Custom or Unique Card Sleeves, counters and more

GradientRaptor

Aspiring Trainer
Hi, I recently got back into the trading card game and was looking for a site where I could create and have printed custom sleeves. Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful in finding one, so I've been thinking recently that I want to start my own site and small business doing such a thing.

I would be creating custom designs for or taking existing illustrations, up to the consumer, and printing them onto game sleeves. I also want to make custom tokens, perhaps out of metals as well.

I've been lurking here for some time reading up on the game and people discussing their decks and now I want to see how much interest there would be in custom game sleeves and such.

Thanks for your time and let me know what you think.

Pokemon Organized Play forbids the use of not Pokemon/Nintendo manufactured sleeves in tournaments so I don't know how big your market would be.

I'd definitely like some with Scrafty on them.
They have to be really high quality, and have good art, though.

I'd really like some with Accelgor on them... But same thing with Infinity, they'd have to be really high quality... You may have to talk with TPCI or PUSA though. I'm not sure these would be legal though.

If these were approved for tournament use, I would immediately buy all the sableye sleeves i could afford.

If they're legal to produce and sell, and if they're high quality, I'd buy Mew and/or Mewtwo sleeves from you.

There's already some Mew sleeves out there... Why not just buy them, then they'd be good quality, and legal :)

Also, if the coins are for reals, and metal, I'd love to get an Accelgor/Mew/Gothitelle one :)

Martini said:
There's already some Mew sleeves out there... Why not just buy them, then they'd be good quality, and legal :)

Also, if the coins are for reals, and metal, I'd love to get an Accelgor/Mew/Gothitelle one :)

Where could I find these? :O

So you think the inability to use these sleeves at premiere events would hurt my ability to make and sell the sleeves? As for quality do you mean the artwork and craft behind them, or the actual sleeves, as I had just planned to use blank (white) ultra pro sleeves as a canvas.

As for the artwork, I am an Interactive Design Junior, with an aptitude for vector art and design. I also have a friend and classmate (also in my year and major) who is a wonderful illustrator. I thought between the two of us we could make some damn nice sleeves for those who wanted their own little flair.

I whipped up a little demo earlier, of a simple vector illustration of Raichu on the same dimensions as the sleeves. http://i.imgur.com/J6Meg.png

That took me only a few minutes, and is not at all a full demonstration of my abilities or creativity. I would work closely with the buyer to make sure they receive what they want and be proud to display.

As for the metal tokens, I meant more along the lines of damage counters and status tokens, rather than individualized coins featuring pokemon on them.

Thank you all for your time, and please lets keep this topic alive,

Gradientraptor

I think it's a great idea. You should have a great deal of buyer interaction, though. They should be able to see a template of the general design concept and then be able to ask for specific changes, so it's completely customizable. I would buy some but really only if they were tournament legal.

Yea I actually meant the quality of the sleeves.

I don't know if it's possible to get high quality material for them but the Japanese sleeves are much nicer than Ultra Pro ones.

Status tokens would be pretty cool too. I'm curious what those would look like. :p

I love this idea! I don't play, so legal sleeves are not a big deal for me. I just think it would be awesome to put my Raichu collection in Raichu themed sleeves! :)

SoulWind said:
Yea I actually meant the quality of the sleeves.

I don't know if it's possible to get high quality material for them but the Japanese sleeves are much nicer than Ultra Pro ones.

Status tokens would be pretty cool too. I'm curious what those would look like. :p

I'm not too familiar on card sleeve brands and quality, but if you could point me in the right direction in what you think would be high enough quality I'd be greatful.

I plan on starting to design some of the tokens soon as well, hopefully I can have some 3d renders by friday.

I would love to buy customised sleeves from you. The only flaw is that it could be difficult for them to be tournament legal. However, if the quality of the print and sleeves is up to standard, there shouldn't be too much problem.

If you could make tournament legal sleeves, I'd buy a set of Leafeon, a set of Zoroark/Darkrai and a set of Salamence. :)

You could not get them tournament legal. The only reason that Pokemon sleeves are legal is because the Pokemon company prints them. Not to mention copyright laws, if you try and sell them.

I think we understand by now that the sleeves wouldn't be tournament legal. I think that information got redundant the 5th time it was said.

Would you be offering custom card sleeves for other card games, such as Yu-Gi-Oh?

don()shinobi said:
I think we understand by now that the sleeves wouldn't be tournament legal. I think that information got redundant the 5th time it was said.

Would you be offering custom card sleeves for other card games, such as Yu-Gi-Oh?

I'm uncertain, certainly not right away at least. I don't actively play Yu-Gi-Oh, just on occasion with some friends. I don't know enough about or think I have an appropriate illustration style to match Yu-Gi-Oh. If I could find someone with the abilities to I certainly would.

Ah...well, as long as the sleeves come in packs of at least 40, then I'd be fine with double sleeving.

Back