Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
258wg1l.jpg

Damned for all time
In every age he existed
To see he's damned for all time
In every future he'll live for all time
He's crying, he's crying

Hello PB. After a long hiatus from the competitive scene, I am finally back. My return may be brief, for which reason I've decided to make my next RMT as soon as possible so as to be ahead of any sudden desire to once again drop battling altogether.
Since my last RMT, Heaven and Hell, the competitive scene has changed, but not remarkably. And what definitely hasn't changed is my playstyle. I used this team in the first two battle of May's Monthly OU Cup, and it performed quite well. Once again, my team is an offensive one, with balanced elements, albeit a bit more prominent than other offensive teams I've made. Props if you recognize the theme, for this time I will not give any explanation as to what it is. Instead, I'll just go on saying that Mega Metagross was something I've wanted to use a while back but never managed to. So now that I am once again into this, it was the first thing that came to mind, and the rest of the team came to be from it. Cry for Tanelorn, those who are damned for all time. For it is only there that peace may be found, if only briefly.

m9m4b8.jpg

Corum (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Here's to Landorus-T, world's greatest lead. Stealth Rock is mandatory for all teams, offensive, defensive and balanced alike, and mine couldn't possibly derive from that. Landorus is much more than just that though. Its defensive set is the most common answer to many physical attackers and setup sweepers, Pokemon like Excadrill, Scizor or Mega Charizard X, to name a few. EdgeQuake provides excellent coverage and takes care of the majority of things Landorus is meant to face, like the aforementioned threats or the annoying Talonflame. U-Turn provides a means to scout opponents as well as keeping momentum, a very important factor for an offensive team.

9vi0ra.jpg

Cymoril (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

As much as Stealth Rock is appreciated when on the other side of the field, its likes aren't welcome in mine (wow, I feel like I've written a variation of that sentence a million times). Latias takes care of this issue with Defog, clearing all hazards as well as more unusual stuff like Sticky Web and Screens. Its good bulk, mainly on the special side, also make it a good switch-in to predicted Water, Fire and Electric attacks, while Draco Meteor, backed by LO, packs quite the strong punch, dealing massive amounts of damage to any Pokemon that doesn't resist it (bar pink blobs, but those aren't Pokemon and as such do not count). Psyshock complements the offensive prowess of the set by hitting Fairy switch-ins as well as hitting specially defensive walls on their weaker Defense stat in addition to not halving Latias' Special Attack. Finally, Healing Wish is Latias' last gift to the team, bringing a key Pokemon back to action and often turning the tables to my favor.

2ztdqmv.jpg

Hawkmoon (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Prankster is truly a fitting name for an ability used by this guy. Priority Thunder Wave cripples opposing sweepers and revenge killers, meaning that Thundurus acts as offensive support for the rest of the team to have an easier battle. Note: offensive is just as important a word as support. With Life Orb and 125 Special Attack, Thundurus also destroys bulky water types, eliminates Flying type threats (including variants of Talonflame) and with Focus Blast and HP Ice lending coverage it deals heavy blows to Ground type switch-ins or stuff like Excadrill and Ferrothorn (provided that Focus Blast hits, but I'm sure that's a painful story for everyone so I won't push it). Whether just a means to spread paralysis or constant offensive pressure, Thundurus shines in every situation.

e0ork1.jpg

Ermizhad (Gothitelle) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Blame TDL. No, I'm serious. Back in my earlier days of battling, when the RMT archive first appeared, from all the teams collected there the one I liked the most was definitely Arabian Nights. Ever since seeing that, I was itching to use Gothitelle myself, and I've tried in the past, but without much success. Here I think I've finally managed to make something of her. This was originally the Literally Satan set; however, I decided against it eventually (I could deal with support and walls through other means, the set often felt too defensively-inclined and actually required counter elimination, kinda ironic for a Shadow Tagger... plus, even I am not that much of a bastard) and opted for a more standard Specs set. Gothitelle can trap and dismantle walls like Skarmory and Ferrothorn and cripple others such as blobs through Trick, allowing my sweepers to battle more freely and become much more threatening. Gothitelle synergizes very well with Landorus, which can U-Turn into her, allowing her to trap pests like the aforementioned Ferrothorn or Slowbro. Gothitelle may lack Gardevoir's charms (don't roll your eyes, you aren't convincing) but she's much better at keeping those she wants close.

wakmk6.jpg

Erekose (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

This was originally the Specs set. However, when I changed Gothitelle to Specs, having two Specs attackers seemed quite inflexible; on top of that, I lacked a setup sweeper, making some matchups extremely painful. SubSetup isn't something I've used much or liked; however, this set seemed quite fitting for the case. It could setup against walls just like Gothitelle formerly did and could make it through dead-end situations against stall and bulky offense. Besides, this is still Keldeo we're talking about. Scald's burn chance and accuracy make for quite the useful Water attack, while Secret Sword is plain excellent coverage that also gets past specially defensive enemies that could prove troublesome. Keldeo also synergizes quite well with Mega Metagross and Gothitelle, being able to take care of stuff like Landorus or Mega Sableye while Metagross beats Lati@s and Gothitelle removes Slowbro, which is a nuisance to both.

eju8mt.jpg

Elric (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm

"Blood and souls for my Lord Arioch!"

The man, the myth, the legend. The reason behind this team's existence. Mega Metagross is pretty much a physical powerhouse which just happens to have the bulk of a heavily armored tank. Easy to switch in due to its many resistances or Landorus' U-Turn, Metagross then proceeds to punch huge holes to just about anything. Between Meteor Mash, Zen Headbutt and Hammer Arm, the only thing that can truly sponge anything easily is Slowbro. Even the fabled Mega Sableye or stuff like Ferrothorn and Skarmory have to think twice before switching into this monstrosity, for the damage they take can make their function as walls very problematic. Bullet Punch makes for an excellent revenge killing tool and combined with Metagross' amazing bulk it allows it to act as a failsafe against physical sweepers, as Metagross can often survive a hit and KO back with a combination of a coverage move and Bullet Punch. And naturally, with high Speed and power, Metagross acts as a late game sweeper and cleaner once the enemy team is sufficiently weakened.

Dark types are a nuisance, since half the team is weak towards them. Some trouble can also be met with special setup sweepers, but since these often lack a way to boost their Speed they can be handled. Finally, bulky Water types can cause problems, since the best way to take them out is Thundurus, which is often not available, making things tough for the rest of the team. Starmie in particular is a huge nuisance, as its fast offensive variant can't be safely countered by anything I have available and its bulkier set is extremely annoying to beat.

Corum (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Cymoril (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Hawkmoon (Thundurus) @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Focus Blast

Ermizhad (Gothitelle) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 168 HP / 252 SpA / 88 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Erekose (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Secret Sword

Elric (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Hammer Arm

Cry for Tanelorn
Still I fear their voices
Cry for Tanelorn
No more fear, no voices
Cry for Tanelorn
Into the void this journey ends
I cry for Tanelorn
The dawn comes crashing down
Into the void

See my bio for image credits.

Last edited:

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
I love the synergy of Mega Metagross+Gothitelle+Keldeo. Great team :]
Landorus-T + Latias are also great support mons . Not only that they fill the roles of hazards setter and Defogger but they are also your way to deal with one of the most dangerous combos for this team imo which is VoltTurn. A very common strategy which includes most of the time Mega Manectric which can Volt Switch to get out of Gothitelle's trap and U-Turn in general which is obviously dangerous versus both Latias and Gothitelle.
As a dedicated user of Scizor I must defend this Poke : Landorus-T cannot handle the most common Scizor set which is iirc the Bulky SD set. In addition the same set counters Mega Metagross afaik.

Chaos Jackal

Legend of the Past
Yeah, Landorus can't beat bulky SD Mega Scizor, but it takes care of almost any other variant, Mega or regular. Bulky SD is a very dangerous set (I really like it myself), but it lacks in power compared to other Scizor sets, and as such its setup is slower and so is its sweeping. At +1 (assuming Intimidate), Bulky SD Bullet Punch can't OHKO Gothitelle and takes between 80% and 85% at minimum from HP Fire, almost a certain OHKO if rocks are up. Gothitelle's EV spread does just that-the Speed EVs are exactly the number it needs to outspeed any Mega Scizor without Speed investment. Even at +2 Bullet Punch doesn't OHKO, meaning that Scizor loses to the majority of situations or survives with an inch of its life, enough for Metagross to KO without a care in the world (or Keldeo, which takes less than 40% from +2 BP assuming a worst case scenario). So yeah, while Metagross and Landorus can't beat the Bulky SD variant, there is not much that the set does against me anyway, and any other Scizor set doesn't have a prayer against Lando (except the Roost + 3 attacks set, but that's not very common and is very weak anyway, losing to Goth even more easily than Bulky SD)