Ruling Crabominable vs Shell Trap (Turtonator-GX)

semurphy444

Aspiring Trainer
I'm fairly certain this is a bug on PTCGO; if anyone wants to try to recreate it with me I'd appreciate it. In both examples in the rules Compendium- The secondary effects of the attack occur prior to Shell Trap placing 8 damage counters. (i.e. Shaymin-EX returns to hand & TapuBulu Heals prior to damage)

I used float stone or max potion (cant remember) but had a counter free Crabominable attack into a Turtonator-GX that attacked with Shell trap. I got hit with a 80 (Shell Trap), and then a 2nd 80 (presumably 10 damage for every counter- Additional verbiage on Guts Hammer's attack); and I ended up KOing myself- where I was expecting to have a wounded Crabominable still in play.

Bug or am I missing something?

From the PTCGO Online Known Issues Forum:
  • Turtonator-GX (BUS #18, 131, 148): Damage counters from Shell Trap's retaliation effect are placed before all effects of the triggering attack are resolved.

I have my answer.

Going off of card text. Crabominable damage goes through first, which then triggers Shell Trap

Going off of card text. Crabominable damage goes through first, which then triggers Shell Trap

From the Rules Copendium

Q. Say my opponent used Turtonator GX's "Shell Trap" attack last turn, then on my turn I attack it with Tapu Bulu GX's "Tapu Wilderness GX" attack. Does "Shell Trap" place its damage counters before or after the healing part of "Tapu Wilderness GX"?
A. Tapu Wilderness GX heals Tapu Bulu GX as part of its attack before the damage counters are placed for Shell Trap's effect. So in the end Tapu Bulu GX will have 8 damage counters on it. (Jun 8, 2017 TPCi Rules Team)

Gutsy Hammer 80
This Pokémon does 10 damage to itself for each damage counter on it.

Similarly; Gutsy Hammer should do its 10 damage to itself PRIOR to Shell Trap. (So even if a Crabominable was Fully Shell Trapped)- Got 20 Damage. The Gutsy Hammer should place 80 (or 100 with strong- Or even 130 with Strong+CB) Onto Turtonator. The Crabominable should then take the self inflicting damage as it was still part of his attack to go to 40. And finally take the 8 counters of the Shell Trap- to end with 120 (but still alive)

Back