• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

DelBoar (Delphox / Emboar)

Luispipe8

Pokémon Professor
Pokemon: 15
  • 3 Fennekin KSS(Kalos Starter Set)
  • 1 Braixen KSS
  • 3 Delphox XY
  • 3 Tepig LTR
  • 1 Pignite LTR
  • 3 Emboar LTR
  • 1 Reshiram NXD

Trainers: 33
  • 3 N
  • 3 Professor Juniper
  • 2 Skyla
  • 4 Rare Candy
  • 4 Ultra Ball
  • 2 Level Ball
  • 2 Professor's Letter
  • 4 Superior Energy Retrieval
  • 1 Evosoda
  • 2 Tool Scrapper
  • 1 Super Rod
  • 2 Float Stone
  • 1 Switch
  • 1 Escape Rope
  • 1 Dowsing Machine

Energy: 12
  • 12 Fire

Strategy
A Fire version of Blastoise/Keldeo. I always use 1 of the Stage 1 Pokémon, but with Evo Soda I placed in another Braixen. The Superior Energy Retrievals to recover the energy lost on the KO'd Delphox, Reshiram as a starter, since in T2 can give back the damage it took. The thin Supporter line is due to Delphox's Mystical Fire ability, which helps a lot. Just build a lot of Delphox as soon as you can and hit hard.

RE: DelBoar

Not sure why you have Reshiram, Delphox is just as good. I would, however, recommend considering Mew-EX. It can copy Delphox's attack without you having to worry about losing your time and effort from setting up.
SER is unnecessary as well as you aren't discarding Energy like you are in Blastoise.
Catcher is dud. There's no need to play it now, ever.
Also as Delphox is your attacker you might want to go with 4-2-4, otherwise if one is prized and one has been lost, you only have one good attacker left.

My suggestions:
-2 Catcher
-2 SER
-2 Reshiram

+1 Fennekin
+1 Delphox
+1 Mew-EX
+2 Float Stone
+1 N

Ryan Sinclair said:
Not sure why you have Reshiram, Delphox is just as good. I would, however, recommend considering Mew-EX. It can copy Delphox's attack without you having to worry about losing your time and effort from setting up.
SER is unnecessary as well as you aren't discarding Energy like you are in Blastoise.
Catcher is dud. There's no need to play it now, ever.
Also as Delphox is your attacker you might want to go with 4-2-4, otherwise if one is prized and one has been lost, you only have one good attacker left.

My suggestions:
-2 Catcher
-2 SER
-2 Reshiram

+1 Fennekin
+1 Delphox
+1 Mew-EX
+2 Float Stone
+1 N

Ok, let's see.
The Catchers: I know there is ALMOST no point in playing them, but there's still the chance it happens. I'll consider it, though.

Mew-EX: The thing is that the prize trade in this deck is awesome, they'll have to KO all my Delphox and Emboar or Kwldeo to win. Putting Mew-EX would ruin that, and specially because Delphox is bulkier than Mew.. If I get my hands on one, I'll try it, sure, but I don't think it will be very good.

Float Stones and N: Why would I play 4 Float Stones? FOUR?! And with Keldeo in there?! XDD You lost a couple screws in there, pal. :p Ok, in all seriuosness, no. And the 3 N is because I don't need that many Supporters because of Mystical Fire.

Reshiram: I need some Big Basic to start with or to hit fast if I can't set up some Delphox.That is a MUST in Emboar decks,and It feel safer to play it that way.

S.E.R.: I thought about it a lot, and, to be honest, you are right. I'll add a Fennekin and a Delphox in exchange.

Thanks for the feedback! :D

Edit: For now, instead, I'll remove 1 Catcher and 1 S.E.R. instead of both S.E.R. to test it.

I misread, I didn't think you had Float Stone in there to start with! Ignore me there, haha!

With a line of 4 Delphox, Mew becomes a lot more optional, but with only 3 then Mew becomes extremely useful. If you're bumping to four foxes then it's not too necessary :)

The thing about Delphox's ability over N, that makes sense. Fair one there dude. :)

its an interesting idea but one flaw I see is that most of your Pokemon are stage 2 which could cause you trouble when setting up
-2 Reshiram
-2 SER
-1 Switch

+2 Escape Rope
+1 Energy Retrieval
+1 Fennekin
+1 Delphox

Ryan Sinclair said:
I misread, I didn't think you had Float Stone in there to start with! Ignore me there, haha!

With a line of 4 Delphox, Mew becomes a lot more optional, but with only 3 then Mew becomes extremely useful. If you're bumping to four foxes then it's not too necessary :)

The thing about Delphox's ability over N, that makes sense. Fair one there dude. :)
Haha, thanks, dude!

ToxiBerny said:
its an interesting idea but one flaw I see is that most of your Pokemon are stage 2 which could cause you trouble when setting up
-2 Reshiram
-2 Catcher
-2 SER
-1 Switch
-1 Ultra Ball

+3 Escape Rope
+1 Energy Retrieval
+2 Mew-EX
+1 Fennekin
+1 Delphox

Why does everyone hates poor Reshiram? TT.TT Ok, Berny, here's the deal:

-Escape Rope: Absootely not. It can give my opponent an exit instead of providing me a KO. I'd rather try and use the Catcher.

-I made Ryan's changes and been left with 1 S.E.R. and 1 Catcher; and Mew, as we stated up there, it's not necessary.

-Switch: God, no. I always playa 2/1 Split of Float Stone and Switch to cover switching when needed, scaping conditions and avoid retreat stalling.

TBH, the changes you suggest are similar to Ryan's, so I I can't say anything different. Except that I keep a S.E.R. if I lose a heavy loaded Delphox or such, and a Catcher for the opportunity.

sorry forget the mews...
lemme explain fellow costa rican I do see your point with ropes and the switch but by using 2 SER means you will have to discard important cards in a deck with limited resources while energy retrieval gives you 2 energy for free

ToxiBerny said:
sorry forget the mews...
lemme explain fellow costa rican I do see your point with ropes and the switch but by using 2 SER means you will have to discard important cards in a deck with limited resources while energy retrieval gives you 2 energy for free

I know, that's why I only left one. :p It's 1 S.E.R. and 2 Energy Retrievals.

Another card to consider is Super Rod for some mid game recovery, get a evolution tree back in the deck or more energy, whatever the situation calls for. It also synergizes with Delphox's ability because of the chance to draw into cards you put back in.

Reshiram: I don't understand the hate for it either, I really like this card! 3 energy to do 120 damage? Yes please! It also has Outrage as a kind of deterrent.

Actually, instead of Super Rod or something, Entei EX is another suggestion! It has energy recovery in Grand Flame while doing good damage.

TheElite711 said:
Another card to consider is Super Rod for some mid game recovery, get a evolution tree back in the deck or more energy, whatever the situation calls for. It also synergizes with Delphox's ability because of the chance to draw into cards you put back in.

Reshiram: I don't understand the hate for it either, I really like this card! 3 energy to do 120 damage? Yes please! It also has Outrage as a kind of deterrent.

Actually, instead of Super Rod or something, Entei EX is another suggestion! It has energy recovery in Grand Flame while doing good damage.

Oh, my God, I totally forgot about Super Rod!!! I usually play 1 in every deck and forgot to put it here. Any suggestions on what should I take out?

Man...thats a good question. Pretty much every card here has a use of some kind. I would say take the Catchers out due to their inconsistencies, but when it goes off it really does help in a pinch. Another idea is to take out the Colress because Delphox already gives you some good drawpower. Colress is never fun early draw. Then another is at least 1 Energy Retrieval because you'll be putting energies and more in your deck already, again Delphox helping possibly draw into cards.

Alright, how about take out 1 Energy Retrieval and 1 SER for 2 Super Rods? You won't really be discarding Fire energies often enough to justify having multiple Retrieval cards in it like RayBoar.

But I only run 10 energies. Let's say a Delphox with 5 energy gets KO'd. That'll let me only half my energies. I think removing one Energy Retrieval will do, but not all of them.

Well most definitely not all of them, but its a tough call to me on what to take out for the Super Rods lol.

Surprise contender: Simisear from Plasma Storm. It's good midrange: 90HP Stage 1, Searing Flame deals 20 and Burns for one Fire. And once you get Emboar up and running, Flame Blast is DEVASTATING. 40 damage initially, plus 20 for each Fire energy attached. And the XY Starter Collection has a good Pansear with Collect for early card advantage.

I'd run something like this

3-1-3 Delphox XY
4-1-3 Emboar LT
2 Pansear XY
2 Simisear PLS
1 Reshiram (pick any Outrage, I'll say B/W Full Art to be clever)

3 Rare Candy
2 Evolutionary Soda
3 Ultra Ball
1 Level Ball
2 Heavy Ball
2 Escape Rope
2 Muscle Band
1 Dowsing Machine

4 Skyla
3 N

2 Pokemon Center

14 Basic Fire Energy

Not particularly flashy, just bare-bones Fire Accel. Pity we don't have an Afterburner effect like Typhlosion Prime in format, because that made this deck insane back in the day.

The use of Escape Rope vs. Catcher vs. Switch/Float Stone is one that can be argued over and over again. All the cards have their merits, I prefer Escape Rope. Why?

Because your opponent has to switch first.

People miss that. They see "Both players switch" and immediately pass it over for other things, like Catcher or Switch. But they miss the reminder text, and don't realize that Escape Rope isn't an really an escape. Your opponent may THINK they've just trounced you with a clever switch on their side- until you trade in their weakness when it's your turn to switch. Escape Rope is meant to give you the advantage, you just have to play the card wording properly.

Shinigami said:
Surprise contender: Simisear from Plasma Storm. It's good midrange: 90HP Stage 1, Searing Flame deals 20 and Burns for one Fire. And once you get Emboar up and running, Flame Blast is DEVASTATING. 40 damage initially, plus 20 for each Fire energy attached. And the XY Starter Collection has a good Pansear with Collect for early card advantage.

I'd run something like this

3-1-3 Delphox XY
4-1-3 Emboar LT
2 Pansear XY
2 Simisear PLS
1 Reshiram (pick any Outrage, I'll say B/W Full Art to be clever)

3 Rare Candy
2 Evolutionary Soda
3 Ultra Ball
1 Level Ball
2 Heavy Ball
2 Escape Rope
2 Muscle Band
1 Dowsing Machine

4 Skyla
3 N

2 Pokemon Center

14 Basic Fire Energy

Not particularly flashy, just bare-bones Fire Accel. Pity we don't have an Afterburner effect like Typhlosion Prime in format, because that made this deck insane back in the day.

The use of Escape Rope vs. Catcher vs. Switch/Float Stone is one that can be argued over and over again. All the cards have their merits, I prefer Escape Rope. Why?

Because your opponent has to switch first.

People miss that. They see "Both players switch" and immediately pass it over for other things, like Catcher or Switch. But they miss the reminder text, and don't realize that Escape Rope isn't an really an escape. Your opponent may THINK they've just trounced you with a clever switch on their side- until you trade in their weakness when it's your turn to switch. Escape Rope is meant to give you the advantage, you just have to play the card wording properly.

I see your list and see many flaws:
-No switch cards whatsoever apart from Escape Rope.
-Running another evolution in this deck will crush it's consistency, apart that Simisear is very frail.
-4 Skyla has always beben, to me, a HUGE overkill. In the case of your list, I'd rather use 2 of those in favor of Junipers, amd will be missing another one.
- Heavy Ball can only be used to search for Emboar. It's just a waste.

My list, on the other hand, is mostly about consistency. Everything there has a purpose. Fell free to ask for any of the cards and I'll tell you why. Thanks anyways!!!

DelBoar

Sorry, I know this thread was a bit older, but this deck really interested me. Your list looks pretty solid, but I have a few comments/questions.

1. Ideally, you want to get 4-5 Stage 2s in play. With that many Stage 2s needed, do you think it would be better to run 4 Rare Candy? Or does Delphox help you set everything up fairly quickly?

2. Delphox's ability is powerful (I would know, I played Magnezone) but eight supporters still seems small when most other decks are playing 13+. Which leads me to #3...

3. I would recommend adding a 4th N. In the early game, it's a 6-card refresh for both players, but as the game goes on your opponent will draw fewer card each time. You, however, will be able to still get that 6-card hand with Delphox. N seems to play directly into the strategy of your deck.
I would probably drop a Catcher for an N.

4. You have a lot of low-count Items. I would consider adding a 3rd Skyla just to make sure you get the card you need.

5. Don't give in to the hate on Reshiram.

6. Finally, have you updated your list recently? It seems out of date compared with the comments you've left.

That's it. Hope I helped, and good luck!

agree with the escape rope , has saved me many matches
but consider this: if you have dead cards in your hand , mystical fire loses "draw power" then ultra ball will be more usefull than level/heavy balls, same thing about +SER -energy retrieval ... then super rod becomes vital in this deck xD

Sorry for the lack of updates and replies, I haven't used the PC in almost 2 weeks, I only browsed through my cell phone... XD But let's get to the business.

-If I get my hands on some Escape Ropes, I'll give them a shot.

-About S.E.R. and E.R., I'll first test 2 Super/1 Regular, that "dead hand" thing really reached me. XD

-If I could find room for the 4th N(and also for any Gust card I'd play), I'll throw them in undoubtely.

-A third Skyla is a DEFINITE NO. I always hate when I need some draw power desperately and the card I top-deck, instead of ANY other suporter, is a Skyla. I play 2 just for that reason you say, to search for some Trainer I don't have at the moment, but it's not a card I depend on totally. I'd rather play Gold Potion as my ACE-Spec instead... XD

Edit: 300th post, yeah!! :p

Did everybody forget about garbodor who kills all abilities so a sniper or a catcher is a must in this deck otherwise it will be completely shutdown. You can also add 1or2 genesect ex met 2-4 plasma energy

Never mind about genesect XD garbodor will shut down his ability too

Back