Collecting Crazy Collectors Questions

Chrswrites

Aspiring Trainer
I consider myself a diehard Pokemon TCG collector - although I skip some stuff. Lol. And as a collector I have a lot of questions about collecting, collectors and collections. I hope many of you will share your answers, tips and advices.

My top 12 for the day...
  1. How do you supress the urge to open sealed stuff?
  2. When is a card good enough?
  3. How do you arrange cards?
  4. Are there any Pokémon cards you don't collect?
  5. How do you store coins and pins?
  6. What is your most valuable card?
  7. Do you play with cards from your collection or do you buy an extra play set?
  8. What do you hate about the Pokémon TCG?
  9. What do you love about it?
  10. Do you have ensurance on your collection?
  11. What is your best kept Pokemon TCG (collecting) secret)
  12. Do you have advice for other collectors?

I don't know if I count as crazy or not (probably not), but here are my answers anyway:

How do you supress the urge to open sealed stuff?

I don't. :p Opening packs is the most fun part of being a collector and all! I do have a few things sealed still, but only stuff that I have no interest in opening (precon decks/product for the most part).

When is a card good enough?

Quality-wise, I only collect M/NM cards. I'm not a total stickler for perfect condition, but I think only accepting M/NM cards is reasonable enough, and most other collectors are good about keeping their cards safe anyway, so it's not very difficult to trade.

How do you arrange cards?

My cards are organized by language first, set second. I keep 1 set of C/U cards, as all as all R cards, for each set in binders, with the rest of my C/U stored as bulk in storage boxes. RR/SR/UR cards are kept in sleeves and/or toploaders in ETB boxes (ETBs are the perfect size to store toploaders, so it's great).

Are there any Pokémon cards you don't collect?

Quite a few. My primary objective in Pokémon collecting is FAs, so I don't really mind selling/trading most of my lower rarity cards.

How do you store coins and pins?

In tins for the most part, though I don't have too many of either.

What is your most valuable card?

Huh, not sure actually. Probably one of my Japanese FAs, URs, or promos, though I don't pay all too much attention to aftermarket values.

Do you play with cards from your collection or do you buy an extra play set?

I'm not a player, so this doesn't concern me.

What do you hate about the Pokémon TCG?

I really dislike the way TPCi handles the international TCG compared to how it's done in Japan, which is why I prefer buying Japanese cards. The rarity inflation, poor quality control, crappy preconstructed materials, it's awful.

What do you love about it?

My favourite thing is definitely the artwork and aesthetics, especially fully textured FAs!

Do you have ensurance on your collection?

Not specifically on my cards, though they would count as being insured under my regular homeowners insurance.

What is your best kept Pokemon TCG (collecting) secret

I don't really think it counts as a secret, but I do wish that more collectors (who aren't players, anyway) would look into collecting Japanese cards. It's not nearly as expensive or difficult as some people make it out to be. The quality and pull rates are so much better, individual booster boxes are much cheaper, and since you're ordering online it's much easier to budget your purchases instead of impulse buying.

Do you have advice for other collectors?

Heh, well, looking back at the last question, I guess my advice would be to go Japanese. :p Otherwise, I'd definitely suggest that collectors should collect in ways that are fun to them, and to recognize that if something starts being a compulsion and not an enjoyment, that it may be turning into an addiction.

1. I think about other things, but 90% of the time, I end up opening it in the car.
2. If it's rare, a Pokémon that I like, ultra rare, or secret rare. That, or adorable/awesome art.
3. EXs, Legendaries, Radiant Collections, Eeveelutions, Fennekin cards, promos, then the cards that aren't any of the listed.
4. I'm not into collecting ugly looking cards, or commons without good art. I also don't collect Trainers that often.
5. image.jpg
6. Xerneas BREAK, FA Mega Gardevoir, Mega Steelix, FA Mega Glalie. Not the most expensive, but yeah.
7. I don't really play the TCG.
8. So many collection boxes, so little time. One of the worst things about being a teenager.
9. Ultra Rares. Definitely Ultra Rares. And figures. And promos.
10. I'm not an adult, and why would you put insurance on cards?...
11. Use card sleeves for those cards that you really like and don't want to get damaged (rather obvious). And never, ever buy the $13 pre-constructed theme decks. NEVER.
12. Remember that you might not always get that card you want in a pack. (Which is painful)

Last edited:
How do you supress the urge to open sealed stuff?
I don't, because I can't. :p I don't own any sealed TCG products at the moment.

When is a card good enough?
If it's pack-fresh. I don't buy singles because I can always find a flaw on them that bothers me. I end up spending much more than I need to, especially if there's just one card I need from a set, but I'm happier in the end.

How do you arrange cards?
Commons/Uncommons/Rares go into boxes, ordered by set and release (but not ordered by number within the sets; that'd take too long). Complete sets go into one of my binders (minus ultra rares). Another binder is used solely for holo rares and is organized by Type. Yet another binder is used solely for Pokemon I like / cards I like in general. My ultra rares all get the soft-sleeve-in-toploader treatment and are placed into their own box. My reverses are all sleeved (to help prevent warping) and have their own box as well.

Are there any Pokémon cards you don't collect?
Do other languages count? I stick to English and Japanese cards. Any card released in those languages is fair game for my collection.

How do you store coins and pins?
Coins go into a tin. I used to sleeve all my coins and staple the flap down, to prevent scuffing, but I've become lazy in that regard lately. Pins and figures generally end up in a tin or... somewhere in a closet. I honestly don't really care much to collect them. :p

What is your most valuable card?
I honestly haven't kept up with most card prices. The most valuable is likely my Crystal Golem, but I very well may have other cards more valuable that I don't realize. :p

Do you play with cards from your collection or do you buy an extra play set?
I buy used singles of cards I wish to use competitively. I would never use one of my mint cards for that. Generally I'll test a deck on PTCGO until I'm satisfied, then order it in singles.

What do you hate about the Pokémon TCG?
TPC's unhealthy obsession with certain Pokemon like Charizard and Mewtwo. And their overall neglect of many older Pokemon (though that's getting better lately). I also feel they put less time and effort into products; with the hordes of reprints we've received lately, they seem pretty content thinking people are happy buying the same card dozens of times instead of making new ones.

What do you love about it?
Everything else not mentioned above, for the most part. :p

Do you have ensurance on your collection?
I don't... and I haven't really considered it before now. It'd probably be worth doing, considering my collection is probably worth more than my car.

What is your best kept Pokemon TCG (collecting) secret)
There's a local run-down K-Mart, that barely anybody shops at, that has a ton of DPP era cards. They just keep stocking them. I figure they must have a boatload of leftover stock in the back. I don't think many people in my city know about it but I sure take advantage of it. :p

Do you have advice for other collectors?
Trim your nails before handling any cards. I've seen way too many cards with fingernail-induced nicks, especially from people trying to lift them from top-loaders.

My answers are pretty similar if not the same as the rest, but here goes anyway.

1. Simply put I tried and failed, there's just too many nice potential collectable/desirable pulls that could be in there. Plus I couldn't take the thought of if I sold a box I kept down the line and found out whoever got it ended up with something amazing from it haha!

2. When I have pulled it from a pack/box myself in which I'm the first to have it and be careful with it (sleeve then top loader, even avoiding touching the faces of the card itself). I had to purchase some that I didn't get but it is more of a risk in terms of how careful the person you have got it from has been putting it into a sleeve and top loader.

3. Still somewhat work in progress but I split them into common, uncommon, rare. Then separate from that I do the same but with the reverse holos. Then the holos have their separate place. I have and need to buy more narrow cardboard boxes with dividers they go in as my stash grows right now. They are in series order. Ultimately these ones will be sold down the line as my main collector focus is EX's, Secret Rares, FA's. Finally moving on to these, I have split these somewhat down to Regular EX's, FA EX's/Trainers and Secret Rare. Only exception is the Wizards of the Coast era holos/secret rares that are also separate.

4. This sort of stems back from my last answer, I primarily as of today collect EX's, FA's and Secret Rares. The rest I'll most likely slowly shift down the line. If I get a duplicate Break or Regular EX I'll most likely sell those to make way for something else too.

5. I'm not someone who plays the game so I don't have any coins or pins.

6. As of right now my most valuable cards are probably Shining Charizard, Crystal Charizard, some Primal Reversion/EX FA's and a few secret rares.

7. I don't play the game.

8. I know there's probably a few things, although the one that I can of being most relevant to me right now is what others mention which is the up and down card quality on the English language versions I collect. I personally haven't had it too bad at the moment, but I've seen some examples of very poor cutting looking around the web and it's something I hope I don't come across, especially if it ends up happening on an ultra rare or pretty nice pull which must be frustrating.

9. The unpredictability of packs/boxes opening, not knowing what you'll get and the feeling you get when something nice appears. It's a complete rush/rollercoaster. Also the way the EX, FA and Secret Rare cards look really is stunning.

10. Not right now but it is something I've got to think about, especially since I want to get my cards graded down the line.

11. It's not really a secret, but really it is if you want a nice pull then you've got to go a bit crazy sometimes and also go with your instinct, even if it can get a bit all over the place at times.

12. All I'd say is everyone has a specific areas of interest about Pokemon, so I'd say it's interesting to see other people's areas but overall don't let it make you think you have to have an interest in a certain part, just go with what part(s) you personally feel interested by/in.

I consider myself a diehard Pokemon TCG collector - although I skip some stuff. Lol. And as a collector I have a lot of questions about collecting, collectors and collections. I hope many of you will share your answers, tips and advices.

My top 12 for the day...
  1. How do you supress the urge to open sealed stuff?
  2. When is a card good enough?
  3. How do you arrange cards?
  4. Are there any Pokémon cards you don't collect?
  5. How do you store coins and pins?
  6. What is your most valuable card?
  7. Do you play with cards from your collection or do you buy an extra play set?
  8. What do you hate about the Pokémon TCG?
  9. What do you love about it?
  10. Do you have ensurance on your collection?
  11. What is your best kept Pokemon TCG (collecting) secret)
  12. Do you have advice for other collectors?

1) A said by many others I don't. I open everything I get. The one exception is the German Mythical Mew Box that my cousin got for me on a trip to Germany earlier this year, and that's because I don't collect German cards but the thought itself was appreciated.
2) That's a hard call to make. Traditionally if I think it looks good then it works. I'm probably not as picky as some but I don't want huge creases down the middle of the card either.
3) That tends to change. Right now I have a huge live card Pokedex and then a place for all the special cards. I have a separate one for trainers and energy. Everything is holo or reverse holo if at possible.
4) Not really.
5) Coins are in a binder as well with coin holders. Pins are on a corkboard I own. Figures are on the entertainment center. Even jumbos have pages to hold them.
6) Depends on who you ask. I've been collecting for a while. I would guess right now my 1st edition base set shadowless Charizard.
7) For the most part my play cards are separate from my collection, the only exception being Shaymin EX because those things are just so expensive to get a hold of.
8 and 9) I don't really know exactly how to answer these ones.
10) Not that I know of.
11) Um...Sometimes it's better to buy singles than search packs for them. Not really a secret I realize.
12) Collect the way you feel comfortable with. A long time ago I wanted master sets for each Pokémon set before finally realizing how expensive that could get for four sets a year on top of all the boutique products and that wasn't in my budget. Today I have to settle for my current method (see number 3) and who knows what will happen in the future? Just got go with what works.

1. I haven't really tried to not open something =p

2. As long as it's near mint I'm happy. Of course Mint is always ideal.

3. Normally I arrange cards by how they look like I tend to keep full art cards with other full art cards regardless of what set they are from. As for commons and uncommons I just stick them in either tins or elite boxes.

4. I don't like collecting entire sets. I just check all the cards from a set and then select the ones I would like.

5. Ok, I'm kind of weird here. For pins I like to put them in a penny sleeve then tape the opening shut, then tape it down and then tape the sides so that it is kept kind of like in a bubble; pins are kept in one of my tins. As for coins I just give those away xD

6. My most valueable card money wise would probably be my Ultra Ball SR, I think.

7. I don't play the TCG. But if I did I would play with cheaper copies of things and definetely not with cards in my collection.

8. Hm. I don't hate anything about the TCG really =p

9. Love the artwork on the cards. But from a larger view I love how I can show up at a random league and instantly have something in common with a bunch of people. I've made very good friends because of the TCG.

10. I've not given insurance a thought. Maybe I should insure it @^@

11. Hm. I don't know lol. Oh wait I got one. If you go to a card shop and they juuust opened a booster box to sell packs individually and you see someone buy some packs and get 2 full art cards. I would recommend not buying packs from that box =p Because most of the packs left will have junk in them. (If you are after full art cards that is, of course there would still be 3 or 4 ex and maybe a secret rare still floating around in there, but the majority of remaining packs will be a disappointment.)

12. Please for the love of all that is good, sleeve your cards. Creased or crumpled cards make newly hatched Purrloins cry u.u

1. How do you supress the urge to open sealed stuff? I open pretty much everything I buy besides some pop packs. I bought a booster box case and was planning to open one box a month, but caved and instead opened all 6 over 3 months.
  2. When is a card good enough? I usually collect exs and ultra rares that are near mint and never played with. Aka pack to sleeve. Being miscut isn't a huge deal to me.
  3. How do you arrange cards? I have 4 sets per binder, the binder is a zipper/cloth binder and d-ring. I put every card in the set besides exs and secret rares in the binder, I put the reverses infront of the non reverse. Except with holos I put the reverse behind the card facing backwards. Only one card and its reverse per slot, ie you see the back of the non reverses on the back when flipping through the pages. Exs and secret rares are usually sleeved and toploaded.
  4. Are there any Pokémon cards you don't collect? I only collect Next Destinies, Dragons Exalted, Boundaries Crossed, Plasma Storm, Plasma Freeze, Plasma Blast, XY, Flashfire, Furious Fists, Phantom Forces, Primal Clash, Ancient Origins, Breakpoint, Fates Collide, Steam Siege and Evolutions. I don't collect any other set besides ultra rares.
  5. How do you store coins and pins? I don't really collect coins but I keep pins on a shelf with other collectible things.
  6. What is your most valuable card? It's subject to interpretation but I have 2 gold Ultra Balls, 1 full art Shaymin and 1 shiny Charizard from Plasma Storm, as well as 3 gold M Charizard X's.
  7. Do you play with cards from your collection or do you buy an extra play set? I don't play
  8. What do you hate about the Pokémon TCG? That they never made a Suicune Ex. Seriously dropped the ball there. Also so many duplicate full arts. And I guess #9 as well.
  9. What do you love about it? The textured full art cards, I actually started collecting the cards again because of the textured full arts. Since the new GX cards aren't textured I probably won't continue collecting after Evolutions. It's unfortunate so many Pokémon didn't get a full art.
  10. Do you have ensurance on your collection? No
  11. What is your best kept Pokemon TCG (collecting) secret). I guess I have good luck, I'm close to pulling my 1,000th ultra rare and I started collecting in late 2013.
  12. Do you have advice for other collectors? It's very expensive and pulling ultra rares mainly just comes down to luck.

Back