Help Deck Ideas

LoSTXDRAGON

Aspiring Trainer
My wife wants me to compete at Virginia regionals in February. I need some new deck ideas because I am fresh out.
Thanks in advance.

GamePhoenix

Fellow Mortal
I can't give you solid advice about the February meta until closer to the event, but looking at the current meta Malamar/Escape Board would be a good choice.

payton

Aspiring Trainer
i have a fun idea for budget deck its alolan box revolved around alolan marowak were it does 20x the amount of pokemon with alolan on your side of the field so you add alolan dugtrio that hits basic 60 for the early guzma plays and you play a line of the water alolan ninetales gx for snipe damage and water energy for bigger knockouts energy count is 6 water 4 dce 3-3 alolan marowak 2-2 alolan dugtrio 2-2 alolan ninetales gx 2-2 alolan muk for ability lock and the trainers normal with a bit more support cards

Dante 21

Aspiring Trainer
If Tag Bolt is not release by then, how about Golisopod Zeraora deck. It is super fun, strong, but most importantly, very original, since nobody play it in any tournament. Good luck and have fun :)

payton

Aspiring Trainer
I’ve tested shintaro itos greninja gx list and It works amazing it beats malamar necrozma and zorodecitales but loses to stall

Dante 21

Aspiring Trainer
I’ve tested shintaro itos greninja gx list and It works amazing it beats malamar necrozma and zorodecitales but loses to stall
Well to be fair, 22th Atsutoshi Kubo used this deck too, but very original nontheless. Btw payton, how do you know it lose to stall deck, I did not see that in the result?

Merovingian

Dead Game Enthusiast
My wife wants me to compete at Virginia regionals in February. I need some new deck ideas because I am fresh out.
Thanks in advance.

Just want to point out: Virginia regional already happened in November. The one in Illinois is in February. I hope you meant Illinois. Otherwise, this is going to get awkward.

In any case, remember that when a new expansion is released, they become legal on the THIRD FRIDAY of the month they are released. In which case, it's almost safe to assume (because we don't have a WAG on when the set will be released, but a good estimate) Team Up will be legal for this Regional. So not knowing the full English list ontop of the Tag Team GX Pokemon is a bit of a gamechanger--as if Lost Thunder wasn't enough of a headache to deal with.

The problem with the February Regional is that between it and the last Standard Regional, there is a THREE MONTH GAP. That's HUGE.

From experience with the Dallas Regional last year (yes, it was Expanded), it had a 2 month gap between it and the last Expanded regional. And in that time, because the gap was substancially bigger than back-to-back Regionals with the same format is that the meta can change in drastic and unpredictable ways (The meta for Dallas was an absolute MESS last year). Unless you are constantly playing or know how to pin the metagame effectively, it's going to be borderline USELESS trying to figure out a play for February in the beginning of December. Serious metagaming one month before the Regional seems to work best.

I'm not sure how often you play live games/PTCGO. But I will say to NOT try metagaming for it until we know what we are working with in Team Up. Normally, I'm all about using future cards and predicting the meta ahead of time, but this is a set where it seems like it's best to wait for the whole set because the Tag Team GX cards could shake things up substancially as well as still trying to sift through Lost Thunder.

Also, do you go to tournaments often? Have you gone to a bunch of regionals (or are you like me and this is a one-and-done sort of deal). If the experience ISN'T there, bring something you are very familiar and comfortable using.

Finally, the Standard results from Roanoke will be relevant to a degree for the Illinois Regional. I'd still expect control builds to be popular--either use one or plan for them.

I don't play Standard, but if I did, I'd be using a build that can utilize 3-4 'Let Loose' Marshadow. That card is insanely good if you're not a ding-dong with it.

If control isn't your bag, I'd consider Lost March (last months League Promos were Jumpluff and Decembers is Lost Blender, we are practically giving the deck away). That said, even the pilot of the Top 8 Lost March build said that he got lucky with his matchups and that he expected to either do very poorly or very good with it. Not sure if it'll still be a 'run hot!' sort of deck by that point.

I hope this helps in some capacity.

Last edited: