XY Do You Care to Complete the Pokédex?

Seven is a Color

Spinda Doctors
I've never been interested in completing the Pokedex. I have tried on a few occasions to get lots of Pokedex entries, but I stopped because it was tedious instead of fun for me, and the only reason I was even doing it in the first place was that I thought you had to complete as much of the Pokedex as you can if you're a "true" Pokemon fan.

I remember in FireRed and LeafGreen, you had to have a certain number of dex entries in order to get the Flash HM. I loathed the thought of doing this so much even though it was a small amount (10, IIRC) that I just went through Rock Tunnel in near-darkness. Getting 60 dex entries in order to gain access to the Sevii Islands felt like I was someone who was stuck at a boring job that drains my mental energy, but I can't quit because I need the money and there aren't any better jobs in the area, or at least not ones that I have the credentials for.

The only Pokemon I catch in the games are
-Ones I use for my story mode team
-Ones I use for the game's battle facility
-Legendaries and other Pokemon that appear in the overworld (ex: Snorlax)
-Shinies, if I come across them
-HM slaves

I may catch other Pokemon on very rare occasions if I have a reason. I caught a Skitty in X because it was cute and I wanted to play with it in Pokemon Amie.

Axell Starr

I will set you ablaze now
I always try to complete the dex, though, this gen has been the first gen I've actually been able to get close to it. (just 3 away.)

Personally, I find it quite fun to raise so many post game, never found it boring.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
It never bothered me until gen 5 because of the shiny charm.
I'm trying to catch all Pokemon that I can catch during the game and the rest of them from trades
In gen 6 it was just too easy. in 5 days I managed to complete the dex (excluding event Pokemon)
just by trading Koffing I got from Wonder trade with a legendary that I kept trading for another legendary in the GTS.

Even though it was in order to obtain the shiny charm it still was fun but maybe it is just because it was that easy.

Now I actually have a new challenge : To collect and raise as much as possible Pokemon for competitive game. I actually have 2 boxes filled with fully trained Pokemon for battle and I find raising them more fun then battling with them

When I was a kid and I knew I cant catch all Pokemon,I made myself a challenge to raise as much as possible different Pokemon to lvl 100. ( I managed to get only 5 but it was fun)

Eventually this is what makes this game so great - you can make your own challenges. you can find all Pokemon but you don't have to. and each generation they keep giving you another challenges that you can decide to face (Vivillon for example)

P_A2

Aspiring Trainer
I came close with other games, but with Pokemon X, this is the only time I actually accomplished it. Mind you I had some help to get some earlier legendaries, so it turned out good. Now my challenge is to acquire all of the pokemon - not just see them to complete the dex. I'm pretty close, with over 670 of what... 718 or something like that. And although I have bred and trained some pokemon up for tournaments and such, I need to finish that up. Once I get my teams all sorted out I'll get ready for ORAS by breeding up the best Mawile and Sableye I can so I can use them on the new games. So yeah, I still have a bit more work to do with this game, and it still hasn't become stale after over 400 hours.

Leaf_Ranger

Knight of Nature and Pokémon
I didn't cared until B2 because of the shiny charm. That said, I've never managed to complete it.
Back in R/S (and perhaps Emerald) I liked to complete it because of the Dex entries but nowadays only new Pokémon receive new entries so it's boring. I now ctach every Pokémon I see because that way I don't have to come back and find out that that Pokémon was actually difficult to get or something like that (ex: Steelix in dust clouds...what a tedious task, even with Repel).

Blue - It was new;
Yellow - still kind of new;
LeafGreen - Screw the Aides, I already know Black Tunnel like the palm of my hand...then Sevii happened and there I had to backtrack and go catch and evolve Pokémon! Damn you Oak!

pikablu29

Human Delibird
Completing the Dex has always been the main thing in the game for me and I managed to do it in every game. I'm not really good or interested in battling so I find the "hunt" for the missing Pokémon to be a fun challenge to the game and gives it a longer play life so to speak. I'm a bit of a completionist when it comes to games so I make sure every hidden item, pokémon, etc. is found, unlocked and kept.

Arkhangel

Aspiring Trainer
I actually quite enjoy working on the Pokedex, I'm new to the games but it seems like that is becoming my main focus at the moment :)

dmaster

Aspiring Trainer
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I was always kind of interested in completing a living Dex ever since around FR/LG when it was first possible to really to but I never really had a super amount of drive or motivation to do it, so I settled on just doing the first 151 and had some others randomly about spread through the games all the way until B2/W2 came out with the Shiny Charm.

That was really the thing I needed to pool all the Pokemon I needed to complete it into one file. It took a long amount of time transferring everything and getting all of it into one place and sorted but it felt so satisfying getting it done. Completing it now is as simple as just getting each game's new Pokemon so I'm glad I don't have to do something like that ever again with the Dex up in the cloud.

dmaster out.

Galaxy Hunter

Shiny Mega Quest!
I've tried to complete the Pokédex in every generation, but only really succeeded in Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, and Black 2 and White 2 (For the Shiny Charm). However, now Gen VI has made it practical to maintain a Living Pokédex with PokéBank so I put one together, which was relatively easy what with having access to all of the previous generations. So from now on I will just take ten minutes to deposit every single Pokémon into the game, withdraw them again, and play the game with a completed Pokédex from the get-go (the way I always thought it should be). Then when Gen 7 inevitably arrives, I'll just have to catch all of the new Pokémon and add them on to the Pokédex.

Mistryss Nite

Is back from Beijing, China! ^.^
I have always wanted to complete the Pokedex on all my games, but sadly I was unable to do so after Pokemon Yellow. Even though it is more possible to complete the Pokedex with this generation, it's nearly impossible due to many of the legendary Pokemon. Very few even have the rare legendaries, and those that do are unlikely to trade them.

Athena

The Cooler Danchou
Advanced Member
Each generation since Gen IV, I've told myself "this time, I'm going to complete the Pokédex!" because GTS meant I could trade for the other Pokémon that I couldn't catch on my own, and I wouldn't even need to have anyone to trade with. However, I always get bored and end up giving up easily. I don't really have the patience to endlessly hunt/fish/safari/whatever for all the Pokémon I need. Ah well. :p

Drohn

Wild War Dance
Getting all the Pokémon was never really a goal of mine up until the later generations where we got the Shiny and Oval charms for completing it. I always just caught the Pokémon I like and/or planned to use before that. The other rewards weren't enough of an incentive for me to go out of my way to catch Pokémon I didn't really need or wanted to use.

Jungletoad

Aspiring Trainer
I've always liked to fill it up with Pokemon, but the first time I actually managed to complete it was in Y. I think it's really cozy to just scroll through it from top to bottom and read about every Pokemon.

migrayneWolllF

Aspiring Trainer
It's fun at first but after so long I just stop and say "wow I had that much patience?" I've never completed a Pokedex in any of the games, but TMs I will hunt for endlessly haha.

Keeper of Night

Nobody Special
In every generation, it has always been my goal to complete the Regional Pokedex. It's great being able to scroll through and see all the little pokeballs next to every one of them. There's a sense of accomplishment. It wasn't until Gen VI, however, that I every actually even considered filling the National Pokedex. It took a long time, and used about every possible method to do so. But now that I have... Well, it's the first time I've ever felt like I've "beaten" or "completed" a Pokemon game.

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
I have completed all my dex's in 4th gen 5th gen and on my X version. The ones I always have problems with though are the baby Pokemon from 2nd gen and a few other 2nd gen Pokemon but I manage to get it completed every time. Once you do it the first time your other versions should be much easier. I completed my HG with a full dex in 2 weeks flat because all I did for most of the Pokemon was transfer forwards and backwards my Pokemon from D/P/PL. I would transfer 6 at a time from one of the versions over then trade those 6 back and then I would repeat every box on every row on every version and it worked. What makes it much faster is getting into event collecting. This way you can just transfer event Pokemon to your new version and then transfer back if it is in the same generation. If it is not then clone your events before you transfer and delete the clones on your new game other wise you will have duplicated events and full boxes fast on your new game on the new generation version. It is smart cheap faster but it is worth it though. Saves a lot of time too.:)

Maserati777

Aspiring Trainer
To be honest, no. Crystal is the only game where I've caught over 100 Pokemon and seen over 200, but I'm happy with just seeing every pokemon, I don't care about catching them. Most of the Pokemon I'm missing on Crystal are pokemon I need to evolve to see and to be honest I don't feel like training them to evolve them.

xxashxx

"Pokemon Gotta catch em all Pokemon"
Elite Member
Advanced Member
That is what Wi-Fi is used for now. I can complete a dex in 7-10 weeks XD.:)

Krusiv

Mega Breloom for ORAS!
I do now that I've gotten back into Pokemon. I didn't really care about it before. The only dex I completed was the first on Blue back in the day. I almost have my X Pokedex completed; just need a handful of legendaries at this point.

Windwhip

Aspiring Trainer
Do I care to complete the pokedex? Heck no. Too much work.

I, however, completed my favorite type pokedex such as Psychic and Flying.