Pokemon Debate: Do You Consider a Remake to Be the Generation it Was Made In?

Zielo

Caught 'em all.
I know that was worded badly, but its a hard question to describe without having an example.

For example: Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. What generation do you consider these games to be? Do you consider them to be generation 3 games, because they originally were? Or, do you consider them to be generation 6 games, because thats what they've been made into and are compatible with?

It's been a debate between me and my boyfriend and some other friends for a while. In a way, really they are both right. I just wanted to see what anyone else with an unbiased opinion might think.

You could say that they are gen 3 games because they have predominately gen 3 Pokemon and were made in generation 3. Then again, you could also say that Ruby and Sapphire are generation 3, but Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire are generation 6 and now include updated Pokemon and compatibility.

The same would apply to Firered/Leafgreen being gen 1 or gen 3, and Heart Gold/Soul Silver being gen 2 or gen 4.
I know the debate is kinda silly but its been bugging me.

I would still call it a Gen 3 game in my opinion. I don't associate FRLG with RSE, and very rarely to I consider HGSS to be gen 4 material.

Generations refer to the time period in which the games were made. And a new generation starts whenever a new set of Pokemon games (at least the ones with new Pokemon, a new region, etc.) come out. Therefore, remakes are included in the generation they themselves fall in, not the generation the original games came out in.

You could kind of treat it as both, but I would associate it more with the generation that the remake was made in, not the generation that the original was made in.

TwistedTurtwig said:
Generations refer to the time period in which the games were made. And a new generation starts whenever a new set of Pokemon games (at least the ones with new Pokemon, a new region, etc.) come out. Therefore, remakes are included in the generation they themselves fall in, not the generation the original games came out in.

Bolt the Cat said:
You could kind of treat it as both, but I would associate it more with the generation that the remake was made in, not the generation that the original was made in.

I agree with these. If it was generation III, I would see only generation III mechanics, Pokemon and typing. Anyway, generally the games are expanded a bit more.

I consider Omega Ruby & Alpha Sapphire a Gen VI set of games because that's the Generation theses games are going to be released in. Like I consider FR/LG to be apart of Gen III and HG/SS to be apart of Gen IV.

Another thing I'd like to point out... when you go onto a Wifi board and you want to trade or battle with someone in a current gen, you say "LF gen 6 battle".

If you said "LF gen 3 battle," that would be implying that you want them to take their Gameboy Advance with a link cable, buy a plane ticket to wherever you're at, and battle you in person two feet away.

Gen 6.

Each generation has a certain amount of Pokemon, mechanics, graphical and music styles, and features related to it. Gen 6 is all about mega evolutions, horde encounters, Fairy types, the ability to run from the second you start the game as opposed to having to get the running shoes first, and having 721 known Pokemon, which all apply to ORAS. ORAS also retain Pokemon Amie and Super Training. The type of graphics used for characters, the overworld, and battles are the same as in XY.

I think the remakes are inspired by the original games, not necessarily a literal remake of the originals. The story changes slightly, plenty of new things are introduced, style updates, character updates, so on.

I very much consider the OR/AS games a 6th generation game. Even though it's got a 3rd generation heritage, It has a 6th generation look + attitude.

I might classify FRLG and HGSS as more or less remakes since aside from the updated mechanics, updated graphics and some minor side quests it's basically the same thing as the original R/B and G/S/C.

I don't think I can clasify ORAS that way though. Sure the basic parts of the game may be the same (can be said for every single game from R/B to ORAS) as R/S and possibley E. On top of updated graphics. Forget the fact the Gardevoir line most likely has to be fairy from the very beginning and that shouldn't be the case in a true third gen remake, let alone any other newly minted fairy pokemon they have in that generation. Let's focus instead on brand new mega evolutions and the primal Pokemon that (as of right now) are exclusive only to ORAS. Mega evolution itself is a 6th generation mechanic after all, it hadn't existed before now. This includes Diancie's mega, which is a sixth gen legendary.

Consider that Platinum brought us alternate forms for Giratina, Shaymin, and Rotom. That's the third part of the fourth gen. When they released HGSS they didn't turn around and make alternate forms for the legendary beasts like they basically did for Kygore/Groudon in ORAS. FRLG and HGSS didn't too much more than update graphics and a few moves for the starters final forms unlike ORAS were they made mega forms for Sceptile (not to mention a new type) and Swampert. I exclude Blaziken because that mega was around in XY. How about this flight mechanic to get all the legendary Pokemon currently obtainable and explore islands that were unaccessible in R/S and since that wasn't even introduced in XY, that's not a slight game mechanic update.

I would consider it a Generation 6 remake, since it has the same graphics quality, features and Pokemon as Pokemon X and Y, made in the same generation.

However, you can still think of it as a Hoenn game, and a Generation 6 game at the same time. (That was a bit confusing to explain, but I think you would get it.)

It's a gen 6 remake of a gen 3 game.

No idea why anyone would want to narrow it down from such a basic description.

Depends on what specifically the question is about.
Technically they're clearly gen 6. Content is ~90% gen 3 with new stuff added.

ORAS are gen 6 games, RS are gen 3 games. There is not even anything to debate there.

Generations are determined by the available Pokemon. You can't call a game that has Gen IV Pokemon and on a Gen III game. Remakes belong to the generation they are introduced.

Well that pretty much settles it. I showed this to him and he still believes that they are gen 3 games. ._. But oh well. Opinions are opinions. At least im not the oddball here anymore.

Back