ORAS DexNav Chaining: Improved Shiny Odds Confirm or Deny?

MrSquarepants

Heavenly Illusion Star
Well I don't see anything about the Pokeradar being in this game... a shame since the grasses here and camera angles are so much better than in X and Y but apparently there's a buzz about DexNav chaining. By KOing the same Pokémon you sneak up on, you can apparently run into a shiny as if you were chaining on the Pokeradar. I have no idea if this is true and if it is... what are the mechanics, and do the odds cap at 40 like the Pokeradar chaining?

Im definitely going to be following this thread because I really want to know more about the Dexnav too, its one of my favorite features in the game. Im an avid shiny hunter and I was extremely disappointed to find out that there are no extra ways to shiny hunt in OR/AS like there were in X and Y. No friend safari, no Pokéradar, no chain fishing (unless there is and I missed it?), just regular plain ole' walking in the grass like normal. Im always having to switch between the two cartridges to use X's friend safari for hunting.

I cant really contribute anything though other than that I have a chain of 230something Shroomish and haven't found anything different other than that you have a higher chance to find hidden ability and egg moves, which im pretty sure capped at something a long time ago. I was searching for a HA Quick Feet EM Bullet Seed/non hindering nature Shroomish because I like doing things the hard way. :p

Edit: After watching a few "Dexnav Chaining" videos, it says the chain breaks if you run form the battle, which I did nearly every time. So I didnt have a real chain going on if this information is correct.

It's way too difficult for me to successfully test. Just after a chain of 7 encounters they become way too sensitive to my sneaking and just run away even if they didn't see me.

On water it's even more ridiculous with them playing wack a mole with me. And I was just trying to get a lucky egg. Didn't realize there were videos about it, but I think this is too tedious to hunt shinies...

I would avoid DexNav. I've tried for several days and it looks like chaining doesn't exist, it's 100% luck (Nothing after 300 Shroomishes, 100 Pikachus, or 40ish Elektrikes). Besides, it is too easy to break a chain, it is literally bad luck (The Pokemon Couldn't Be Found!)

The number of times that you've used the Dexnav overall (not just on one specific Pokemon) seems to affect how effectvive it is at finding Pokemon. When I first started playing, it took me quite a while to find special Pokemon, but by the time I got six badges (looking for a vulpix on Mt. Pyre), I was finding Pokemon with egg moves and perfect IVs after just a few encounters. Luck is also involved in this, as I still found several "normal" Vulpix mixed in with the "special" ones. I still have yet to find a shiny.

As far s "chaining" goes, it does seem to exist, but it's not nearly as reliable as the PokeRadar of yore was. Immediately after capturing or defeating a Pokemon, if you use the Dexnav for that same Pokemon, the odds of finding it are higher, and the chances of hidden Ability, egg moves, etc increases. They will laos start to run away faster. Failing to find anything, being spotted, or running from battle will all break the chain and make you start over, and the longer your chain is, the more skittish Pokemon get. I've yet to sucessfully chain more than five Pokemon in this manner. Again, I've not found a shiny, so I can't say if using the Dexnav improves the odds or not. It would make sense if it did, but it wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.

This isnt about shinies, but I did notice something peculiar about the Dexnav.
Im convinced that the egg moves you can get are in fact limited.

I say this because Ive been chaining for a while now looking for an Aqua Jet Marill, and I havent seen a single one and my search level is over 100 now. Literally the only egg moves that its coming up with are Copycat, Camouflage, Body Slam, Encore, Fake Tears, Muddy Water, and Refresh. There are a lot of its other egg moves being left out such as Aqua Jet, Belly Drum, and Future Sight to name a few.

Thinking I was just getting really unlucky, I looked it up, and sure enough, it seems like no one else has gotten one either. They all gave up at around 100. Unless the search level has to be rediculously high, im convinced AJ / BD Marill is impossible without breeding. Has anyone else noticed Dexnav egg move limitations on specific Pokemon?

Reggie McGigas said:
I would avoid DexNav. I've tried for several days and it looks like chaining doesn't exist, it's 100% luck (Nothing after 300 Shroomishes, 100 Pikachus, or 40ish Elektrikes). Besides, it is too easy to break a chain, it is literally bad luck (The Pokemon Couldn't Be Found!)

You miss the point then, and chaining does exist. The whole premise is not finding a shiny Pokemon, just finding an overall better Pokemon with egg moves or IVs, and although unconfirmed, I would LOVE for the shiny chances to be higher when chaining. I plan on doing this with Machop and Numel, as both are very easy to chain, and both look pretty BA shiny.

Equinox said:
Reggie McGigas said:

You miss the point then, and chaining does exist. The whole premise is not finding a shiny Pokemon, just finding an overall better Pokemon with egg moves or IVs, and although unconfirmed, I would LOVE for the shiny chances to be higher when chaining. I plan on doing this with Machop and Numel, as both are very easy to chain, and both look pretty BA shiny.

This guy seems to have it down to an art:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeOpyZf1tnE[/video]

We still need more people to test it though, for all we know he could just be chaining until he gets lucky (500-1000 random encounters.) Whereas with the Pokeradar, once you got past a chain of 40 you had a 1 in 200 or so chance of finding a shiny.

I saw another video by a different player that also talked about shiny chaining with the DexNav. I haven't really been in a position to try it myself yet, but I think I'll try it when I'm later in a game, perhaps for a Tropius.

I'v tried to chain with Pochyeena before * because it's easiest*..

Get my first shiny on DexNav level 70 and Shiny Chain around 35 *used old shiny chain rules with DexNav's and repels*. I think I breask the chain once or twice but I keep DexNav-ing till DexNav lvl 150, no 2nd shiny...

I'm not sure the odds are improve, but obviously, shiny chaining using DexNav is lot's of easier than using PokeDar.

From my experiences, shiny chaining with the DexNav definitely works :D I've also been following aDrive_tk and his hunting.

My first chain was for a Ralts and I got it on the 170 +/- 10th chain. The second one I got was Shiny Swablu on the 200th chain!

Not really sure what I want to chain next, but I am enjoying it!

Back