Destruction or Bust — Should You Play Control?

PMJ

Silhouette Gloom of the Sundown Lands
Forum Head
Articles Head
Elite Member
Advanced Member
Hello, everyone. Recently, I played Control at the Orlando Regional Championships. I was excited to play this archetype after being stuck on Lost Box for a while. Control aggressively targets the top meta decks, which makes it appealing to play in established metagames. However, there is always an inherent risk in playing anti-meta decks, because there is the potential of unexpected or unpopular decks that will completely crush you. Unfortunately, it seems that we respected the player base a bit too much, as people were content to let Lugia VSTAR run wild and counter Control instead (a deck with around a 1% meta share). I’m totally not salty about it.
My tournament was interesting, as I was lucky enough to run into seven Lugia decks and crush them all. However, I lost to not one, not two, but three Lost Box decks that went completely overkill on the Control counters. Of course, none of them...

Continue reading...

> Should you play control?
No, I think discouraging sociopathic behavior in a children's card game, like pinning your opponent down while they try to draw their one-of unsearchable out, should not only be praised, but as a rule for all card games.

> Should you play control?
No, I think discouraging sociopathic behavior in a children's card game, like pinning your opponent down while they try to draw their one-of unsearchable out, should not only be praised, but as a rule for all card games.
>uses strategy to block you opponents outs
> “not fun” because you didn’t worry about those decks
>Thinks fun must go both ways ti be good

>uses strategy to block you opponents outs
> “not fun” because you didn’t worry about those decks
>Thinks fun must go both ways ti be good
yes, cause searchable floodgates is much more fair then those unsearchable outs.
and yes, fun must go both ways in a 2-player game.

Back