Disastrous Fires in Southern California

DocRobot_K-176

Red Raging Rampage
There has been several large fires in Southern California around the San Diego and Malibu area. Around 250,000 people have been evacuated, and several hundred houses have been destroyed by the fire. This is terrible... ;_;

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&q=California+San+Diego+Fire&btnG=Search+News

RE: Disasterous Fires In Southern California

Yeah. And some of my family just got back from where the fire is now. And they almost stayed an extra week; good thing they didn't.

I switched on the news and at first I thought another terrorist attack had hit America. Paranoid ;0

This is really bad, I hope none of you guys are too badly affected. From what I've heard so far, the death toll has been pretty low so that at least can be counted as a blessing. Although I can't say the same for those who lost their homes and possessions.

Is this another act of arson, or merely a forest fire? Or Osama's follower's sabotaging act causing a forest fire? Enlighten this naive non-American.

Hmm... With so many being evacuated, shouldn't they return to their homes later on to find them looted? Sad.

It's been all over the news down here in Oz also.
*Come to think of it, Australia (Sydney) is just coming into their Bushfire season*.

So this has become world news now... can't say that surprises me.

The number of evacuees has increased now to higher than 300,000. I have having a hard time coming to terms with what we are dealing with in our state. Those counties affected are in a state of emergency, and are receiving help from the federal level.

From what I understand, this is just a wildfire caused by the dry conditions and fierce winds in the southern part of the state. It is tragic that the biggest of the fires, the Witch Fire, is close to a population center in San Diego county.

I can only try to remain optimistic that the situation will reverse itself, even though it is looking very bleak right now.

This is extremely troubling for my family and I. One of my older sisters live Santa Monica and the fires aren't too far off... But I also have some friends in CA (you guys know who you are).

It's scary to think that these might burn all the way to the ocean. If that does happen though, the fire should run out of fuel... I just hope these winds will stop blowing as hard as they are and for some rain in the area.

Because if this persists... Things will be bad.

This is absolutely devastating. I saw that another peson has died on the news. The fire still persists because of the 100+ temperatures and gale force winds. My heart goes out to all of the people that have had to evacuate.

What I have to say is, that even 1 death is way too many. However this forest fire started, if never should have, and this goes for any murder, blackmail, or federal offence of any sort, I beleive starting a forest fire qualifies.

However, evacuating was probably the only option, and even though many haven't died, they have lost possessions, car's, or anything else they hold dear to them. I also feel for any family members who lost their loved ones. After this fire, they will probably face a great hardship, and if, and more likely WHEN the Red Cross begins a fund to help out any victims or anyone who had to evacuate, myself, and I hope, many others on Pokebeach will donate as much as possible to these people.

I hope they will make it through this. 250,000 lives may be hard to restore, but if everyone has as much kindness as they exert here on Pokebeach, we'll solve this problem in no time.

This really is terrible. I heard it properly on the news tonight, and I can't imagine what the people caught up in this are going through. We can only hope that no one else dies from this and that either the temperature lowers, the wind speed reduces (which is apparently one of the major factors in the spreading of the fires) or that the fire just burns themselves out. However, none of them seem as though they will happen soon.
I hope that the fires stop soon.

Man, I am devestated. I'm just praying that the people will all be safe. My cousins live in California, and they just got married...I hope they will be all right.

Well, Quadlcomm (Spelling ?) Stadium is being used as a refuge center, and that means the fires could only get worse. I wouldn't be suprised if some people are praying for rain...

Hmmm....I heard about this today at CUDD. Forest/Whatever fires are just becoming more and more frequent these days.... :/

Even worse, though, is that a lot of these crazy, life-threatening fires have been being caused by humans' doings. For instance, camping, and leaving a fire burning. Carelessness like that. And, you can't forget the worst: smoking. People just smoke and smoke, and they don't think anything of it. Smoking is NOT a win-win situation, ever. Not only does it kill, seriously disable, destroy body parts, etc. to the smoker (lose), but it can also start terrible semi-UN-natural disasters like such; killing, hurting, or otherwise ruining the lives of thousands of people (lose) (lose + lose = lose-lose situation). Heh, I'm kinda ranting about this, but smoking is wrong. Wrong wrong wrong.

I wouldn't be surprised if smoking is what caused this. I mean, if it were some truck blowing up in a populated area, or some sort of explosion like that, then I think we wouldn't heard about that by now. :/

The cause has been conformed. From all the dry wood, and lack of rain, the wood in the forest just spontaniouslly combusted. I feel for the people and families, as I said before.

I've heard all about this on The Weather Channel and news reports. This is all due to a big high pressure system sitting over the west and bringing lower humidity, higher temperatures (how about 92 F [33 C] near LA metro area?), and heavy winds -- some of which exceed hurricane force. Indeed, what a disaster for fires. I thought I've seen all there was going to be this year dealing with wildfires, but such is not the case. Something like this can happen anytime.

As for the main fires right now, there are two main ones: One is 50 or so miles north of LA, and one is near San Diego, if I remember correctly. The winds coming from the northeast are funneling in the smoke and making it disasterous.

I know some Californians who are being impacted by this disaster. I know not of what it's liked to be driven out of your home, and in fear of losing everything. Though, kudos goes out to the firefighters and everyone who is being affected by this disaster for hanging in there like you are. The winds, heat, and low humidity will start to taper off sooner than you think, but the ongoing fires are going to be hard to contain...

Shawn out.

wait, isnt orange county in the way of the fires? If so wpm is in trouble!!!

i believe the news are in any channel right now...here in México the new reports talks about the fire 24/7...and it´s so desastrous they´re making people evacuate...hope the fire gets extinguished soon....

blazing pokemon master said:
wait, isnt orange county in the way of the fires? If so wpm is in trouble!!!

This is near WPM, but he said he didn't have to be evacuated.

Back