Help Do I tech Magearna or Giratina in Ultra/Magnezone? Both?

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
First, does Magearna block Greninja from shutting off my abilities if I attach a metal to Magnezone? This deck has a really poor MU against Greninja IMO, do these tech cards make it better?

In general to anyone who has tested the deck does it do well in cups?

I could be wrong, but if Magearna-EX does not have a Metal Energy attached to it then Shadow Stitch would shut off it's ability for the turn, which would also shut down Magnezone's ability even if you have a Metal Energy attached to Magnezone. To be honest, I'm not really sure what the official ruling in that situation would be but I'm interested to know.

Giratina is a much better Greninja counter because you just have to slap it down on your bench and you're good to go, but it's useless against everything else. Greninja has been seeing more play recently though so I think it's worth a spot if you have room for it.

I could be wrong, but if Magearna-EX does not have a Metal Energy attached to it then Shadow Stitch would shut off it's ability for the turn, which would also shut down Magnezone's ability even if you have a Metal Energy attached to Magnezone. To be honest, I'm not really sure what the official ruling in that situation would be but I'm interested to know.

Giratina is a much better Greninja counter because you just have to slap it down on your bench and you're good to go, but it's useless against everything else. Greninja has been seeing more play recently though so I think it's worth a spot if you have room for it.

The problem is even with Greninja's abilities shut off you still have to accelerate energy to make Ultra/ Magnezone work and so if they turn off your abilities it's just as bad as them getting their snipes, especially since that deck doesn't have a back up attacker that can one shot Greninja BREAK.

I don't think it's worth it to run both Magearna EX and Giratina. For starters both of these cards are dead outside of the Greninja match up (Magearna less so but still very few cards in the meta that it actual helps against right now) so that's a lot of extra clunk in a deck that has consistency issues to begin with. Then when you do fight Greninja you have'd have to fish out both cards while still getting set up with Magnezone and stuff (and Magearna can't be grabbed with Brigette) plus you do need a Metal on both Magearna and Magnezone to prevent Shadow Stitching.

I would tech just the Giratina. The Magearna is much more clunky to utilize, that cuts down on dead tech cards in other match ups, if they are shadow stitching you they are doing low amounts of damage (40, or 70 with Choice Band) so you have time to set up slower, and you can just energy ramp with Solgaleo Prism

I don't think it's worth it to run both Magearna EX and Giratina. For starters both of these cards are dead outside of the Greninja match up (Magearna less so but still very few cards in the meta that it actual helps against right now) so that's a lot of extra clunk in a deck that has consistency issues to begin with. Then when you do fight Greninja you have'd have to fish out both cards while still getting set up with Magnezone and stuff (and Magearna can't be grabbed with Brigette) plus you do need a Metal on both Magearna and Magnezone to prevent Shadow Stitching.

I would tech just the Giratina. The Magearna is much more clunky to utilize, that cuts down on dead tech cards in other match ups, if they are shadow stitching you they are doing low amounts of damage (40, or 70 with Choice Band) so you have time to set up slower, and you can just energy ramp with Solgaleo Prism

What do you think about the deck overall as a tournament deck?

What do you think about the deck overall as a tournament deck?
It’s not a good tournament deck. When you need to win several Bo3 matches the key is consistency which DuskZone doesn’t have. Collinsville tells it best. Despite being the second most popular deck in the room 0 of them made day 2

It’s not a good tournament deck. When you need to win several Bo3 matches the key is consistency which DuskZone doesn’t have. Collinsville tells it best. Despite being the second most popular deck in the room 0 of them made day 2

Where can I go look at the results for Collinsville? Did anything with Silvally GX get good results?

My problem with the deck is I never seem to be able to get the energy I need even though I run 13 (M).

LimitlessTCG has the day 2 results for Pokémon regionals. Silvally hasn’t seen any success either

Not true day 2 did have one at least make day 2.

Megearna is great tech. It counters garninja and any attack that applys damage counters on pokemon. It also stop miraculous shine.
As far as ruling yes magearna stops shadow stitching as long as there was a metal energy on magearna when the shadow stitching was used. Also to note even if magazone had no metal energy on it. You can still use ability as long as you a. Had a metal energy on magearna when shadow was used. And b. You put a metal energy on magazone when you start your turn.

Megearna is great tech. It counters garninja and any attack that applys damage counters on pokemon. It also stop miraculous shine.
As far as ruling yes magearna stops shadow stitching as long as there was a metal energy on magearna when the shadow stitching was used. Also to note even if magazone had no metal energy on it. You can still use ability as long as you a. Had a metal energy on magearna when shadow was used. And b. You put a metal energy on magazone when you start your turn.

Considering the deck didn't do well in the latest regional I think I'm going to pass on it. I still think it is potentially a strong deck, but the lists need to be refined and honestly a strong anti Buzzwole deck needs to come along to shake things up.

Shutting down Miraculous Shine, or even Plea GX for matter, doesn't seem so relevant in a DM Necrozma deck, though, seeing how only your basics will likely get damaged (unless the opponent tries to 2-shot your magnezone?).

All in all, I think Magearna doesn't really have a place in a DM Necrozma deck atm. The opponent probably already has a plan of knocking down a combination of 2 GX + ULP Solgaleo + Magnezone\Registeel for the win, so if you just feed one more low-HP EX, he can probably just ignore your ULP Solgaleo altogether and win faster.

Just a thought. <----- Not coming from a pro!

Back