Help Decklist Writing

MegaAbsol10

I'm playing Big Blacephalon next quarter :)
So, I've obviously written a decklist before, but I've always been careful with this. If you have 2 cards that are the exact same, but have different set numbers (e.g. using a Normal Zoroark-GX and a RR Zoroark-GX ) do you have to write them separately, or can you just write them all as the same number. And does the same apply to cards that are in a set and have a promo (e.g Let Loose Marshadow being in SLG and being SMPR85). I'm curious as to if I'm being over cautious, or you do actually have to write them separately. Thanks!

You have to write down each Pokemon that has a different set number. The list has to be a an actual reflection of your deck, otherwise you'll be asked to correct it before an event or produce the correct cards at a tier 2 or higher where they aren't checking decks as you walk in.

I ask people to correct these issues as I go over their lists at tier 1 events. At tier 2 we've given out plenty of penalties for legal deck list / legal deck, and those are ultimately resolved by making the deck reflect the list. You can't do it the other way around once it's been submitted and the event has started.

Last edited:
You have to write down each Pokemon that has a different set number. The list has to be a an actual reflection of your deck, otherwise you'll be asked to correct it before an event or produce the correct cards at a tier 2 or higher where they aren't checking decks as you walk in.

I ask people to correct these issues as I go over their lists at tier 1 events. At tier 2 we've given out plenty of penalties for legal deck list / legal deck, and those are ultimately resolved by making the deck reflect the list. You can't do it the other way around once it's been submitted and the event has started.
Thanks @PokeMedic

I know you have to seperate the rarity/promos when writing down the pokémon on your decklist, but why isn't this applicable for trainer cards as well? I mean you get different artwork there as well.

I know you have to seperate the rarity/promos when writing down the pokémon on your decklist, but why isn't this applicable for trainer cards as well? I mean you get different artwork there as well.

We should, but no one really makes a point to do it. Cynthia is just one card with one set of instructions, but there are several different Lycanroc-GX out there that all have different moves and abilities. A Pokemon itself can have the same name but have totally different cards within one rotation of a format, but supporters are always just one card all the time and don't share names. We have, what, four different versions of Lillie? They all do the exact same thing though, so it's not something people get too worried about I suppose.

I'm not sure I know where the official rule for this is, but I thought trainers *by rule* don't have versions - you can never have two Lillies that do two different things (even in Expanded). If they ever change the text on a trainer, it automatically applies to all trainers with that name - no?

I'm not sure I know where the official rule for this is, but I thought trainers *by rule* don't have versions - you can never have two Lillies that do two different things (even in Expanded). If they ever change the text on a trainer, it automatically applies to all trainers with that name - no?
A card can have the same effect, but a different name (e.g. Cheren, Tierno and Hau all draw 3 but have different names) but cards will never have the same name with different effects (in expanded) I say only in expanded as great ball used to be a modern day nest ball, and pre ace spec master ball used to be a modern day great ball.

A card can have the same effect, but a different name (e.g. Cheren, Tierno and Hau all draw 3 but have different names) but cards will never have the same name with different effects (in expanded) I say only in expanded as great ball used to be a modern day nest ball, and pre ace spec master ball used to be a modern day great ball.
Right - and you can't have more than 4 of the same effect regardless of name, right? (Or is that specific to Juniper/Sycamore?)

Back