Discussion Deck Profile: Gardevoir GX

FrostBiter12

Upcoming Worlds Competitor!
Hey Pokebeach, I've got a few League Cups coming up that I'm excited to attend as I attempt to stay ahead of the game and get closer to my Worlds invite! In my preparation for these tournaments, I'm expecting to see a lot of Zoroark GX and Garbodor in the format, so let's go over a deck that I think is really well positioned to take on both of these power-hungry Pokémon: the great Gardevoir GX!

The Current Format-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The format, as we discussed before in previous articles, is ruled by a triangle of decks: Zoroark GX variants, Garbodor variants, and Buzzwole GX variants. Each deck is weak to one deck in the triangle and has an advantage over the other. To simplify this: It is somewhat easy to predict how tournaments may play out based upon this knowledge by using these weaknesses and advantages to our benefit. If Zoroark GX variants are dominating (in turn becoming more and more popular, like after Zoroark GX/Golisopod GX won in Collinsville's Regional), Buzzwole GX has the best chance of winning in the next tournament (which it did in Charlotte's Regional immediately afterwards). If Buzzwole GX variants are commanding the format, Garbodor variants have the best probability of winning (as it did in Portland, OR's Regional) after which the cycle repeats once more.

So, how do we as players take advantage of this knowledge? The idea is to use this information to identify not only what decks are winning, but what everyone else will plan to counter it. I describe these scenarios as "phases", so as an example, we are in the "Zoroark GX beats Garbodor" phase (since Garbodor won the most recent Regional). This means that we must prepare to see both of these decks as a good portion of what we play against. That doesn't mean that we count out the other decks, we must be wary of them as well, but we should make sure that the deck we use is able to handle the current phase. In this case, I think Gardevoir GX has the most capability of beating these two decks; breaking the mold of the format's stereotype triangle.

Now that we have a good idea of our modern metagame, let's go over the qualities of Gardevoir GX that can give us the best chance of victory!

"The Fairy Frenzy"------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With the title of 2016-2017 World Champion under its belt, Gardevoir GX has definitely left a mark on the format; dominating the metagame in an era I like to call the "Fairy Frenzy". Gardevoir GX was everywhere and has taken leaps and bounds throughout the months following Worlds. After London Internationals, Gardevoir GX saw a dip play due to decks like Zoroark GX/Golisopod GX having very low energy costs on their attacks, but a resurgence in Gardevoir GX came after Sydney Internationals with a new alteration of the deck; the creation of Zoroark GX/Gardevoir GX. Ever since, Gardevoir GX has been doing decently well at tournaments and taking a couple Top 8s here and there. The deck just has so much untamed potential hidden inside Gardevoir's icy glare; almost anything is within reach of a knockout through Infinite Force. Always being just a Secret Spring away is a great asset that comes with Gardevoir GX not to mention its daunting 230 HP.

One of the only things that holds this deck back is consistency issues. Being a deck that relies on a Stage 2 can backfire quite often, clogging up your hand with cards like Super Rod or Field Blower when you need to get the Rare Candy combo over and over again. Support Pokémon like Octillery or Zoroark GX are great for getting out Gardevoir GX, but Gallade is especially good at controlling your resources. The Premonition ability makes sure that you draw into the right cards at the right time, not to mention hitting for weakness on opposing Zoroark GXs.

Now that we have a good idea of Gardevoir GX's history, let's take a look at a list and attempt to fine tune it so we can reach peak performance!

Onto the List!--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 19

* 1 Ralts BUS 91
* 3 Gardevoir-GX BUS 93
* 2 Gallade BKT 84
* 1 Giratina PR-XY XY184
* 1 Mew-EX LTR 139
* 3 Ralts BKT 68
* 3 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 1 Kirlia BKT 69
* 2 Remoraid BKT 32
* 2 Octillery BKT 33

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 3 N FCO 105
* 2 Choice Band GRI 121
* 3 Cynthia UPR 119
* 3 Guzma BUS 115
* 4 Ultra Ball SUM 135
* 2 Brigette BKT 134
* 1 Evosoda XY 116
* 4 Rare Candy PLB 85
* 1 Parallel City BKT 145
* 2 Field Blower GRI 125
* 2 Max Potion BKP 103
* 2 Super Rod BKT 149

##Energy - 12

* 4 Double Colorless Energy SUM 136
* 8 Fairy Energy 9

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Card Choices--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

3-1 Ralts (BKT & BUS): Since Buzzwole GX is such a big competitor in this format, being able to apply some chip damage with Ralts (from BKT, which is the version I play three of) is a decent asset. The one downside is that Espeon GX can OHKO you with a Psybeam, so I have opted to play one Fairy type Ralts to give you an out against it.

3 Guzma (BUS): Usually, the Guzma count is at two, but three means that Gallade gives an even bigger advantage over Zoroark GX variants. Most decks use Zoroark GX as a bench sitter for draw support (sometimes an attacker as well), so you can Guzma up the Zoroark GX and take it out with Sensitive Blade. It also means that you can discard a Guzma and not worry about having only one left in deck.

8-4; Fairy Energy, DCE: Since I play two Max Potion, I may begin to run out of Fairy Energy and Double Colorless Energy around midgame, reducing the chances I draw into them late-game (especially when I'm N'd to one). This is also the reasoning behind the two Super Rod, but eight Fairy Energy should at least insure me energy in hand at almost any time. This reduces the amount of cards I need to search for when performing a combo needed to take a K.O. (if I need a Choice Band, Fairy Energy, and Guzma, having the Fairy Energy in hand means that I have one less thing to search for).

Potential Techs-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Clefairy (EVO): With high damage output attacks roaming the format (like Dusk Mane Necrozma GX), Cleafiry can take advantage of your opponent all because of Secret Spring. Being able to copy your opponent's attacks for three [C] energy can be a heavy cost, but attaching a DCE and a Fairy Energy with Secret Spring means that you can use Clefairy at any moment.

1 Alolan Vulpix (GRI): Due to the 0 Energy cost of Beacon, you can attach an energy to your active and retreat to the Alolan Vulpix and use Beacon. Searching your deck for any two Pokémon can really set you ahead of your opponent. If your Beacon can stick (by your opponent not having an N), you have one less card to search for in the Rare Candy combo.

Matchups-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

With Metagross GX being the major Pokémon on the arch-adversary list (which is thankfully not seeing much play), decks that have low energy requirements like Zoroark GX/Golisopod GX tend to give this deck trouble as well as Greninja Break (due to Ability Lock and Giant Water Shuriken, which is why I play the Giratina PR).

Even though it has a high damage output, Buzzwole GX can easily be handled with Mew EX and the large energy requirements on Buzzwole GX. The only thing you should be wary of is Absorption GX early game, but you can always take the return K.O. with Gardevoir GX.

As for Garbodor, Twilight GX gives you the advantage over Trashalanche by shuffling items back into your deck. Espeon GX requires a lot of energy to attack which you can easily take a K.O. on with Gardevoir GX. As long as you can apply pressure with Gardevoir GX throughout the game (with all of its attributes whether its the 230 HP, Secret Spring, or Infinite Force) and stay one step ahead of your opponent, you should be good to go!

Conclusion-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, with Toronto, Ontario's Regional about a month away, there is plenty of time for the format to shift along the triangle. In the meantime, we need to observe the results of League Cups to see just when the metagame will alter from "Zoroark GX beats Garbodor" to "Buzzwole GX beats Zoroark GX". Other decks such as VikaBulu, Mill Decks, and Greninja Break have been placing in tournaments, so keep an eye out for them as well.

With the capability to K.O. almost anything, the sky is the limit when it comes to Gardevoir GX. This "Infinite Force" can steamroll through the opposing ranks of Zoroark GX, Buzzwole GX, and Garbodor while taking out most other decks as well! As we keep a close eye on the format, how will Gardevoir GX standup to the rest of the metagame? Will Zoroark GX take back its throne, or will Garbodor retain its title? Check back next week for discussions on these topics and more here in the Pokebeach Forums! Also, check out my Article Homepage for articles on past decks and tournaments.

Until next time!
~FrostBiter12

Back