Help Deck Lists/Suggestions for Kids Trying to Play Post Format?

GymLdrJesse

Twitter/X @JessePrker
Advanced Member
A bunch of new kids showed up at my league and I feel bad because they have garbage decks.
I told them about the new format and wanted some deck lists or suggestions for them to start building a cheap, easily accessible deck.
I'm focused on worlds format or I would sit down and come up with some lists.
Hit me up with full lists if you can. I would probably avoid Zoroark in general due to it being a little harder to play.
Leles CAN be included because they will be much cheaper.

TY in advance.

I don't have lists, but I do have some suggestions. I think many budget decks will continue to be relatively viable after rotation, just by updating the supporters. Specifically:

Alolan Dugtrio, Empoleon, Garchomp / Lucario, Crabominable, and Alolan Executor with sunny day Lurantis instead of Zoroark. Passimian probably loses too much with the loss of mew.

Counter Energy spread decks with fairy Lele and Naganadel can be strong contenders too.

I have no idea if this list is optimal, but Zygarde Lycanroc seems pretty straightforward:

Pokemon - 11
4 Zygarde-GX
2-2 Lycanroc-GX
1 Tapu Lele-GX
1 Diancie Prism Star
1 Buzzwole

trainers - 35
3 Lillie
4 Cynthia
4 Guzma
4 Professor Kukui
2 Copy Cat

1 Switch
1 Escape Rope
1 Escape Board
3 Brooklet Hill
4 Ultra Ball
4 Acro Bike
3 Choice Band
1 Rescue Stretcher

Energies - 14
4 DCE
10 Fighting

I don't really have a list but a kid might enjoy playing a Zygarde-GX deck. Seems like it would be pretty fun to use Bonnie.:D

I have no idea if this list is optimal, but Zygarde Lycanroc seems pretty straightforward:

Pokemon - 11
4 Zygarde-GX
2-2 Lycanroc-GX
1 Tapu Lele-GX
1 Diancie Prism Star
1 Buzzwole

trainers - 35
3 Lillie
4 Cynthia
4 Guzma
4 Professor Kukui
2 Copy Cat

1 Switch
1 Escape Rope
1 Escape Board
3 Brooklet Hill
4 Ultra Ball
4 Acro Bike
3 Choice Band
1 Rescue Stretcher

Energies - 14
4 DCE
10 Fighting
I like this! Its straightforward and very hard to play incorrectly. It also teaches when to use a GX move and when not to.
I might even run something similar to this myself. Depends on how relevant grass is.

I don't have lists, but I do have some suggestions. I think many budget decks will continue to be relatively viable after rotation, just by updating the supporters. Specifically:

Alolan Dugtrio, Empoleon, Garchomp / Lucario, Crabominable, and Alolan Executor with sunny day Lurantis instead of Zoroark. Passimian probably loses too much with the loss of mew.

Counter Energy spread decks with fairy Lele and Naganadel can be strong contenders too.
Definitely. I think the main struggle is trying to find the correct way of getting pokemon onto the board. Im thinking apricorn maker+ nest/ultra balls is the way to go.

I would say garchomp is a decent deck, it does not rely to much on tapu lele, which I am going to assume they are going to have a hard time getting, and it allows them to learn what they can do with the same deck in different situations, and is fairly cheap.

I should also mention Sylveon GX, no lele required, and also forces the kids to improve and get better at the game through decision making, plus sylveons are about $4 a pop, making the cost not too much, I think. However I am not sure how well it survives rotation, but something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
I should also mention Sylveon GX, no lele required, and also forces the kids to improve and get better at the game through decision making, plus sylveons are about $4 a pop, making the cost not too much, I think. However I am not sure how well it survives rotation, but something to think about.
While I do think this a good cheap budget deck, it takes some serious skill to pilot when you get to choose what cards to take from magical ribbon and you have to think a few turns ahead to figure out how to disrupt your opponent the most. May be good budget wise but not the most ideal skill wise.

I find that many of the kids that are at my league have a very clear favorite type or pokemon. While they may not be most competitive, it is important that the kids are having fun so if you get to know them a bit, ask about their favorite pokemon or types and help to make a list. For example we have a kid who loves psychic types so he has a espeongx mewtwo gx, ultra necrozma deck that has no means of energy acceleration or anything but he loves it.

For that kid, maybe talk to him about adding malamar, I don't know how you convince him but if you can it would really help him.

This is my fav list at the moment- cant say i've had a ton of success, but it's not horrible & def on the cheap, and very simple repeatable deck strategy- get energy in discard, dont die.

****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 14

* 4 Exeggcute CIN 4
* 4 Alolan Exeggutor FLI 2
* 2 Tapu Lele-GX GRI 137
* 2 Remoraid BKT 31
* 2 Octillery BKT 33

##Trainer Cards - 35

* 4 Professor Sycamore STS 114
* 1 Professor Kukui SUM 128
* 2 Rescue Stretcher GRI 130
* 3 Acerola BUS 112
* 2 Pal Pad UPR 132
* 2 Evosoda GEN 62
* 4 Professor's Letter XY 123
* 1 Super Rod BKT 149
* 2 Bodybuilding Dumbbells BUS 113
* 2 Sophocles BUS 123
* 4 Ultra Ball SLG 68
* 2 Cynthia UPR 148
* 2 Guzma BUS 143
* 1 Brigette BKT 161
* 1 N NVI 101
* 2 Order Pad UPR 131

##Energy - 11

* 1 Lightning Energy 4
* 1 Fighting Energy 6
* 1 Psychic Energy 5
* 1 Water Energy CIN 124
* 5 Grass Energy EVO 91
* 1 Metal Energy 8
* 1 Fairy Energy 9

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

I would say garchomp is a decent deck, it does not rely to much on tapu lele, which I am going to assume they are going to have a hard time getting, and it allows them to learn what they can do with the same deck in different situations, and is fairly cheap.

Might be good option. It would teach abilities, small decision making with lucario, and using rare candy.

While I do think this a good cheap budget deck, it takes some serious skill to pilot when you get to choose what cards to take from magical ribbon and you have to think a few turns ahead to figure out how to disrupt your opponent the most. May be good budget wise but not the most ideal skill wise.

I find that many of the kids that are at my league have a very clear favorite type or pokemon. While they may not be most competitive, it is important that the kids are having fun so if you get to know them a bit, ask about their favorite pokemon or types and help to make a list. For example we have a kid who loves psychic types so he has a espeongx mewtwo gx, ultra necrozma deck that has no means of energy acceleration or anything but he loves it.
Not a bad idea. Im sure i can find a competitve deck for every type.
But kids wont have fun if they keep losing. Most of the others in my league are adults so i want to set them up for success. In the end, winning is always more fun than losing.

Last edited by a moderator:
A bunch of new kids showed up at my league and I feel bad because they have garbage decks.
I told them about the new format and wanted some deck lists or suggestions for them to start building a cheap, easily accessible deck.
I'm focused on worlds format or I would sit down and come up with some lists.
Hit me up with full lists if you can. I would probably avoid Zoroark in general due to it being a little harder to play.
Leles CAN be included because they will be much cheaper.

TY in advance.

don't you ever play casual decks?
young kids should start playing with casual decks and against casual decks. it's an opportunity for other players to play their own casual fun decks too. even if you fit them with a decent buzzwole build, they may have issues piloting it, especially if others are all seasoned players.

don't you ever play casual decks?
young kids should start playing with casual decks and against casual decks. it's an opportunity for other players to play their own casual fun decks too. even if you fit them with a decent buzzwole build, they may have issues piloting it, especially if others are all seasoned players.
Im not against casual decks if they want to learn how to play, but they already have the basics down. They will never win a single game playing the decks they play now, and thats not fun for anyone. Im not saying you need to win all the time to have fun, but it doesnt seem fair to have these kids steamrolled every game by meta decks.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have enough info now that the kids can use.

Back