocket, Gym Heros, Gym Challenge, Neo 1, 2, and 3, Ruby & Sapphire, Sandstorm, Dragon, Aqua and Magma, Hidden Legends, Fire Red/Leaf Green, Team Rocket Returns, Deoxys, Emerald, Unseen Forces, Delta Species, Legend Maker, need 3, Holon Phantoms, need 1, and Crystal Guardians, need 5. I have 10 decks.
Wow...that's a lot of freaking sets!!! I hope to be there someday. Good work.

Thanks. It took a lot of hard work. But I have to thank my friends because I traded for a lot of the ones I needed.

The Trading Master.

Back