Create-A-Card February 2014 - The Fairytale

Blui

lv85 paladin
banner_zpsb9fffa11.png

A new month, a new competition! 2014 brings in new judges, a new host and even more challenges for all of you to overcome! This year isn’t just limited to the types we all know and love but themes that will make your head spin! Do you have what it takes to be the best card faker?

February 2014 gives us a new type in the official TCG, Fairy. These pink beasts are something new that hasn’t been explored all that much at this point but you have the opportunity to make them into something great! Whether it be an interesting attacker, a defensive bench sitter or a one-hit-wonder card it’s up to you! Provided it’s a Fairy-Type everything is a-ok!

This contest has two sections, Text Based and Image Based. In text based all you have to do is create a card in text form and post it in here! For the Image based half, you’ll need the help of some software to let your creations come to life. But one thing remains important between both of them, it has to be original.

There are a total of 30 places in this competition, 15 for both sections, and unlike last year, these slots don’t apply for both. Only one. So simply be fast and post down below that you wish to enter, but be fast, these competitions can fill up very quickly! Once you’ve entered you’ll need to create your entry and post it down below, before Wednesday the 26th of February at (UTC+10) 6:00PM. Be careful when posting your entry though, because if you have to edit, or did edit your post you’ll have an instant deduction of 2 points from your overall score, and posting your entry again on a different post also deducts 2 points.

Another note, for those entering Image Based you will have to include this logo on your card or else your entry won’t be accepted. It was designed by the lovely Nekoban Ryo who continuously creates resources for the faking world and faker himself. Here is an alternate version of the set symbol

Scoring

Text Based:

Creativity: 0-5 points x3
Is your card a normal card you can find in any booster series or is it very unique?
---
Wording: 0-5 points x2
Did you get the wording on your card right?
---
Balance: 0-5 points x2
Is your card overpowered or is it balanced?
---
Context: 0-1 points x2
Does the card fit into the current metagame? Does it combo with current cards? Or do some current cards make it absolutely broken?
Format: BW or XY.
---
Completeness: 0-1 points x2
Did you remember to add weakness, resistance, retreat, and all the important information?
---
Tie-breaker: 0-1 points
A tie-breaker point I can use to determine a winner. The card I like most might get it.
---
Max BASIC score: 40 points (41 with tie-breaker)

Image Based:
Creativity/Originality

This should be a given. With the proper tools, let your imagination run wild! This can involve new gameplay mechanics, blanks, etc.
Total: 20 points
---
Wording
Proper wording is also key in designing any fake card. Try to ensure wording is correct for the era of blank you choose; from Classic and Neo to EX, DP, and BW, wording has changed a lot, so be careful! Spelling is also taken into consideration.
Total: 15 points
---
Fonts and Placement
Correct fonts are imperative when creating realistic fakes. Placement isn't quite as important, so long as the fonts/symbols/etc. are in the correct general area.
Total: 10 points
---
Believability/Playability
Because this division of the contest is so image-heavy, the believability and playability takes a backseat here. However, it's still worth a portion of the total points, so try to keep it in the realm of believable! Proper type (unless Delta-species), Pokédex information, and ballpark HP will be taken into consideration.
Total: 5 points
Max Score: 50 (No tiebreakers for Image)

So that’s the point breakdown for this month’s Create-A-Card, as you may notice there is some differences but only to cater for the different styles of the entries. Teal will be judging the Text Based portion of the contest and Blui will be judging the Image Based part.

When making your fakes be sure to follow forum rules, if you are using someone else’s art be sure you have their permission to use it or it is otherwise considered art theft.

As per usual have fun and be as creative as you can be and show the world that PokeBeach can make fake cards!

Deadline: February 26th 6:00pm (UTC +10)

Anticipated Entrants

[td] Image-Based:
  1. PMJ
  2. Momaster12
  3. bigfootaus
  4. Nekoban Ryo
  5. Heavenly Spoon
  6. anabel1406
[/td][td] Text-Based:
  1. Scorched Feathers
  2. Eagle4
  3. MountainDrew
  4. Machamp the Champion
  5. Luispipe8
  6. Keeper of Night
  7. AlexanderTheAwesome
  8. Radioactive561
  9. NotSeen
  10. GM DracLord
[/td]

Bold names means I have seen your entry in this thread.

Hall of Fame

To see who did well in past months, look here!
Image-Based Winners:
  1. January:
  2. February: PMJ
  3. March:
  4. April:
  5. May:
  6. June:
  7. July:
  8. August:
  9. September:
  10. October:
  11. November:
  12. December:
Image-Based Runners-Up:
  1. January: Heavenly Spoon
  2. February:
  3. March:
  4. April:
  5. May:
  6. June:
  7. July:
  8. August:
  9. September:
  10. October:
  11. November:
  12. December:
Text-Based Winners:
  1. January:
  2. February:
  3. March:
  4. April:
  5. May:
  6. June:
  7. July:
  8. August:
  9. September:
  10. October:
  11. November:
  12. December:
Text-Based Runners-Up:
  1. January:
  2. February:
  3. March:
  4. April:
  5. May:
  6. June:
  7. July:
  8. August:
  9. September:
  10. October:
  11. November:
  12. December:
[/hr]

Last edited by a moderator:
in for image

Is there a "challenge" this round?

My apologies for not getting my entry in last month was was beyond busy.

However, I'm totally in for image this month and I will guarantee an awesome entry.

I may as well post it, since nobody can stop me, and it might count for something.

Stage 2 - Florges - HP140 - Fairy
Evolves from Floette​
florges.gif

NO.671 Garden Pokémon HT: 3'07" WT: 22.0 lbs.

[Ability] Symbiosis
If this Pokémon has a Pokémon Tool attached to it, whenever another of your Pokémon Tools in play is discarded from a Pokémon (unless that Pokémon is Knocked Out), you may move the Pokémon Tool card from this Pokémon and attach it to that Pokémon.

[Y][C] Wish
Heal 50 damage from this Pokémon.

[Y][Y][C] Moonblast 100

Weakness: Metal (×2) Resistance: Dark (-20) Retreat: ★★​
In times long past, governors of castles would invite Florges to
create flower gardens to embellish the castle domains.

Florges is a Pokémon that has not yet been featured in the TCG, so I thought it deserved some spotlight. It's Hidden Ability, Symbiosis, allows it to move its item to a Pokémon that has consumed theirs. This Ability, is therefore, a great fit with Pokémon Tools. This Florges allows it to move a Tool attached to it to another Pokémon when that Pokémon's Tool is discarded, thus, without Tool Scrapper in the format, Florges/Garbodor would probably be an amazing Deck, as even with Tool Scrapper, Symbiosis will always happen;
  • Opponent plays Tool Scrapper
  • Discards Garbodor's Tool
  • Garbodor's Garbotoxin is no longer active
  • Florges's Symbiosis activates
  • Florges's Tool moves to Garbodor
  • Garbotoxin is now active

Also, even though they won't net me anything, I have made cards for Floette and Flabébé, because they are only in the Xerneas Half Deck and aren't out here.

Stage 1 - Floette - HP70 - Fairy
Evolves from Flabébé​
floette.gif

NO.670 Single Bloom Pokémon HT: 0'08" WT: 2.0 lbs.

[Y][C] Magical Leaf 30

[Y][Y] Petal Dance 60
This Pokémon is now Confused.

Weakness: Metal (×2) Resistance: Dark (-20) Retreat: ★​
It flutters around fields of flowers and cares for flowers that are starting to wilt.
It draws out the power of flowers to battle.
Basic - Flabébé - HP40 - Fairy
flabebe.gif

NO.669 Single Bloom Pokémon HT: 0'04" WT: 0.2 lbs.

[Y] Fairy Wind 20

Weakness: Metal (×2) Resistance: Dark (-20) Retreat: ★​
When it finds a flower it likes, it dwells on that flower its whole life long.
It floats in the wind's embrace with an untroubled heart.

There we go.

PMJ said:
in for image

Is there a "challenge" this round?

Not this month, and there won't be any bonuses if you don't go the shiny route.

Keeper of Night said:
Well, seeing as how this round will probably not stay Fairy, I'll wait to see what I'll be joining.

It shouldn't change :p

In for text please.
And sorry for not making a submission last month, I got really caught up with The Challenge.

Magnezone HP 140
Stage 2
Evolves from Magneton

Ability: Magnet Pickup
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, you may shuffle your hand into your deck.
If you do, flip 3 coins. For each heads, draw 2 cards.

(L) (C) Power Crush 50
If the Defending Pokemon is a Basic Pokemon, this attack's base power is 120 instead of 50.

weakness resistance
x2 (FIGHT) (P) -20

retreat- (C) (C)

BlazikenBro said:
Magnezone HP 140
Stage 2
Evolves from Magneton

Ability: Magnet Pickup
Once during your turn (before your attack), if this Pokemon is your Active Pokemon, you may shuffle your hand into your deck.
If you do, flip 3 coins. For each heads, draw 2 cards.

(L) (C) Power Crush 50
If the Defending Pokemon is a Basic Pokemon, this attack's base power is 120 instead of 50.

weakness resistance
x2 (FIGHT) (P) -20

retreat- (C) (C)

You're only allowed to do Fairy type Pokemon, however, I will let you re enter with a Pokemon of the correct type.

I'm not sure I'll enjoy creating a card for the recent incredible boring format, but I'll give it a shot. In it to image it.

Back