Do You Want Player Customization Back?

Team Rocket Fan

Team Rocket Lover and Humble Katy Cat!
Who else would love to have the ability to dress the player again in ORAS?

I mean, let's admit it. We all loved it. Isn't that right?

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
I mean, let's admit it. We all loved it. Isn't that right?

What I would've liked was to customize the player character to go back to "retro" as in having the ability to dress May and Brendan in their Ruby/Sapphire outfits. Even added Emerald outfits to that.

Maybe have like the Eon Flute was; unlocked at a certain time in the game.

Team Rocket Fan

What I would've liked was to customize the player character to go back to "retro" as in having the ability to dress May and Brendan in their Ruby/Sapphire outfits. Even added Emerald outfits to that.

Maybe have like the Eon Flute was; unlocked at a certain time in the game.
Yeah, but I just don't get it! Does GameFreak want every game to have its own charm? I mean, if you think about it, HGSS was an amazing game because your pokemon followed you. It'd be awesome to have it back. And XY had trainer customization. They are so awesome! ORAS has soaring but it's NO way better than any of these.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Yeah, but I just don't get it! Does GameFreak want every game to have its own charm? I mean, if you think about it, HGSS was an amazing game because your pokemon followed you. It'd be awesome to have it back. And XY had trainer customization. They are so awesome! ORAS has soaring but it's NO way better than any of these.

I guess GameFreak wants each game to have it's own charm. I mean if they all had these quirks, there'd be no originality; no striking differences then what was in HG/SS to what was in B2/W2.

Having something separate and unique to that game is what gives the series originality. You can play HG/SS a million times, and there's a really good chance you'll never have the same experience twice.

Celever

Wheeeee~
Actually I think that taking out character customisation for ORAS was good. After all, they're remakes. The protagonists (May and Brendan, called Orlando in ORAS because ???) have iconic and traditional attire, and letting you change this would almost ruin their legacy.

Though yeah, it should totally return in future non-remakes. I don't think it will though...

X and Y had a theme it was wanting stick to throughout development: beauty. This is why the region is based off Paris and is, indeed, the reason for character customisation being introduced. It could very easily be the gimmick for the generation and never return again, despite huge outcry for it to return *cough*PokemonFollowingYou*cough*.

Team Rocket Fan

Indeed. But in the Kalos games remake I bet they'll return with more outfits possible. And yes, I believe that this is indeed for Kalos. When you put it this way with the Kalos beauty. I've never actually thought that the Kalos' theme wich is Paris was connected to this feature. You're right!

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
Indeed. But in the Kalos games remake I bet they'll return with more outfits possible. And yes, I believe that this is indeed for Kalos. When you put it this way with the Kalos beauty. I've never actually thought that the Kalos' theme wich is Paris was connected to this feature. You're right!

I feel like maybe there can be more customization with the clothes; like maybe being able to change the color of certain articles of clothing to add more personal flair to an outfit.

Psychic

Really and truly
Trainer customization was such an awesome touch in XY, allowing you to add more personality to your character and feeling like you're really making them your own, and while I really hope it gets brought back in future games, I wouldn't hold my breath. GF likes to introduce little things in each game and then never bring it back, regardless of what people thought of it. But seriously, it's 2015, and there is no reason that Pokemon can't have more customization options like the majority of video games today.

~Psychic

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Also, if they are going to bring customization back, I hope they won't force us to put on a hat. That would make hair styling much more fun :3

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
Yeah, you're right. They could let us free with this but I'd certainly wear a hat again. They were great for me.

Not for me but I guess I'm not a"hat" person.
Really wish they'll let us go without them and even give us the ability to do crazy hair styles that are only good without a hat. Like Lance's hair for example.

Mitja

veteran smartass
To be honest, I'd prefer a simple and diverse system to the one we've seen in XY.
In other words, instead of having a bland/plain character that we can add accessories, change clothes of and adjust a few details... I would like a selection of "final" character-models instead. Like say if they designed 3 more distinct protagonists to choose from instead of one for each gender.

But the logic here is supposed to be that the protagonist character we play, is an actual character of the story that happens to be the one with the "exciting" journey and the interaction with legendaries etc. So the XY-protagonist for example was still, like the ones before, a specific character that we know as Calem/Serena.
So FULL customization like you'd see in mmorpgs would be out of place for main Pokemon games. That's for something like Battle revolution.

With that in mind, I'm perfectly fine to play a predetermined character-look for any main game (like we've done since the beginning), and would be more interested in being able to choose a completely unrelated look for my wifi-presence.
We've been able to pick avatars of the trainer classes that show up in any game for a while now (Bug catcher, Ace trainer etc..) and are even seen by others as these trainer classes in overworld sprites in secret bases etc. But what is missing here is 3d-models of these showing up in battles.

It bugs me that I want to identify as a Bug Catcher or whatever example, but when the battle starts, it's the XY/ORAS protagonists throwing the pokeballs, and then never reappearing on the screen for the rest of the battle...which is another thing that bugs me but that's already off-topic.

MrCoolViking

Aspiring Trainer
Yes, I'd like that. And like some already have mentioned, I want to be able choose if we want to wear hat or not ("to hat or not to hat"... :D). And hair styling would be a great thing to do.

Bolt the Cat

Bringing the Thunder
Of course. Customization should be a series staple, especially when we're entering an era where we can interact with many people online at once through the PSS. It's much harder to tell people apart when the only choices for avatars are male character and female character.

StarlightSearcher

The Blonde Brainiac
Forum Mod
Advanced Member
What I'd like is the ability to, when an article of clothing was purchased (in X & Y) to be able to change it's color or its pattern (patterns if applicable).

I think it'd add a touch of originality for each person; with each player able to change the colors of their clothes, or add/subtract patterns to things like shirts or skirts.