Ruling Ditto Prism Star

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
Is this thing compatible with Rare Candy? I'm considering adding it to Metagross/Solgaleo but if it isn't compatible there's no sense in doing that.

Rare Candy only evolves a Basic into a Stage 2. Since Ditto [*] is a basic Pokemon all on its own and only becomes a Stage 1 Evolution Pokemon via an ability, not a standard evolution. Since he's Ditto and not Beldum, he can't just become Metagross through a Rare Candy.

Last edited:
Rare Candy only evolves a Basic into a Stage 2. Since Ditto [*] is a basic Pokemon all on its own and only becomes a Stage 1 Evolution Pokemon via an ability, not a standard evolution. Since he's Ditto and not Beldum, he can't just become Metagross through a Rare Candy.
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. However, I still have one question. Since Metang can evolve from Ditto [*], and Metagross evolves from Metang, doesn't that mean Metagross technically can evolve from Ditto [*] the same way it doesn't technically evolve from Beldum, but since Metang does, it counts as Metagross evolving from Beldum? I know it's kind of a stretch, but it does seem like another plausible interpretation.

No, it can't since Ditto [*] is a Pokemon of its own. Evolutions can only be played to a Pokemon whose name is written on that evolution card (evolves from) unless some other card or effect allows it. In this case it's an ability that allows it, and that ability is telling you exactly what it can do.

You can however evolve the Ditto to a stage 1 then a stage 2 of the same line within the games rules. Ditto [*] > Metang > Metagross

No, it can't since Ditto [*] is a Pokemon of its own. Evolutions can only be played to a Pokemon whose name is written on that evolution card (evolves from) unless some other card or effect allows it. In this case it's an ability that allows it, and that ability is telling you exactly what it can do.

You can however evolve the Ditto to a stage 1 then a stage 2 of the same line within the games rules. Ditto [*] > Metang > Metagross

I was about to type out an attempt at breaking down the steps that technically occur anytime one plays an Evolution card, but it still becomes more of a metaruling than a proper one because of how Rare Candy is worded. Rare Candy has you act on knowledge not actually present via the cards involved; you select a Basic Pokémon, Rare Candy checks your hand for a Stage 2 that Evolves from a Stage 1 which Evolves from the initial Basic Pokémon. It never says anything directly about that; what it literally says

"Choose 1 of your Basic Pokémon in play. If you have a Stage 2 card in your hand that evolves from that Pokémon, put that card onto the Basic Pokémon to evolve it. You can’t use this card during your first turn or on a Basic Pokémon that was put into play this turn."

Should really only allow a Basic to Evolve into a Stage 2 that says "Oh, hey, this Stage 2 can Evolve from that Basic Pokémon." So this seems like the ruling for Forest of Giant Plants; even though you'd think it could stack it doesn't. XP

I was about to type out an attempt at breaking down the steps that technically occur anytime one plays an Evolution card, but it still becomes more of a metaruling than a proper one because of how Rare Candy is worded. Rare Candy has you act on knowledge not actually present via the cards involved; you select a Basic Pokémon, Rare Candy checks your hand for a Stage 2 that Evolves from a Stage 1 which Evolves from the initial Basic Pokémon. It never says anything directly about that; what it literally says

"Choose 1 of your Basic Pokémon in play. If you have a Stage 2 card in your hand that evolves from that Pokémon, put that card onto the Basic Pokémon to evolve it. You can’t use this card during your first turn or on a Basic Pokémon that was put into play this turn."

Should really only allow a Basic to Evolve into a Stage 2 that says "Oh, hey, this Stage 2 can Evolve from that Basic Pokémon." So this seems like the ruling for Forest of Giant Plants; even though you'd think it could stack it doesn't. XP
Knowing this, I think I'm just going to go based on how my opponent feels about it, since it can easily go either way.

Knowing this, I think I'm just going to go based on how my opponent feels about it, since it can easily go either way.
Just saying Otaku and PokeMedic were correct. Rare Candy bases it off of what the Stage 1 evolves from as printed on the card (i.e. Metang evolves from Beldum). Ditto {*} doesn't have an evolution and thus can't be Candy'd

Knowing this, I think I'm just going to go based on how my opponent feels about it

Well that's not going to go well.

Forest of Giant Plants

Pepperidge Farm Remembers
242065.jpg

Unless you're playing in unsanctioned tournaments, I would play it as Rare Candy not being compatible with Ditto [Prism Star]'s Ability. It is easier to take advantage of a more favorable ruling - in the unlikely event one occurs later - than to get used to a more constraining, less favorable ruling after the fact.

I should also point out that I was more wondering about the English wording than the intent. Based on other card interactions, I'm fairly certain that the Ability of Ditto [Prism STar] is incompatible with the effect of Rare Candy.

to quote pokepop "no, you can't combine two effects into one super effect"

so no you can't combine rare candy with dittos ability.

to quote pokepop "no, you can't combine two effects into one super effect"

so no you can't combine rare candy with dittos ability.

I am aware of that statement by Pokepop, including its context. If we try and turn it into a general statement, we make it false as indeed some effects do stack i.e. combine into one super effect. My issue is that, I only come to this conclusion based on the Forest of Giant Plants/Rare Candy ruling and not from the English text of the cards in question (Ditto [Prism Star] and Rare Candy). It isn't that I'm pushing for Ditto [Prism Star] to work with Rare Candy but that I am wondering if Rare Candy could once again use clearer wording.

I am aware of that statement by Pokepop, including its context. If we try and turn it into a general statement, we make it false as indeed some effects do stack i.e. combine into one super effect. My issue is that, I only come to this conclusion based on the Forest of Giant Plants/Rare Candy ruling and not from the English text of the cards in question (Ditto [Prism Star] and Rare Candy). It isn't that I'm pushing for Ditto [Prism Star] to work with Rare Candy but that I am wondering if Rare Candy could once again use clearer wording.
I wasn't aware of any ruling with Rare Candy/FGP. Now that I know about it, I definetly agree that Ditto doesn't work with Rare Candy.

Back