Discussion Dealing with Energy Dump Decks

I fail to see how Magearna is good against Yveltal-EX, but if that's what works, then sure.
It does make me question the point of this thread, though. You seemed to have had your answer from the beginning, at least from what I can see. Though, maybe this helped you figure out that Magearna was the way to go, in which case, good. :)

Either way, I'm out of ideas at this point.

-Asmer

Magearna-EX doesn't do well against Yveltal-EX or does anything unique against it. I just have to hope I don't start with it but the matchup isn't all that bad since Mirror Move is a good attack to use assuming things go well. My goal of this thread was to see if there were any options out there that aren't so luck based at controlling energy in play without playing a completely different deck but it does seem right now that flipping coins is my only real option at controlling them, which sucks but I do thank you for the discourse because it helped me in deciding what I should do with the deck.

Magearna-EX doesn't do well against Yveltal-EX or does anything unique against it. I just have to hope I don't start with it but the matchup isn't all that bad since Mirror Move is a good attack to use assuming things go well. My goal of this thread was to see if there were any options out there that aren't so luck based at controlling energy in play without playing a completely different deck but it does seem right now that flipping coins is my only real option at controlling them, which sucks but I do thank you for the discourse because it helped me in deciding what I should do with the deck.
I'm really glad, then! And yeah, it sucks that we don't have more options. I'm honestly not a fan of Scaling decks in this game for this exact reason. They gain way too much momentum too easily. Hopefully, things will change soon enough, though.

Glad I was able to help and that you were able to figure out at least a semi-solution! :D

-Asmer

Team Skull Grunt may be of use now; it isn't perfect, but if you can slip it into your deck it is another option to mess with an opponent's Energy.

I had this combo used on me yesterday and I think it might warrant some testing for you. It isn't "energy disruption" so to speak.

I am guessing this is fairly common, but it was the first time the combo had been used on me, so I thought I would share.

Basically, Red Card, get a stadium out, then Delinquent. If you do this on T1 and you went first, you have a real chance at putting them into a situation where they are top decking. If you have enough search to supplement your non-supporter draw T1, you give yourself an opportunity to force your competitor to set up and then scale with a major card constraint.

I don't know how realistic that is every game, but it is something to have in your back pocket to use with potentially devastating effects.

I had this combo used on me yesterday and I think it might warrant some testing for you. It isn't "energy disruption" so to speak.

I am guessing this is fairly common, but it was the first time the combo had been used on me, so I thought I would share.

Basically, Red Card, get a stadium out, then Delinquent. If you do this on T1 and you went first, you have a real chance at putting them into a situation where they are top decking. If you have enough search to supplement your non-supporter draw T1, you give yourself an opportunity to force your competitor to set up and then scale with a major card constraint.

I don't know how realistic that is every game, but it is something to have in your back pocket to use with potentially devastating effects.

That requires a very specific set of cards to work in your opening hand with you going first with no real guaranteed it will pay off. I'm looking for ways to better prepare for such things. The big main idea of what happened to you is if I happen to go first and if I happen to have my one of Red Card and Delinquent with a Stadium card in it but if I were to used deck spaces for this combo, it becomes very inconsistent.

Team Skull Grunt may be of use now; it isn't perfect, but if you can slip it into your deck it is another option to mess with an opponent's Energy.

It can help but I really don't like the fact its a Supporter than can fail. Maybe if it discarded all Energy on a Pokemon, I'd use it.

That requires a very specific set of cards to work in your opening hand with you going first with no real guaranteed it will pay off. I'm looking for ways to better prepare for such things. The big main idea of what happened to you is if I happen to go first and if I happen to have my one of Red Card and Delinquent with a Stadium card in it but if I were to used deck spaces for this combo, it becomes very inconsistent.

Yup, yup. All of that for sure. It was just something that happened to me yesterday and I immediately thought of this thread. Figured I could throw it down there and you could play around with it (or not). Collective Brain style :)

Back