TCG Fakes Custom Set [Image-Based] - Alexander's Fakes

Alexander Degtyarev

Retro TCG Player
Here I'll post any cards in my set. I don't know if I'll be making a full set, but any works that fit this set will be posted below.

To be honest, I don't remember which resources I used, so if you think they're yours, please tell me so I can credit you here.

Any comments, criticism and advice are appreciated.

EDIT: Looks like I didn't save the databar below the graphic properly. I wrote out Oddish's stats there but it looks like it reverted back to Yveltal's I had as a placeholder. Please don't mind this.
EDIT2: Fixed error mentioned above and added credit to artist. Improved design based on (though not fully according to) Professorlight's comments. I wanted to keep the title box overlay so I beefed it up instead.
EDIT3: Thanks to all comments in this thread, I am now happy with the template file and have started to use it to produce cards. You'll find all cards in this post.

Last edited:
The blank itself is very good, and so is the picture (may I ask how you drew it? photoshop?); the only things I can point out are:

The HP number seems lacking in scale, I'd suggest to scale it up to the line of the upper point of the type symbol; however, that might mean you'll have to shorten the name enclosure to make room for occasional triple digits; considering how you are using the leftmost extreme to signal stage (I assume the stage number proper will go beneath the "basic/stage" space, non?), you might find some trouble in balancing the stage, the name, the HP and the type, all with proper scaling.

I... don't know how I feel about the stage section spilling onto the yellow border; I like the effect, but I'm not sure how realistic it is, really.
I would definitely suggest to remove the thin upper line separating the border from the card type background, though, it is just too subtle to add anything, and it would look better without it.

And for last, I think the pokedex text might be a little too small compared to the others? it seems at least two times smaller than the attacks' smaller text, and it gets too squished with that font; I'd suggest to give more room to the description, and even increase slightly the line separation.

That's all I can say, really; the rest is perfect.

Last edited:
Very cute blank, and I love the artwork, too! :) I do agree with Light about the sizing of the text, though; the Pokédex text seemed very small to me, and her comments about the top line spacing are also valid. Might be a good idea to test around with some long text in that top bar to see how it handles.

The blank itself is very good, and so is the picture (may I ask how you drew it? photoshop?); the only things I can point out are:

The HP number seems lacking in scale, I'd suggest to scale it up to the line of the upper point of the type symbol; however, that might mean you'll have to shorten the name enclosure to make room for occasional triple digits; considering how you are using the leftmost extreme to signal stage (I assume the stage number proper will go beneath the "basic/stage" space, non?), you might find some trouble in balancing the stage, the name, the HP and the type, all with proper scaling.

I... don't know how I feel about the stage section spilling onto the yellow border; I like the effect, but I'm not sure how realistic it is, really.
I would definitely suggest to remove the thin upper line separating the border from the card type background, though, it is just too subtle to add anything, and it would look better without it.

And for last, I think the pokedex text might be a little too small compared to the others? it seems at least two times smaller than the attacks' smaller text, and it gets too squished with that font; I'd suggest to give more room to the description, and even increase slightly the line separation.

That's all I can say, really; the rest is perfect.
Thanks.

I'll play around with it later today and take these into consideration.
For some points I have reasons, such as copying XY card design elements (spilling over the border and HP number size), but I'll play around a bit and see what works best.
The dexbox kinda made me feel the same way you do, but when I look at other cards it kinda seemed to be normal that way, so I needed a second opinion on that. There's one or two things I can try.

The Picture is not mine. When I finalize the cards I plan to use the Illus. [name] bit to refer to the pixiv name of the artist.

Updated based on suggestions (see OP).

I tried making the HP number larger but it starts looking weird to me. Text box on the bottom made taller to fit larger text. Indeed, this does look better to me. Removed one of the separator bars to make sufficient space.

Thanks guys. Will post stage 1/2/Lv. X soon.
EDIT: Stage 1 added to OP

Last edited:
I feel that the Pokemon Name (i.e. Gloom) is just a few pixels too low, and therefore doesn't feel as free as it probably should. I also think the shadow around the namebox is a little bit too dark, causing it to accent the part of the card a bit too much.

Beautiful Lv.X ^_^
I suggest you other include links in your 'bump' post, or mention the cards you add, so people like myself dont forget and miss any cards you put up n.n;

I love the artwork :D

But Level X's never have 2 attacks. They have an ability [usually a coming-into-play one] and one attack, because they can use all abilities and attacks of the stage under them.

Still, keep up the great work!

I do not necessarily adhere to conventions laid down by previous sets. Wait until you see what I do with Pokemon LEGEND, Mega evolutions and the Weather mechanics.

@bbninjas will do.

I updated the template to do Legend cards. These are inspired by the old twin-card Legends in that it is a card type solely for legendary Pokémon, but function more like a mix between a Pokémon Gold Star/Ace Spec and a modern Pokémon EX. The reason for this is two-fold. A Pokémon trainer is unlikely to catch an army of legendary Pokémon, and to do away with playing Stage 2 Pokémon as big basics. Not so much to fix the meta, or anything, but rather to not lose the evolution mechanic that is integral to Pokémon in and outside of the TCG.

017 - Virizion Legend

Added more Pokémon.

012 - Sewaddle
013 - Swadloon
014 - Leavanny

With more Pokémon made, feel free to discuss balance. I may or may not start posting text-based cards for balance discussion before finalizing them as image-based cards. The Grass type will be the standard by which other types are to be judged. Balance may not necessarily match that of current sets.

Last edited:
Question: Are you using the XY-on wording? If so, the name of the Pokemon should be 'this Pokemon'. Also, the
'two' in Leavanny's Bug Bite attack should be a '2'.

There are some wording errors I need to fix, but I did make the choice to use the Pokémon name instead of "this Pokémon" because it just sounds better to me.

I'll be doing more stuff this weekend, been busy at work.

Back