Countering Metagame Decks

blargh257

IT'S BEEN THREE THOUSAND YEARS
I'd like to make a collection of counters to the meta. Mostly just what counters what, and how good it is at doing it. For example:
Plasma
Enhanced Hammer
Cobalion EX
Drifblim DRX
Blastoise
Frozen City
Gothitelle
Keldeo EX(/Float Stone)
Audino
Darkrai
Terrakion
Mr. Mime
Lucario PLS?
etc.
Any ideas?

I wouldn't call those counters. I would call them clunky techs personally :p

For example, Drifblim is an Pokemon, let alone an evolution, that takes up a bench slot and is waaaayyy too hard to get set up.

if you want a real blastoise counter, Ampharos DRX with a plasma badge and frozen city. 50 damage per energy.

TokyoToots said:
if you want a real blastoise counter, Ampharos DRX with a plasma badge and frozen city. 50 damage per energy.

Nuh uh, Blastoise can beat that easily. By attacking. Seriously, its that easy. Playing other Stadiums (which they should definitely be playing anyway) will also null Frozen City. Your strategy takes a stupidly large amount of setup and is OHKOed easily.

Leafeon Plasma and Tropius from Plasma Blast can counter Blastoise.

SheNinja said:
I wouldn't call those counters. I would call them clunky techs personally :p

For example, Drifblim is an Pokemon, let alone an evolution, that takes up a bench slot and is waaaayyy too hard to get set up.

Well, yes, Drifblim doesn't really work as a 1-1 (or generally a 2-2,) but I've tested decks that use a 3-2 Drifblim line to sweep through Plasma, and it works if you can get the N with it.

Thank you for mentioning Enhanced Hammer! I was about to make a thread about this.

Any Deck losing often against Plasma should be able to win simply by having 2-4 Enhanced Hammer. I daresay you could even replace a Catcher for it. Its really quite important now.

Cobalion NV can be a good Plasma counter. It can potentially come out of nowhere with attachment and Energy Switch to one-shot Kyurems using Blizzard Burn.

Cobalion-EX and Enhanced Hammer should be the only things you would ever need to tech in to beat Plasma.

Which one you use depends on which deck you are playing.

Another effective counter to Plasma, Gothitelle and Darkrai decks is Garbodor.

I also like Landorus EX vs. Darkrai EX decks too.

When Virizion EX and Genesect EX are released, they will also be, IMHO, quite effective counters against Blastoise decks.

Is no one going to count Leafeon as a good Keldeo counter? UnU
The new Eeveelutions can be fairly decent but they lack some sort of defense sadly...
I'd have to say if you are at a field advantage, Espeon can snipe most psychic threats for 80 damage on the bench.

Keldeo is not really the main attacker of the Blastoise deck any more; its not really as necessary to OHKO it as it once was. Plus, the new attacker of Blastoise decks is BKEX, which discards the energy attached to it and makes Leafeon often fail to hit the OHKO on anything anyway. And what exactly do you think 80 damage to a benched Deoxys EX will do? It won't net you any prizes until you've used the attack 3 times and even then it doesn't affect your opponent's board at all. Meanwhile you've almost certainly lost 3 prizes and tons of resources trying to stream low HP Stage 1s. Since you're using such low HP 'mons they don't even need Deoxys EX anyway. Plus, each of those is a Stage 1, meaning they're difficult to set up repeatedly when getting OHKOed, and their pitiful HP means that they will be OHKOed.

No, Keldeo Float Stone works. The reason you can't retreat is because Accelgor paralyzes your Active Pokemon; after Keldeo Rushes In it can retreat just fine assuming that it has the energy or Float Stone. 2 Keldeo works if you plan on actually attacking with them, but Keldeo Float Stone lets you Rush In turn after turn to let something else attack anyway.

True enough. The idea is that with your main attacker you can do enough damage to shut them down faster, but that could still kill you.

I've in general run double Keldeo in everything because I'm nervous about the Goth matchup, along with three Float Stone. It hasn't worked since I've never played against this format's Goth, but that's my idea.

Genesect EX will be the best counter to Blastoise/Keldeo. Tropius could work against a loaded Keldeo.

Plasma decks have 2 Driftblims to deal with. The one that can basically attack for free against a plasma deck and the one that adds damage for each special energy in the discard pile. They actually work really well together since one discards special energy increasing the damage output of the other (potential fun deck).

Lucario PLS is awesome. I run a deck with it online and it's a very good attacker (especially late game). Surprised it doesn't see more play.

Back