Decolora Adventure: A thrilling experience, or waste of time? We'll see!

Elite Stride

♫ I'm on the road to Viridian City ♫
I thought we'd take the opportunity to make this thread for the community to host comments and discussion over the new season of Pokemon, Decolora Adventure, which started just a short while go in the U.S. For our friends out there who live under rocks, let me recap where we're at:

After failing in the Unova League, and foiling Team Plasma's plans for the capture of Reshiram and eventual world domination, Ash decides to head back home to Pallet town. Interested in the wonders beyond Unova, Iris and Cilan make a last minute decision to accompany Ash to the Kanto region. Looks like the haters will have to deal with Cilan for a while longer. Anyway, Professor Juniper convinces them to take a cruise ship to Kanto, which also happens to be stopping in the Decolore islands along the way. After running into some trouble with Team Rocket at port, they're finally en route for the islands, the first of which is Honey Island, obviously notable for its honey.

We'd love to hear what YOU think about each episode in the new season of Best Wishes: Da! This is your 'go to' place every week after watching the latest episode.

To get us started, here are my own thoughts on what we've seen so far:
Danger, Sweet as Honey - 8/3/13

I usually try not to overly criticize or hate on episodes, but the Decolore saga is just not off to a running head start with this particular episode. The best way I can describe this episode is: typical typical typical. Those who have watched a great deal of Pokemon will know exactly what I'm talking about here. I don't mean to be untastely here but the plot of this episode has been eaten and regurgitated 50 times over since at least the Advanced generation.

Team Rocket shows up,
they face off with Ash and the crew,
Team Rocket causes a disruption or explosion,
everyone gets seperated,
Meowth is with Ash's Pokemon and spends the rest of the episode trying to lead them back to Jessie/James.

As I was watching this I was just facepalming that they are still using this plot, and I just pray that they don't carry the same mistakes over to Kalos. What did you guys think about Meowth getting stun spored halfway through the episode? It's just funny that they couldn't even include ONE new thing in the episode because we've seen this a lot too. Someone gets hurt and everyone works together to rectify the problem. This is reused, lazy screenwriting on the part of the developers, and I would really urge viewers not to judge Decolora on this episode, because I think it's a simple case of bad first impressions- at least I hope.
Cilan and the Case of the Purrloin Witness! - 8/10/13

I think that this episode somewhat redeemed the mess that was made in the previous one. There's always a higher level of excitement when there is a tournament going on, and this time everything takes place on the cruise liner instead. It's nice to know that it probably won't be a new island every single episode because it's important that we get a change of scenery. I also really enjoyed the fact that there was an entire mystery playing out that piqued my interest a little more than the average episode-- first it leaves you guessing what possible history Cilan has with Mrs. Nipple and her Purrloin that could be causing his extreme discomfort, and then the "mystery" surrounding the crime against her. It kept be engaged and wanting to know more, and the mystery wasn't something so elementary that you could guess what happened from the beginning.

Side note: I find it funny that characters in the show can't even stand Cilan's "detective time".

It was fun hearing the case being solved at the end. Although I would have preferred if the gem thief, instead of being taken by the detective, had poured gasoline on himself, lit himself on fire, and then jumped over the side of the ship to avoid capture.

What did you all think about Mr. Shaw? I think it was cool that they made it look extremely obvious that it was him that stole the gem, but in the end they did a plot twist and he was really not involved in any way. I mean you knew that Teak was involved, but you might have only thought he was an accomplice or something.

Also, does anyone have any speculation for why Cilan is afraid of Purrloin? They purposefully don't let the views hear why at the very end.

So what did everyone think?

--------------
Coming Next week:

The Path That Leads to Goodbye! --> Are Ash and Iris having issues?

Already Aired:

Danger, Sweet as Honey!
Cilan and the Case of the Purrloin Witness!
Crowning the Scalchop King!
The Island of Illusions!
To Catch a Rotom!
The Pirates of Decolore!
Butterfree and Me!
The Path That Leads to Goodbye
Searching For A Wish
Capacia Island UFO
The Journalist from Another Region!
Mystery on a Deserted Island!

I was honestly hoping they'd just go right to Kanto, but noooooo.

This is just for the English Dub, right? I've been watching the Japanese episodes when they came out so i'm a little farther ahead and I skip around.

I think that team rocket downgraded from there new badass theme like they went back how they acted like they did in Kanto( touching back into their old roots XD) and Elite Stride, I also wonder what a purloin did to Cilan to make him uncomfortable also.

Waste of time. Outside of like two episodes, there have not been any Pokémon battles and the only time Charizard shows up is to find whatever Potd.

A lot of episodes in BW: DA are re-used plot from older episodes.
  • Farewell, Unova! Setting Sail for New Adventures! - Any goodbye episode to do with a ship.
  • Danger, Sweet as Honey! - Re-used from any episode where Meowth pretends to be a good guy. (There are quite a lot of them).
  • Crowning the Scalchop King! - A less interesting version of "Cream of the Croagunk Crop!" and the end of "Go West Young Meowth"
  • The Island of Illusions! - Bits of the episode are re-used from "Island of the Giant Pokémon" and "The Lost World of Gothitelle!"
  • Satoshi and Butterfree! Until the Day We Meet Again!! - Bits of the episode are re-used from " Bye-Bye Butterfree", "Cottonee in Love!" and "The Lonely Deino!"
  • Satoshi and Iris's Severed Relationship!? The Path of Separation!! - Less gender-centered version of "The Bicker the Better"
  • Pansy Appears! Erikiteru and Gōgōto!! - Re-used from "Ring Masters"
  • Ibuki and Iris! The Different Colored Crimgan!! - Heavy on animation errors, much like season one.
  • Emonga Joins Rocket-dan! - Seems to be re-used from "A Scare to Remember!"

Decolora Adventure isn't too bad for the anime, but I wouldn't consider it to be amazing either.

It's really fillerish, but I don't know what I really expected. >_>

I'm mainly only watching for all the Gen VI Pokémon episodes.

RE: Decolora AdventuA thrilling experience, or waste of time? We'll see!

Vast said:
Decolora Adventure isn't too bad for the anime, but I wouldn't consider it to be amazing either.

It's really fillerish, but I don't know what I really expected. >_>

I'm mainly only watching for all the Gen VI Pokémon episodes.

Agreed plus i am trying to get used to cilan so i can watch bw saga on youtube
and anyways they did this just so they could learn about more XY pokemon to plan how ash loses the next league.

Yeah, I preferred Brock over Cilan. Cilan was fine, but he got really annoying after a while.

It's nice seeing the Gen VI Pokémon in the anime so early though since we don't have the games yet.

Vast said:
Yeah, I preferred Brock over Cilan. Cilan was fine, but he got really annoying after a while.

It's nice seeing the Gen VI Pokémon in the anime so early though since we don't have the games yet.

Hehe yea good news for Cilan haters though when Ash gets off the plane in X and Y anime preview you cannot see Cilan.

Also to stay on topic currently it is neutral the first episode is a remake of others. However the second is a relatively new story so I currently can't choose if it is worth the time.

Yeah, I'm not sure who he'll be replaced by though. I'm hoping for him to only have one companion for the next series. It would be more interesting and it would probably advance the plot quicker.

Aye, it isn't all that bad though.

I didn't know that Ash and Co. are heading to Kanto...I only watch the anime through the official website and I'm seeing the Decolora episodes as they are aired in Japan on youtube. So, does that mean that Cilan will perhaps meet Brock!? Hell no...Cilan and Brcok's mother would make an awesome duo (remember that episode when she redecorated Pewter's Gym) -_- Brock and Cilan could also open a restaurant mixing flavors from Kanto and Isshu while spicing it with battles and evaluation time.

Back to the topic, like @Vast said, I too only watch it because of 6th gen. Pokémon. So far, the only episode that I liked it was the one on Treasure Island. Al the others and this arc...meh.

Edit: I've just watched Noivern's debut episode and SPOILER ALERT it's a copy from the episode "The Ghost of Maiden's Peak" regarding the girl who after all is a human ghost (in the other episode it was a Gastly but there was also the maiden's ghost).

I personally find it a waste of time, filler saga or individual episode. I saw Crowning the Scalchop King yesterday, and it sucked. It was a direct ripoff of the Croagunk Crop episode from Sinnoh.

dreamteamofgleam said:
I personally find it a waste of time, filler saga or individual episode. I saw Crowning the Scalchop King yesterday, and it sucked. It was a direct ripoff of the Croagunk Crop episode from Sinnoh.

I did I list of the episodes BW Da rips off in a post above (in spoiler tags).

To Catch a Rotom! aired this morning on CN. For those still waiting for the new episode online, did anyone see The Island of Illusions last week? What did you think?

I mean at first I was wondering what the heck is wrong with these producers because it was a direct rip off of one of the most well known episodes (Island of the Giant Pokemon). Do they think we've forgotten or something, lol? To be fair, I should actually just say partial rip off, because the second half of the episode focused entirely on the Pokemon Center situation instead of giant Pokemon inhabiting the island. Personally I thought that was kind of redeeming for the episode because the whole back story between Zoroark and nurse Joy was kinda cute- so I wasn't as annoyed. If you like nostalgic, heartfelt reunions between human and Pokemon, be sure to watch this. I think my favorite part was probably when TR went suicidal and jumped off the cliff, and when Ash mistook the shopkeeper for a Snorlax. haha

Although the episodes in this chain (I think) are fun to watch- the fact still remains that we still haven't been seeing a lot of new content. Claire is on one of these dang islands somewhere, I'm looking forward to it because it sounds like a promising episode.

BE SURE to check out this week's episode To Catch a Rotom! later tonight when it finds it way on Pokemonepisode.org, if you haven't already TiVo'd it of course!

My problem with the second half of the Zoroark ep, is it reminds me of the Gothitelle episode, as it's pretty much the exact same thing.

I liked how in the Rotom episode this week, Ash actually remembered that he saw a Rotom in Sinnoh. Another wonderful display of how producers will sometimes acknowledge the past, and sometimes not - which obviously causes problems in continuity with the show.

My other thoughts...

-Professor Oak's voice was extra annoying in this one, and he screams like a little girl.
-A quote that made me facepalm: Iris (referring to how many rotom were in the wires), "Look! There's two more!" Cilan: "THAT MAKES THREE!" ......Lol? Are we watching Dora here?
-TR is pretty funny, as usual. :) Although I don't get why they don't have every right to catch the Rotom as well....

Elite Stride said:
I liked how in the Rotom episode this week, Ash actually remembered that he saw a Rotom in Sinnoh. Another wonderful display of how producers will sometimes acknowledge the past, and sometimes not - which obviously causes problems in continuity with the show.

My other thoughts...

-Professor Oak's voice was extra annoying in this one, and he screams like a little girl.
-A quote that made me facepalm: Iris (referring to how many rotom were in the wires), "Look! There's two more!" Cilan: "THAT MAKES THREE!" ....Lol? Are we watching Dora here?
-TR is pretty funny, as usual. :) Although I don't get why they don't have every right to catch the Rotom as well....
Yeah I got a couple facepalms from this one two. Most of the time it was just stupid comments they made. I will admit it is fun to make fun of the show.

I'm always glad when I see Ash remembering his past; it gives me hope he will someday get better.

I thought it was funny how positive the people are when talking about the Rotom causing trouble and purposely scaring people. I remember episodes where similar things could get people to rebel against the Pokémon!

It was hilarious to see professor Oak attempt to catch Rotom the first time; besides a world famous professor acting like a noob, he also quoted the game when he almost caught a Pokémon!

I just saw the new episode. Trouble making Water-type Pokémon that join officer Jenny's rescue team? Hmm.. :p It was a fun episode, nevertheless, and brought up some nostalgic memories!

Who else thought it was hilarious to see Oshawott in "action"? This episode got me really curious about what happened with Snivy and her previous trainer. In the episode she was caught it was stated that Snivy leaves trainers when they are not skilled enough; now it is again mentioned that she has zero patience for "loser" trainers. Did she really leave her trainer for being weak or was more going on?

With Azumarill in the episode I kept thinking "use a Fairy-type move, we know you can do it!". It didn't happen, though. :( I wonder whether the new type will be introduced at the end of this season or that we have to wait for the next season. It will be awesome to see the Fairy type really being used! :D

Ahhhh *Kicks back*

Butterfree and Me was such a simple episode that didn't really propel any kind of story, but nonetheless, I loved it! Especially the last 5 minutes or so. The nostalgia was just all over the place I was getting goose bumps, haha. I thought it was kind of cute that Ash got to relive his very first Pokemon. Although I knew that his Butterfree wasn't going to be in the episode, I did have a small ounce of hope that maybe they would tie it all together with a reunion, but obviously that wasn't the case. I wonder where his Butterfree could be these days...

We're reliving a lot of old concepts in Decolore so far. Could this possibly be intentional? I mean we are seeing this new Gotta Catch 'Em all site that some think is appealing to the older fans. Maybe Da! is part of this same 'nostalgic' campaign before X/Y. Food for thought.

Elite Stride said:
Ahhhh *Kicks back*

Butterfree and Me was such a simple episode that didn't really propel any kind of story, but nonetheless, I loved it! Especially the last 5 minutes or so. The nostalgia was just all over the place I was getting goose bumps, haha. I thought it was kind of cute that Ash got to relive his very first Pokemon. Although I knew that his Butterfree wasn't going to be in the episode, I did have a small ounce of hope that maybe they would tie it all together with a reunion, but obviously that wasn't the case. I wonder where his Butterfree could be these days...

We're reliving a lot of old concepts in Decolore so far. Could this possibly be intentional? I mean we are seeing this new Gotta Catch 'Em all site that some think is appealing to the older fans. Maybe Da! is part of this same 'nostalgic' campaign before X/Y. Food for thought.

Since people think the theme of the X and Y games is beauty I think he might see it at kalos in the show hence them making this episode so that they can do whatever they want in the episode he sees it i.

Back