Definition of "beating a game"

Zero

Renegade Writer
This has bugged me for a LONG time. What would ya'll consider the definition of "beating a game" be? Would it be completing the major quest, or all of the side quests. N00bs will always ask me if I "beat game X", and I'd almost always reply no, as I am not a completionist. They would show me their save, and they would be hours of gameplay behind me... but still haven completed the main quest.

So what do you guys think?

To me, beating a game is finishing the main scenario.

Completing a game is getting 100% completion, which is something I almost never do.

Yup, beating, or rather finishing ('beating' makes games sound like they have no story, so I say finish - you don't 'beat' books ;o), means accomplishing the main task of the story, besting the final boss and all. Everything after is completion or post-story.

Zenith said:

Completing a game is getting 100% completion, which is something I almost never do.

This :3
I always thought that beating a game meant you have completed the central storyline, while completing a game is finishing all of the side quests/ect.

Zenith said:

Zenith said:

This is exactly it.

Although I've never cleared any games. >_>

If you see an ending that dosen't result in "But the future refused to change" I think that counts as a victory.

Zenith said:

This.
I've beaten alot of games,but I've never completed one...

I think that beating a game is finishing the campaign, defeating the final boss, etc..

Completing a game would be like what zenith said, completing everything that can possibly be completed in a game, like maxing out your multiplayer level, completing every challenge, catching every pokemon and training it, and so on.

Beating a game is getting all the achievements, because usually getting them all involves doing everything the game has to offer. For Wii or DS or systems w/o achievements just doing everything possible, and doing it perfectly. For example ive been playing Mario Kart DS recently (amazing game) And ive been working on getting 3 stars on all the race tracks, all CCs. And when ive done that + 3 stars on all the missions ill consider it beating the game.... oh and beating the developer times on time trials :p

Back