Ruling Do you take a prize when you KO a fossil from ULP???

biffthepotato

It's Wednesday M'dudes
Yo guys, from the title I think you can tell that I was wondering if you take a prize when you KO a unidentified fossil, the card says:

Unidentified Fossil: Trainer Item 60HP

Play this card like it was a 60HP basic Pokemon, at any time during your turn (before you attack), you can discard this card from play.

This card can't retreat.

You may play as many items as you like during your turn (Before you attack)

Why I made this thread was because if you remember the Robo substitute from awhile back, witch was like the same as this but it had 30HP and said that when you KO Robo substitute, you don't take a prize. I'm making this thread because Unidentified Fossil doesn't say "If this is KOed you don't take a prize" witch is why I wanted to ask about the ruling.

Any help with this ruling would be appreciated, thanks!!!

-Biff The Potato

PMJ

happy thoughts
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
You're right. It does not say you don't, so if you kill a fossil, you take a Prize.

Wowowiwo

Aspiring Trainer
Had this same doubt days ago, a guy in locals claimed that you didn't take a prize in the online game.

An Ly

Aspiring Trainer
Play this card like it was a 60HP basic Pokemon, at any time during your turn (before you attack), you can discard this card from play.

So building on this, if you choose to discard the fossil card on your turn, would your opponent take a prize?

jessalakasam

Floette is love Floette is life
So building on this, if you choose to discard the fossil card on your turn, would your opponent take a prize?
No, you are discarding the fossil, not KOing it (Look at the difference between Unown (UPR) and Electrode (EVO)'s abilities)

Kietharr

Aspiring Trainer
Had this same doubt days ago, a guy in locals claimed that you didn't take a prize in the online game.

Tell him to never, ever, ever, ever use that as a justification again. PTCGO is never a substitution for real rulings or actually reading the card. Compare the following

Unidentified Fossil
Play this card as if it were a 60-HP Colorless Basic Pokémon. At any time during your turn (before your attack), you may discard this card from play.
This card can't retreat.

Robo Substitute Team Flare Gear
Play this card as if it were a 30 HP Colorless Basic Pokémon. At any time during your turn (before your attack), you may discard this card from play.
This card can't retreat. If this card is Knocked Out, your opponent can't take any Prize Cards for it.

Mysterious Fossil (original print text)
Play Mysterious Fossil as if it were a Basic Pokémon. While in play, Mysterious Fossil counts as a Pokémon (instead of a Trainer card). Mysterious Fossil has no attacks, can't retreat, and can't be Asleep, Confused, Paralyzed, or Poisoned. If Mysterious Fossil is Knocked Out, it doesn't count as a Knocked Out Pokémon. (Discard it anyway.) At any time during your turn before your attack, you may discard Mysterious Fossil from play.

Note that these other item basics that don't give prizes explicitly say they don't give prizes. while Unidentified Fossil does not have this language. Therefore it is treated like any other basic pokemon, and you do take a prize when it is knocked out.