Deck Discussion

RE: New Best Deck in the Format?

amphros being stage 2 is its only downside. But lets say you can get one out before they get reshram out without pachi/shaymin in hand. They get 30 damage from the energy attachments. Amphy needs 1 electric and one DCE. It'll do 80 or 40 and remove an energy. So lets say you got mareep out vs zekrom, T1 mareep, static electricity, zekrom t1 attaches an energy dce is best choice in the matchup hit for 20. T2 rare candy, amphros prime, attach energy, hit for 40 or 80. Preferably 40 and discard the dce. Zekrom t2, attach energy, get damaged. Pass. Amphros t3, attack. If heads, zekrom ko'd. If tails, discard energy and 40 damage. Zekrom now has 90 damage on it. Even if their turn 2 they dce'd and did outrage, they would have gotten KO'd before Amphros got KO'd. This is all situational, but amphy prime isn't as easily KO'd as you may think. Besides, amberlamps will have zekroms too.

with multiple mareeps, multiple rare candies, and multiple amphros primes, it's easy enough to pull off. About as easy as the zekrom player running collectors to get the donk. Not to mention having only a pahirisu or shaymin start hurts more than having only a mareep start.

if played right, ampharos isn't that easy to play around. Especially since it isn't meant to attack, but can.

Ampharos Prime? Good? I'm glad I stocked up on them when they were cheap.

I can definitely see Ampharos Prime decks being sort of anti-meta, utterly destroying Gatr and Boar variants.

I think the Red Collection Victini is going to make the BDIF. (The one from the starter deck), It can hit so hard and so quickly that it's way to invincible.

it will probably be in our 3rd set of next years season.. Since tpci still splits up our sets. Which I am totally against. And it's not like they'll give us good theme decks like japan either.. -_-

^RE: Theme decks. This is one thing that really surprises me. It seems the Japanese get some really kind of cool theme decks, but most of the ones we see in English are just... not worth it. They're a good source of energy and alternate version holos, but how many are TCPi really selling? If they kept them more interesting and useful, I bet they'd sell better.

As far as a new BDIF goes... I'm not holding my breath to find out yet. Everyone was all excited/worried about how good LostGar would be, and it really fell short of expectations. I don't think we'll really have any indication until we've played at least one good tournament with the new format. Doesn't mean it's not fun to speculate, though, of course. I have a few decks I'm working on putting together for the new format, so we'll see how it all goes.

a $15 theme deck that is good and comes with 2 boosters will sell as good as the tins. like, if they made the 3 b/w decks have both 1 of the starters with an ability, and one without, while having more competitive evo/energy lines to make room for a good t/s/s line. I'd buy them.

or at LEAST have them be the ones that they suggest in the rule books. like "swap this and this for this prime and this other card" they should just make them with the good cards instead of just suggesting how to make it better.

I think I've pointed it out before.. but look @ Japan's Arceus decks.. they came with an Arceus AND an Arceus lv X. we got 1 Arceus in our decks. -_-

If the B&W Theme Decks even just came with the Ability starters, I probably would have bought all 3. As it stands, I haven't bought any and don't think I will. The last theme deck I bought was the Umbreon Undaunted one, and that was just mostly for the Metal/Dark energies, and the extra Umbreons for my deck. It's a shame they're not using it as a more creative tool; more competitive deck styles would make more people buy them and would help keep resell values of any "good" cards included down to keep the game accessible.

here in the USA, there are too many collectors. out in Japan, they treat it as a game. cuz that's what it is. they appease the collectors by making hard to get cards that aren't good for play, and make 1st editions. making the rest of the cards available to players.

^hmmm...possible. although i think that ursaring is gonna lose some things after rotation.

Ursaring is going to be able to hit hard.. but will also get KO'd fast. Sawk + pluspower, and Ursaring is a goner. Sawk is an amazing card.. but I'm not going to run it. it'll probably be in blastigatr decks tho. not to mention the rainbow energy (usually the best way to damage ursaring) will make it a OHKO snipe for blastoise.

but it does have potential.

Ursaring/Typhlosion Prime maybe? It looks good on paper, just don't know if it can survive.

both are weak to fighting types. I'm running an Ampharos prime/Lanturn prime deck since Lanturn can OHKO alot of things, especially a Donphan prime.

?
Typhlosion Prime is weak to water...

Anyways, I kinda like that idea. Tech in a 2-2 line of Floatzel UL, with a couple Shaymin UL and Pachi CL and your good to go.

While I agree that Ampharos Prime has a great matchup against Zekrom variants, possibly even favourable depending on the deck, the matchup is even at best against Emboar/Reshiram. Unlike Zekrom, Reshiram can get setup in 1 turn, as it has unlimited energy attachment. So a turn 2 Blue Flare for 120 is possible. So if it T1 Outrage, and T2 Blue Flare, that's the KO on Amphy, with only 3 damage counters on Reshiram from Amphy's body, plus a potential 80-90 more depending on the flip. Also pluspowers could be used if T1 Outrage was not possible.

With the huge amount of draw support Fire has next format, getting T2 Emboar is quite easy (Ninetales and Shuckle). Still I can see the Ampharos matchup getting annoying for the Emboar/Reshiram player, and the damage stacking up in the long run, so it should be a fun game to play.

i think the hardest part for this format is going to be finding a draw engine that is consestent

Ampharos is not Meant to attack. I would use him as a bench setter. Also if I'm running Ampy I will have Zekrom in my deck anyways so I would be two worried about blue flare. Also you have to remember that his body stacks so that 3 could turn into 9 easily even though the later will rarely happen. And you still have to remember. That if you don't have emboar out it will take three turns to attack.

Back