• When creating a thread in the Deck Garage, make sure that you post one deck per thread, you use the correct prefix, you have the set name/card number next to each card, you give a strategy for non-metagame decks, and give translations for all cards not available in English.

When posting in a thread, be sure to explain all your suggestions thoroughly. Additionally, do not ask for advice in another member's thread.

Standard Cruel Kitties (Tentacruel UNB/Espurr UNB)

rewster1

Aspiring Trainer
****** Pokémon Trading Card Game Deck List ******

##Pokémon - 20

* 3 Meowth UNB 147
* 3 Persian UNB 148
* 3 Espurr UNB 79
* 1 Mew UNB 76
* 4 Tentacool TEU 60
* 2 Suicune LOT 59
* 4 Tentacruel UNB 41

##Trainer Cards - 29

* 2 Lusamine CIN 96
* 4 Professor Elm’s Lecture LOT 188
* 2 Brock's Grit EVO 74
* 3 Shrine of Punishment CES 143
* 4 Cynthia UPR 119
* 2 Escape Board UPR 122
* 4 Sightseer LOT 189
* 4 Nita TEU 151
* 4 Pokémon Communication BLW 99

##Energy - 11

* 11 Fire Energy SMEnergy 11

Total Cards - 60

****** Deck List Generated by the Pokémon TCG Online www.pokemon.com/TCGO ******

Here is a stally deck but one that aims to take 6 prizes eventually. Tentacruel's attack for one colorless moves an energy from any of your opponent's pokemon to any other and puts 3 damage counters on the recipient. Espurr snipes damaged bench sitters. Persian lets espurr attack for free. Mew blocks bench damage, suicune can turn a damaged active into an espurr target.

The one thing holding back espurr from demolishing all GX decks is mew, because mew blocks bench damage. Sadly for mew, it can't stop tentacruel from dropping 3 damage counters on it. For a lot of decks, once mew is gone the bench is open season for espurr. If they recover mew, tentacruel can kill it again, so no biggie either way.

The bulk of the meta is big basic GXs piling on energy with welder, malamar, or koko prism. This is a problem for the deck because if they can get up 3 energy and hit 150 on turn 2, moving one energy is not stopping them. That's where nita comes in, to let you reset 1 energy. If they got the big turn 1, you cancel it out with nita and wicked tentacles, and usually they can't follow with a big turn 2. If they do, fair play, but if not, you keep digging for nita and moving energy so they can never get an attack off.

Depending on the matchup, you either want to keep the energy in play on the wrong pokemon (malamar), drop piles of energy into the discard with a suicune/espurr combo (dark box), or some combination. In certain situations wrap can take out key things like volcanion, for the reshizard player that catches on and doesn't bench a second zard.

I had the pleasure (?) of facing shedinja control and pidgeotto control in back to back games online this morning, and shedinja control was over in seconds (they don't have the mars lock, so no answer to me putting their energies on zebstrikas), while pidgeotto was a slog but they had to rush due to running low on time and that caused them to make sequencing mistakes and I ended up with a sightseer in hand to break the lock and win the game (this despite making misplays like not playing a brock I had in hand when six energies were in the discard).

Now that my longwinded description is over, I'd welcome any feedback on this deck... room for improvement? Awards and adulations? Should I be strung up for playing a trolly stall deck? Let me know.

Why fire energy?

If it doesn't matter the type of energy you use, is there a reason not to use, say Psychic or Water energy that can actually work with the mons that need them in a pinch?

Why fire energy?

If it doesn't matter the type of energy you use, is there a reason not to use, say Psychic or Water energy that can actually work with the mons that need them in a pinch?
Only because opponent's fire stadiums can be very helpful to either draw cards, or get your energy. Suicune's attack is too expensive, you've probably lost if you are investing in it. Same for espurr, there is no way outside of malamar that you are getting the energy on quickly enough to be relevant. I could theoretically throw in a welder or two, just to make wrap or claw slash easier to acheive.

Only because opponent's fire stadiums can be very helpful to either draw cards, or get your energy. Suicune's attack is too expensive, you've probably lost if you are investing in it. Same for espurr, there is no way outside of malamar that you are getting the energy on quickly enough to be relevant. I could theoretically throw in a welder or two, just to make wrap or claw slash easier to acheive.
Yeah, that did cross my mind about the stadiums. I'd still suggest a split personally, maybe 7 Fire 4 Psychic, but you're right in that ideally it shouldn't matter.

Back