Crabrawler, Sandygast, Palossand, and Stufful Revealed at Worlds!

professorlight

Ice Queen
Am I the only one who finds the proportions on stufful just wrong? From the start, the sharp edge of its muzzle where it meets the mouth gives it this extremely weird expression; it's supposed to be a permanent smile, but it just gets lost, and it comes off as just the shape of the muzzle. and a The-Dark-Knight-Joker kind of scar, even.
Then you have the side view; I get that the head is larger than the body because that's how cute things are, but that is far too much, not to mention that since it's in all fours, the legs look like they come from the head when seen from the front.
The tag is... sigh. It's an attempt as infantile to create an association that it would seem to have been thought by an actual child.

The crab is okay, I guess. The droopy eyelid is a great touch. If nobody ever films themselves super training it to "eye of the tiger", I will be very disappointed.

The sand castles... they felt dumb before, they still do.
I'm not one to use the dumb "they ran out of inspiration" argument without giving reasons, but they just feel that way. "Possessed sand lump/castle" is not a common concept by all means, but it's far too simple to be good, and that's all they are. And spicing them up with the usual cliches of ghost types is just a crutch now; they're always empty, they always drain your life, they always wander about looking for things... they're always just boring.
Look at how unique mismagius is, or mimikyu; even gengar had the whole "shadows" thing to play off. These are just blah.

Cottonmouth25

Flying-type Enthusiast
Crabrawler is probably my favorite of the four (although that name could be better). I love how it further adds to the diversity of crustaceans we already have in the Pokémon world (fiddler crab, crayfish, hermit crab, pistol shrimp, and now coconut crab). I'm also a fan of the Fighting-type it has - not all crustaceans are associated with water, people! And its design... oh, I'm just gushing over its design, from the huge boxing-glove pincers to the injured eye!

Sandygast and Palossand are both awesome in my book. Personally I like Sandygast more, for its creepier design and the way its name rolls off the tongue, but Palossand is essentially the Pokémon equivalent of a Sarlacc and I love it! I think they could have made Palossand a little more appealing if it kept the color scheme from Sandygast - that has to be the ugliest shade of orange I've ever seen. Finally, Water Compaction is such an interesting ability.

Stufful is cute. Bewear has officially been redeemed in my eyes.

Avery Lv. 100

Poketto Monsuta! (Steel Pokemon Master)
I love the simplicity behind palossand and sandygast, normally I'd be irked by the lack of design but they seem to be owning it. in every thing from the names (sandy ghost and pile 'o sand)

and even in their description.
"A Sandygast emerges when the grudges of Pokémon and other creatures soak into the sand after they fall in battle. In essence, it’s a possessed lump of sand!"
Except, Ditto, Solosis, Grimer, Muk, Exeggcute, Diglet, Voltorb, Electrode lol !? They all lack design bro. So it's all g. These things are full on good Pokes! May only be weak to Ghost, Dark, Ice, and Grass. Pretty sweet i think.

Lorde

♕ The Queen ♕
Where's this coming from? Considering that there's 3 parts to each trial, I think one captain should be enough. Plus we know next to nothing about the islands outside of Melemele (and even then we know so little about it).
Don't worry, I have evidence to back me up. Mallow says in the trailer that her "trial grounds" were in the Lush Jungle. Lurantis's information tells us it's the Totem Pokemon for the Lush Jungle on Akala Island. Also, we saw Kiawe on a volcano emitting steam. The only volcano in Alola that's still active or even lets steam out is on that very same island. Akala island is most likely going to have 2 trial captains.

Last edited:

Metalizard

Aspiring Trainer
Crabrawler is an awful name. As for the design, a brownish orange or something would fit it better than that purple imo.

King Xerneas

Icy Goth
Don't worry, I have evidence to back me up. Mallow says in the trailer that her "trial grounds" we're the Lush Jungle. Lurantis's information tells us it's the Totem Pokemon for the Lush Jungle on Akala Island. Also, we saw Kiawe on a volcano emitting steam. The only volcano in Alola that's still active or even lets steam out is on that very same island. Akala island is most likely going to have 2 trial captains.
I'm aware of the Akala info :p but it's also possible that the island with the ice mountain is Akala due to a very dense forest/jungle area surrounding the mountains, but looking back at the map I can see why you think Akala is home to those 2 since there is that island that houses both a dense forest/jungle and a volcano.

Also is it just me or does it seem like Crabrawler has a black eye? Pretty nice touch for something known to pick fights.

SkyeVictini

Seriously, calm down.
Does Stufful have a plushie tag on it's butt?

Also, Palossand? I think they're going all out on the punny names this gen. XD

dotamin

Aspiring Trainer
The sandcastles and red panda plushy look much better in game. Crabrawler is conceptually a very interesting pokemon and I'm glad they didn't stick water typing on it since it's based on coconut crab. I wish its coloration was more 'warmer' (orange/red/yellow) but with Kingler and Crawdaunt it might seem a bit redundant.

Mr. Rhyperior

The Drill Pokemon. An evolve form of Rhydon.
My Evaluations:
  • Stufful- Very cute. Still vulnerable to Fire.
  • Sandygast/Pallosand - I like its Bio. The radar-like shovel on Pallo makes me impressed. Don't try to pull the shovel or else you'll be manipulated. I like theire sbility thst makes Water-types Bewear.
  • Crabrawler- I like it. A fighting-type crab. I hope it can do some bit of Water-type moves.

J.D.

Mewtwo Fan
Even in full 3D, Stufful is still the worst design produced by this generation so far...
Am I the only one who finds the proportions on stufful just wrong? From the start, the sharp edge of its muzzle where it meets the mouth gives it this extremely weird expression; it's supposed to be a permanent smile, but it just gets lost, and it comes off as just the shape of the muzzle. and a The-Dark-Knight-Joker kind of scar, even.
Then you have the side view; I get that the head is larger than the body because that's how cute things are, but that is far too much, not to mention that since it's in all fours, the legs look like they come from the head when seen from the front.
Yeah, that's pretty much my thoughts on the design.

Still love the sand castle characters... bio may be a little cliche by this point, but I still like the designs.

And the crab... hmm... name could have been better. And call me weird if you want, but he reminds me of Donald Trump... I think it's his crazy... um... haircut?

One more thing... is anyone else starting to feel like they're revealing ALL of the new characters? I mean, Gen 6 gave us... what, 70 new characters? They've already revealed 39 of the newcomers, and the most reliable rumors say the number of new additions will only be slightly higher than last gen, which means they may have revealed half or nearly half of the newcomers by this point.

Last edited:

professorlight

Ice Queen
This is what I mean.

lR5BoWo.png

See? its face is just wrong.

Last edited:

taschen88

Aspiring Trainer
i hope several other pokémon get 'water compaction' ability as well.
the fanmade roms would sure love to switch pokémon abilites with that!

JRMFTW

Crazy Old Man
So water is still super effective against Palossand? If so, this may be absolutely amazing in double battles. Pair it with something that knows surf, add a weakness policy and let it set up for a sweep. Pending whether it has decent stats and some form of recovery however.

garbodorable

Aspiring Trainer
I really like how much thought is going into the new pokemon's habitats and interactions in the Pokemon world this gen. Crabrawler boxing each other for high spaces, the way Coconut Crabs appear up trees. Sandygast and Palossand possessing children and adults to add sand to their bodies, like an explanation for the weird ritual we all do at beaches. Pyukumuku always returning to their spot on the shore even when teens are hired to throw them back in the ocean, because they're too ugly for tourists. And then there's the Alolan forms. It feels like they drew more inspiration from the region than ever before, and always sought to answer how such-and-such fits in Alola.

RealSlim

Dragons Breeder
I'm not one to use the dumb "they ran out of inspiration" argument without giving reasons, but they just feel that way. "Possessed sand lump/castle" is not a common concept by all means, but it's far too simple to be good, and that's all they are..
With these words, you're cutting out half of the first generation! We have Grimer/Muk, very beautiful and inspired uh... or Diglett/Dugtrio, a bunch of... fingers? Voltorb/Electrode... a Poké Ball and a reversed Poké Ball, that makes sense... and that's all for the moment! And this was when they had "inspiration", I suppose... Stop with that "inspiration" groan, I find these sand castles very very original! A sand castle with a ghost in it, just strange and original, nobody was expecting it and it fits perfectly inside an exotic environment.

Last edited:

MrCoolViking

Aspiring Trainer
Yet another reveal? Wow, the hype's getting stronger! Or should I say (quoting Scooter): "Hyper, hyper!" :p

Crabrawler: A mixture of a coconut crab and a mantis shrimp? I like it. I would guess it'll get Ice Punch as one of its level-up moves...!?

Sandygast/Palossand: Finally we got their English names. I "dig" them! (sorry for the bad pun...:rolleyes:). Simple design, yet very imaginitive. But I still don't think I'll use any of them in my team.

Stufful: Another cute Pokémon. I like this one better than its evolution, but still...

Now that we've gotten several new Pokémon reveals the last couple of months, I've started thinking of which of them that would end up in my team?

Thus far my favourite roster list is:

- Litten: I've always used my starter in E4, no matter what. Will be a part of the Island Challenges, too. Litten is still my favourite starter, but I want to see the "REAL" last evo before my definite decision.
- Pikipek: Flying Pokémon is another Pokémon I've always used all the way. I'm very curious about what Pikipek's evos will look like. But Oricorio has still got a foot inside the door, so, who knows...?!
- Rockruff: I've never used Rock Pokémon against E4 (as far as I can remember), but Rockruff's just too precious. I really hope for it to get a cool evo.
- Mudbray/Mudsdale: I've used (part) Ground Pokémon against E4 in earlier games, and this time it's no different. These horses are among my favourites.
- Fomantis/Lurantis: I've almost always used Grass Pokémon against E4, so Fomantis/Lurantis are potential candidates! But, who knows?
- Crabrawler or Pyukumuku: These two are both candidates for the final battles, but I'm still very indecisive here. Could end up with something completely different...! Even though Water Pokémon always has been on my team, I'm still uncertain about Pyukumuku. Maybe we will get yet another Water Pokémon? Since Crabrawler is so new, I'm still a bit dubious, but maybe?!

"Runner-ups":
- Solgaleo/Lunala/Magearna: I'm no stranger (probably unlike most Pokémon players) to using Legendaries against the Champions. So it's possible I'll use one of these (depending on the game version).

But we've still got a lot of Pokémon yet to be revealed, so this list may change completely on a later date...