Crusading vegans

PDC

The PDC Show comes to an abrupt end...
So I was on a page on Facebook where somebody was saying that vegans are morally correct as the slaughter on animals is cruelty, and it is terrible. Along with saying that it makes yo live longer, which is completly false. However, I would like your opinion on the immorality part, as is it really morally correct to slaughter millions of animals? Where does species draw the line?

Animals are food. Someone has to kill them to get the food. Companies killing them means that the ones eating them don't have to.

That's my (highly messed up, I admit) way of looking at things. I don't find absolute psychotic maniacs like PETA to have a place in this world with their thousands of slaughtered animals per year... And I don't like how animals are killed for food. But at least most people know what happens in a food processing plant.

True animal slaughter is PETA. Food companies are providing, well, food (even if it ends up horribly modified).

The way the food industry gets its meat is often wasteful, and I do believe it's morally wrong to kill animals and only use a few parts of them. Use the whole animal, dangit. The living conditions of livestock are also sometimes pretty awful. But I'm not against animal products by themselves. Just the way the business runs in certain places.

frezgle said:
The way the food industry gets its meat is often wasteful, and I do believe it's morally wrong to kill animals and only use a few parts of them. Use the whole animal, dangit. The living conditions of livestock are also sometimes pretty awful. But I'm not against animal products by themselves. Just the way the business runs in certain places.

I wholly agree with this. The industry certainly needs to learn how to use more of the animal instead of a small percentage. And yeah, the living condition can be absolutely horrible -- I didn't bring it up because I was on the mindset of the death of animals rather than the process as a whole.

SotS said:
And yeah, the living condition can be absolutely horrible -- I didn't bring it up because I was on the mindset of the death of animals rather than the process as a whole.

I heard stories about people losing their perception of animals just by driving by a processing plant! The wrong conditions are relatively horrible, crammed into cages not cleaned. They give several of the animal’s steroids for quicker shipping.

I guess I could understand PETA’s point of view, but they have a way of showing it that gets me annoyed.

It's like the circle of life. Though the humans are taking it a bit too far. I understand eating cows, chickens and pigs, but animals like dogs, cats and even tigers is just wrong.

Suitcune said:
SotS said:
And yeah, the living condition can be absolutely horrible -- I didn't bring it up because I was on the mindset of the death of animals rather than the process as a whole.

I heard stories about people losing their perception of animals just by driving by a processing plant! The wrong conditions are relatively horrible, crammed into cages not cleaned. They give several of the animal’s steroids for quicker shipping.

I guess I could understand PETA’s point of view, but they have a way of showing it that gets me annoyed.

Lemme just leave this here...

Not trying to be a jerk here, but I don't think anyone who understands PETA's view... Understand PETA's point of view.

I am a vegetarian, but I choose to be for health and environmental reasons.

The answer to this question is that there is no answer. Morals are subjective, especially on a topic that strays from human affairs. There are many prospectives that all have viable answers.

Science would say: "Who cares if it's moral or not? If we can eat animals, we will. That's natural selection, and has been occurring for billions of years"
(Now, science has proven that there are both health and environmental benefits to not eating animals, but from a moral prospective, there isn't support."

Your lefthand extremists will say that "Animals have the same emotions, feelings, and desire for life that we do", and that "We have no more right to violate their wellbeing than we do another human".

Then there are your red-blooded carnivores who will say that "Humans are the master species, and therefor we should be using the resources in our world to our advantage. These resources are here for our benefit, so we may as well use them".

I think most pro-meat individuals share the scientific and superiority view points.

The bottom line is that there are no concrete pieces of logic to support any prospective. People should learn to accept other people's opinions, since they may be just as valid as one's own.

Eating animals: Not bad.
The way "animal food production" is operated: Bad.

If they could somehow fix themselves up, the eating of animals would be fine. Either way it's morally fine for a consumer to eat it unknowing of the producer's problems, but the producers themselves can easily slip into the wrong. The question is where we draw the line.

SotS said:
Lemme just leave this here...

Not trying to be a jerk here, but I don't think anyone who understands PETA's view... Understand PETA's point of view.

That made me sick. I literally feel queasy now.

I hate how animals are killed, but animal population would run rampant if we didn't use them for food.
I think it is part of the food chain and as much as I dislike it, it should continue, but in a humane way.

Think of it as this: It's a natural order.
Without animals, there is no food for us. Without us, there will be no food for them will be less limiting factors.
I don't want to sound like an ass here, but as apex predators, we are supposed to be at the top of the food chain. This means doing things that are inhumane, unfortunately. However, that's not saying that what they do at the factories is humane.

I wonder if animals had intelligence and access to the internet, would they be asking questions if it was immoral to eat people.

Seriously speaking, it's just eating food. Animals eat other animals, some animals even eat humans. As the poster above me says, it's NATURAL. (Although factories are inhumane but that's for another topic)

The canine teeth are not made for chewing plants. Also, bacon. Just gonna say bacon. :p

@PETA_Stuff: I do not like PETA whatsoever. For people who walk into an animal shelter and take up all of the animals, only to go out back, euthanize them and dump them all in a dumpster should not be called an "Animal Rights" group. They should be, put quite simply, called animal abusers. What they do is obscene, and I am a hunter, myself. How they even get funding is beyond me.

But that is off topic. What I believe to be right with animals is what the Bible says God intended. He put these animals here so we may use them for food, work and whatnot, and that is just how it is for me. This does not mean that abusing animals is right, nor the fact that they do not have rights. I personally disagree with abuse and think that those who do abuse animals are sadistic and should be punished. It's all about morals.

Animals eat animals too. It's natural for us, so it would feel weird say it is wrong. How the bussiness is run is another thing...

Back