Creatures Reveals TCG's New Focus on Five Weaknesses, Dragon Likely Removed

Missingno650

Missingno Master
Advanced Member
This actually makes a ton of sense! As for someone who regularly teaches new players this is nice too!

JakeTheGearHeart

Aspiring Trainer
You mixed up the Dark and Poison type weaknesses in the table.
Dark is weak to grass (bug), Poison is weak to fighting (ground).

Pone

Delta Species is best species
Weakness and resistance were way more exciting in DPPt and prior days when they weren't so rigid. They've steadily become less and less varied over the years and generations and it's just creating a more and more boring format. I've said it before: the bad in this generation has vastly outweighed the good, and this is my least favorite generation by a wide margin.

hervul

Aspiring Trainer
If all of this is true, I find it odd they released a statement confirming Fairy type was removed but not Dragon type.

Water Pokémon Master

I like Pokemon more than you! :p
Webmaster
Elite Member
Advanced Member
If all of this is true, I find it odd they released a statement confirming Fairy type was removed but not Dragon type.
The only reason I can think for this is that Fairy types used an actual Energy card available in various products and Dragons didn't. Kids might pull Fairy Energy and wonder what it's for. But Dragon don't use their own basic Energy card so it doesn't affect things as much. It is a little odd though.

N's Rhyperior

Aspiring Trainer
Having Fairy having the same weakness as most Psychic Pokémon in the TCG doesn't really make sense. We need diversions like Ice-type, and this is the diversion we need. Thank Goodness Zacian can now hit a relevant weakness. If they revert Dragon-types as C type, they should remove the weakness part or making it weak to themselves like Garchomp C Lv.X

Tytus

Expanded Best Format
You want to know what this means. It means that they have more of an excuse to print massive sets and big basics. It's going to be like 500 hp 4 prize basics at some point.

Clam

Almost decent
You want to know what this means. It means that they have more of an excuse to print massive sets and big basics. It's going to be like 500 hp 4 prize basics at some point.
and pokemon that can do waaaaay to much dmg with ease

Emerfirek

Aspiring Trainer
That table helped me realized why I never enjoy playing [W] decks. It contains two subtypes, but they both only hit one type for weakness. And now [P] will become even worse w/ all three subtypes only hitting approx a third of all [F] mons for weakness. And they implied [Y] was a fringe type. [W] and [P] are shaping up to be even fringier. If certain Ground or Rock mons who have no business being weak to [G] start being weak to [W] instead, I will change my mind about it. Idk what [P] could do to save itself though, now that it's not weak to itself anymore.

treyh37

Watcher of Thorns
they should have made more tweaks to this most, of the tcg types have 2 vg types which means that most of the tcg types have 2 possible weaknesses.

things they should have also changed:
bug weak to something other then fire (lightning maybe?)
move rock to metal type, change its weakness to water
move one of the psychic types to one of the single types (ghost to fire maybe?)

that would make it so all the tcg types (except lightning and whatever is happening with dragon) correspond with 2 vg types, and each tcg type has 2 possible weaknesses.

cardgjammer

Aspiring Trainer
If Darkness is weak to either Fighting or Grass by means of sub-types(types represented by a primary type in TCG), then I believe that if Dragons are to return, I believe Dragon should be weak to Water by means of the corresponding Ice sub-type that is Dragon's only weakness other than itself and Fairy-types in the video games. But even if they don't, change their new type's TCG weakness to TCG Water. At the same time, considering video game resistances, give Fire at least one type that resists them in the card game, even if that type has to be Dragons--or if they are removed from the cards, whatever is Dragons' SwSh TCG type..

^ Yes, I know it's Creatures' call, and not mine... However, I believe that the removal of Dragons virtually throws the game back to the RuSa TCG era, minus the no-supporter-nor-stadium-on-both-players'-first-turn rule that was made irrelevant when cards like Portrait-abilitied Smeargle(Undaunted) and Impersonate Sableye(Stormfront) emerged in a later Standard than that of RuSa's time... At least the second-going player can use supporters nowadays, but still, what a way to go backwards in a logical fashion. It's good to give card players a dose of old history, if only in parts, especially the -30 Resistance vs. the -20 Resistance, but at the same time, if you're reading this, Creatures, please consider the Water sub-type of Ice and make TCG's Dragons, whatever their type becomes in SwSh, weak to TCG's Water type and resistant to Fire, a type that Dragon is resistant to in VG, AND currently isn't resisted by any other type in the TCG as revealed so far…

^ I hope the rule makers have my two cents in their heart...

Last edited: