Discussion Deck Profile: Xerneas Break

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Hey everyone, it's been a while since my last article, but I'm back with another one here on the Beach! Today, I'll be going over one of my favorite new plays for Standard, Xerneas Break, and the potential it has in the current format! Why would this deck make a comeback and what new cards could improve its performance? Stay tuned to find the answers to these questions and more!

===================================================
The Current Format<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
===================================================

With the recent legality of Pokémon TCG: Forbidden Light set, the Standard format has dramatically shifted to accommodate some new competitors, the most popular of which are Malamar variants. As discussed in previous articles, the metagame once consisted of three big decks: Garbodor, Buzzwole GX, and Zoroark GX. Now, Malamar decks enter the field and have replaced Garbodor as the new Psychic type variant. In the weeks before Forbidden Light's legality, Buzzwole GX dominated the format and won Sao Paulo Internationals, a SPE in Bangkok, and Toronto Regionals to prove its power. This buildup eventually led to Malamar being a favorable play throughout the world in hopes of countering Buzzwole GX, not to mention having a decent matchup against Zoroark GX variants.

====================================================
"Break"ing Bounderies<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
====================================================

In the past, Xerneas Break has been a decent deck used in a multitude of tournaments throughout the 2016-2017 season. Unfortunately, Xerneas Break hasn't made T0p Cut in a major tournament since London Internationals which was held in November. Xerneas' energy acceleration wasn't able to match the speed of other decks and was soon overrun. This realization by players left Xerneas Break on the sidelines of the format and has seen little to no play at all. One factor that contributed to this was the increase of the HP "hotspot" from 180 to 210, which was a lot harder for Xerneas Break to hit at the time (not to mention Gardevoir GX and Metagross GX having even higher HP). Another point that was mentioned above was Xerneas Break's lack of speed, which combined with the higher HP hotspot, made the deck crumble under the weight of the ever-shifting format.

There are a couple of bright spots in Xerneas Break though, one of which includes giving up only one prize per turn. I personally believe that if your going to play a slower deck, you would have even more success if you can simultaneously slow your opponent down. One way of doing that is to give up less prizes then your opponent, which decks like Xerneas Break of Greninja Break do particularly well at. Another factor is the deck's lack of a simple counter unlike Greninja Break or Stall variants.

Since we've now had a brief background of the deck, let's take a look at my personal list for Xerneas Break using cards from Forbidden Light to amplify its power!

=====================================================
Xerneas Break<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 11

* 1 Oranguru SUM 113
* 4 Xerneas STS 81
* 3 Xerneas BREAK STS 82
* 1 Mewtwo EVO 51
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 3 Choice Band GRI 121
* 1 Counter Catcher CIN 91
* 2 Cynthia UPR 119
* 4 Diantha FLI 130
* 3 Exp. Share SUM 118
* 3 Fairy Garden FCO 100
* 2 Guzma BUS 115
* 1 Lillie UPR 125
* 3 Max Elixir BKP 102
* 2 N FCO 105
* 2 Nest Ball SUM 123
* 3 Professor Sycamore BKP 107
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135

##Energy - 14

* 11 Fairy Energy 9
* 3 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Card Choices<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1 Lillie (ULP)/2 Nest Ball (SUM): Being a big fan of KicaBulu, I've taken the setup concept and thrown it into Xerneas Break for a few reasons. One, you have a higher chance of drawing into Max Elixir(s), Fairy Garden, and Fairy Energy in case you start with something other than Xerneas while being able to search out Xerneas itself (unlike typical Brigette plays). Two, you almost always have access to a couple of Xerneas in play, which is practically all you need turn one (not to mention a draw supporter for next turn, which Brigette plays have a lower chance of providing).

4 Diantha (FBL): With Xerneas being a one prize attacker, this deck can fully take advantage of Diantha and get a lot of use out of it (sometimes up to three a game). While four copies isn't necessary, having access to one most turns of the game can give you outs to many situations, whether it is that missing Double Colorless Energy/Choice Band combo need for game or just a way to recycle Max Elixir and Exp. Share. It also means you can discard one or two Diantha with Ultra Ball/Prof. Sycamore and not be worried about losing the use of it later on in the game.

1 Counter Catcher (CRI): Using Diantha comes with the added drawback of losing your supporter for the turn, so Counter Catcher gives you to have a similar effect to Guzma while allowing the usage of any supporter in the same turn. While the card may be somewhat situational, playing just one allows you to pull off combos that were previously very difficult or even impossible for this deck to perform all while having access to it throughout the game with Diantha.

Potential Techs<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1 Counter Energy (CRI): Playing one copy of a tech can be utilized in decks that have access to any card in the discard pile throughout the game, like this version of Xerneas Break. The hard part is choosing which ones are worth putting in, and while I'm still unsure about Counter Energy, it could potentially find a spot in this deck. Being able to throw down a Counter Energy on a Xerneas Break that doesn't have any energy means you don't have to worry about pulling off a Max Elixir play before you evolve. Not to mention being able to repeatedly use it with Diantha whenever necessary.

1 Pal Pad (ULP): All of this talk about using supporters like Diantha, Guzma, or any random draw supporter can run your supply down rather quickly, not to mention having to Ultra Ball or Prof. Sycamore a few of them away now and then. A single Pal Pad, when used properly, can recycle the need supporters based upon the situation and how you plan to handle it later on. This means you have a higher chance of drawing into them late game.

1 Xerneas GX (FBL): While I'm not particular sure about using this card in a deck that focusses on one-prize attackers, Xerneas GX is a great basic for you to accelerate energy onto due to its decent HP and attacks. If needed, you can also take advantage of Overrun to soften up your opponent's attackers or clear your field of damage through Sanctuary GX.

======================================================
Matchups<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
======================================================

Decks that take a few turns to fully set up like Zoroark GX variants, Malamar variants, or VikaBulu (especially ones that are two-prize attackers) are probably some of the easiest just because you trade prizes to your advantage and they give you time to setup as well. If you can place yourself in a position were your opponent can't target any particular Pokémon (by spreading out energy) or even deny your opponent prizes (by alternating attackers), you should be able to stay ahead of your opponent and remove any possible chance that they can win.

It turns out that Buzzwole GX variants are somewhat favorable due to a lower HP cap and the use of Mewtwo in Xerneas Break. If your opponent decides to be aggressive (and has the luck to do so) by accelerating energy onto a Buzzwole GX to take a K.O. on turn two, your able to return the K.O. with Mewtwo and a Choice Band. If they decide to play it safe and Jet Punch a couple of times in order to soften up your attackers, you gain a few turns of Geomancy which helps in the long run.

The worst possible matchups would be against Stage 2 decks that are able to take easy K.O.s on Xerneas Breaks such as Gardevoir GX, Greninja GX, or Decidueye GX variants (mainly combined with Zoroark GX). If your able to buy yourself enough time to accelerate a good amount of energy on the field, you can target down your opponent's weaker Pokémon such as Tapu Lele GX. Just make sure that your able to take two prizes per turn to stay ahead of your opponent in order to give yourself the best chance to win.

=======================================================
Conclusion<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
=======================================================

With great matchups all around, Xerneas Break is certainly well positioned going into the Forbidden Light legal format. Giving up only one prize and hitting for even bigger numbers than before are some of the deck's biggest assets. Taking advantage of this is your best way of winning, especially when combined with cards like Diantha and Exp. Share to retain (or sometimes regain) the lead.

With the next major Standard event only a week away in Madison, WI, many players are preparing to take on the altered format consisting of Zoroark GX, Buzzwole GX, and Malamar variants. How will Xerneas Break stand up against the new metagame and how will other decks handle this new competitor? Will Malamar variants fall or will it retain its title throughout the upcoming weekend? Check back next time for answers to these questions and more here in the Pokebeach forums! Also check out my Article Homepage for links to previous articles featuring tournament analyses, deck profiles, and set rankings!

Until next time!
~FrostBiter12

==========================================
Update<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
==========================================

Just found out a little while ago that Xerneas Break actually made Top 8 in Melbourne, Australia Regionals this past weekend! I'm happy that the deck performed well over the weekend and congrats to Matthew Taverna for piloting the deck into 8th place! Looking forward to seeing how the deck does in the future and I hope others are successful with the Xerneas Break as well!

Until next time!
~FrostBiter12

I feel that from personal testing of xerneas, the high diantha count isn't needed. I would rather play in the style of techy bulu with briddgets and use dianthas late game to chain knockouts. I also personally find that xerneas gx ; gxs atack makes more unfavorable matchups favored. This allows you to pressure in any deck that can't ohko it. Another thing I have found helpful is 2 oranguru. players will soon figure out your oranguru is one of the most importent cards to get rid of. With 2 you can always have one. A tech Im considering is counter energy + sudowudo (watch and learn). This will flip the zoroark match up, gardy match up, and others.

I feel that from personal testing of xerneas, the high diantha count isn't needed. I would rather play in the style of techy bulu with briddgets and use dianthas late game to chain knockouts. I also personally find that xerneas gx ; gxs atack makes more unfavorable matchups favored. This allows you to pressure in any deck that can't ohko it. Another thing I have found helpful is 2 oranguru. players will soon figure out your oranguru is one of the most importent cards to get rid of. With 2 you can always have one. A tech Im considering is counter energy + sudowudo (watch and learn). This will flip the zoroark match up, gardy match up, and others.

Hey @Luciagelt!

I do agree with you about the four Diantha count isn't needed, but in my testing, they have proven very useful. The main reason I play four is due to one of the things you mentioned and that is usually playing a few late game to grab the last bits of needed resources. With four Diantha, that means you can discard one or two early game and still have two left in deck for late game (so when your N'd to two or one and you need just a Diantha, you have a higher chance of drawing into them due to the higher count). Personally, I wouldn't go below three, but that is just my preference.

As for techs, I think you brought up a point that maybe you didn't even realize. By this, I mean that Diantha is more effective if you play a higher count of techs since you can reuse them at any particular point in the game. Great techs that can be utilized in this deck such as Counter Catcher, Counter Energy, and Enhanced Hammer, so the inconsistency that comes with playing more techs can be made up for with Diantha.

With Xerneas GX, I guess I wouldn't mind playing a one of (as mentioned in the Potential Techs portion of the article), but I'm wondering what unfavorable matchups you are referring to when you mentioned that Xerneas GX could help out with? Zoroark GX is really the only deck I can think of off-hand that can't OHKO Xerneas Break and that isn't a hard matchup to deal with anyways, so would it be worth playing Xerneas GX just for that? Maybe it is a really bad matchup and I haven't realized it yet, but I haven't had any trouble with Zoroark GX so far. Can you elaborate on this point?

Two copies of Oranguru sounds decent I suppose, though I don't know what I would take out for the second copy. I personally prefer one at the moment since if my opponent decides to target Oranguru, I can retaliate with a fresh Xerneas Break (the one they didn't K.O. due to their attack on Oranguru) and Super Rod the Oranguru back into the deck. If you play a single Rescue Stretcher, then that can work as well.

I've definitely considered Counter Energy (as mentioned above), but I haven't thought of Sudowoodo (BKP). I like the idea and it would probably help against Zoroark GX and Gardevoir GX more than Xerneas GX could (especially since you can Diantha for the combo when needed). It would need testing to fully understand whether or not the combo is worth it, but I like the general idea and will definitely try it out!

Anyways, I appreciate the feedback! If you have any more ideas, suggestions, or questions, feel free to let me know!

Thanks!
~FrostBiter12

Back