• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Deck suggestions (and meta explanation) for returning player

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
Hello,
I used to play tcg back when mewtwo ex came out in the black/white era. Can someone explain what the meta is like now?
Like what tech cards do most decks use, what decks are being played, etc..
I know the format is being rotated soon, so some post-rotation decks that are not super expensive would be appreciated.
Thank you for your time!

Trainer Josh

Competitive TCG Player
Hey! Glad to hear you are getting back into the TCG, that being said you have been gone for a long time. Here is a little info on the current meta and what you have missed:
  • Garbodor/Drampa-GX is currently the most dominant deck in the meta and seen by many as the Seismitoad-EX/Night March of this rotation. Vespiquen decks are also considered very powerful, but lack popularity as of recently.
  • A new set by the name of Burning Shadows was just released this August.
  • Currently the meta ranges from expansion sets Primal Clash-Guardians Rising. As of the 2017-2018 rotation it will be Breakthrough-Burning Shadows. This will change of course as they add new expansions throughout the year.
  • Honestly, tech cards aren't as important as they have been in previous formats. A couple tech cards that do exist are, Field Blower (Garbodor), Oricorio (Vespiquen), Karen (Vespiquen), Giratina Promo (Greninja BREAK/Zoroark BREAK). Can't list anymore off the top of my head, but there are a coupe more. Aside from Field Blower, I would only recommend running tech cards if you suffer a weakness to another popular deck.
  • There is a new system called BREAK Pokémon. You can google how they work pretty easily.
  • There is a new system called GX Pokémon. Once again, for more info you can google exactly how they work.
  • The best way to learn about the best decks and cards in the meta are to watch recent regionals, nationals, and internationals. Merely a helpful tip, not advice or help on the current meta.
Hopefully I helped answer a few of your questions, even though I definitely missed a couple points I can't remember. Regardless, others should fill in the blank spots. Now cheap decks for 2017-2018 meta:
  • Greninja BREAK
  • Sylveon-GX
Honestly, those are the only meta deck I can think of that's really cheap. This is because they doesn't run a Pokémon called Tapu Lele-GX. Tapu Lele is considered a very valuable Pokémon that is run in almost all decks, therefore it's price has skyrocketed to $45 now. It ability acts as a search engine for supporters when placed onto the bench, so people love to use it for consistency.

As I said before, I definitely missed some things others can help with, good luck!

Last edited:

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
Thank you for this! I am looking to run a golisopod GX variant, it isnt the cheapest but yeah it seems like you really need those tapu leles to be competitively viable. I'm going to have to try and buy at least 2 by the time i play in any official tournaments