Help Contents of a Prerelease case

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Got some questions for those that know about the contents of the prerelease cases.

At the Ultra Prism prerelease, I was able to obtain a discarded box that held the prerelease kits and I'm using it as storage for my prerelease kits (as pictured). Am wondering is this the first set where they started using these display boxes for the kits? I don't recall seeing one for Crimson Invasion, and I do remember hearing of changes made with the Ultra Prism prerelease cases (namely the Energy Box display).

I noticed that this Ultra Prism display holds 10 prerelease kits, and I remember watching a Youtube vid of someone opening a Fates Collide prerelease case and it only contained 8 kits. Can anyone confirm if the 2 additional kits started with Ultra Prism? Want to know this because the store that hosts our prereleases increased the price of entry from $40NZD to $50NZD, which is pretty steep. I heard it was because the distributors increased the price, and thus the increase in the entry fee was to cover that. However, if it turns out that the price had increased as a result of the extra content (2 more kits) then the entry fee increase isn't really justified...

Attachments

• 27781313_10214176271976741_603188786_n.jpg
    27781313_10214176271976741_603188786_n.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 13

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
As of 2018 they changed how prerelese kits are. Aka ultra prism and on.
How it use to be is prerelease kits came as follows
Each box came with
8 prerelese personal kit boxes
1 box of assorted energy n each energy box had a random staff promo card
1 36 pack booster box(same you buy yourself)
How it is now is following per kit
10 personal prerelease kit boxes. In a disply box
1 box assorted energy with 1 promo code for energy for online game.(i know lol who needs basic energy online. )
1 36 pack booster box
And 1 of each promo prerelease staff card.( best part)
I do believe if you order 1 to 4 kits you still only get 1 staff pack of 1 of each staff prerelease. If you order 5 to 8 you will get to of each.
The old way was 1 staff for every kit but was random. So you could order 4 kits n get all 4 same staff cards. Now you get 1 of each for every kit.

Last you notice is less prize support. Old way you got 36 packs to hand out for every 8 players. Now its 36 packs for every 10.

Last yes price did go up but not by much. Main reason alot of people have higher prices for prerelease starting with ultra prism is prize support mainly. They have to add in own stock just to give decent prize support. Most places i play at price stayed the same but, the prize support was alot smaller.
Look at it this way in most prereleases you auto get 3 packs at end just for playing. So they take a 36 booster box per 8 people. That's 24 packs leaving you 12 extra to give to top players.
Now you need 10. Give 3 packs to all once again. Leaves you 6 packs to spread to top players.

Old way nornally was as follows 1st got 8 packs 2nd 7 packs 3rd 5 packs 4th 4 packs 5th 6th 7th and 8th would all get 3 packs each . Thus using all 36 packs per 8 players .(note more players you have more packs wherr given out to the top half. Most i play in have 32 to 40 players)

Now new way packs are as follows.
[1st 5 packs][ 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th 4 packs ] [Then 6th throu 10th 3 packs each].
In order forbplaces to give better prize support they charge more to throw in own supply.
So places had a couple options.
1 charge more to keep prize support higher.
2 dont do prize support just give 3 packs to all. And keep 6 packs to sellbat market prize.
3 give lower prize support to kerp prices same. And players who did better got a little more prize packs but not much. Lol
4 do same prize support and charge same. Take a small hit. Just to make players happy. Hoping they keep coming and buy other products and such.

All 4 prereleases i went to went with option 2 or 3. Except 1 went with option 4. (Which is my main store i play at. We got 70 kits for ultra prism sold about 60).

Last edited:

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
Sorry long post. Hope that covers any questions. Im rereading just incase typos.(i do them alot on my phone. Trying to get better)

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
No I don't mind the long response, in fact I appreciate it. Thank you for the information.

What you said is true about less prize support as a case now provides for 10 participants rather than 8, however unfortunately it's completely irrelevant in my situation. Our store provides 2 "prize packs" for each participant at the end, regardless of placings. So therefore a prerelease case covered 18 participants in prizes for us. Now I bet our store sounds profit hungry doesn't it? lol

The one of each staff promo card is certainly interesting, I wonder if that will devalue them slightly (probably not since they are still very exclusive to obtain). Surely these promos are included as bonuses for the staff and TOs though and shouldn't have really been a factor in the price increase...but I could be wrong.

I do believe if you order 1 to 4 kits you still only get 1 staff pack of 1 of each staff prerelease. If you order 5 to 8 you will get to of each.
The old way was 1 staff for every kit but was random. So you could order 4 kits n get all 4 same staff cards. Now you get 1 of each for every kit.

Wait are the staff promos separate from the case? Not quite sure if I follow this. So is it if 1-4 cases are ordered, they would receive just one pack of staff promos that contained 1 of each. But if they ordered 5-8 cases, they would receive 2 packs?

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
Yes staff cards now are mailed separate in a paded envelope. They use to be 1 in each energy box.
And wait 2 packs per person with 18 people tgat means they used 1 booster box then kept another box. Wow id never play there again. And they charge more. Greeedy i tell ya. I know the kits even booster boxes the store pays for. But still i know it's around 15 bucks per prereeakse kit about on average. They still make decent amount of money. Most places in my area are either 25 bucks or 30 bucks.

Last edited:

Gameguard

Aspiring Trainer
And about the staff promos. Yes if you understand 10 prerelease kits are in each shop kit. For every 4 shop kit ordered you get a pack pf 4 staff promos, 1 of each.
So if you order 1 to 4 you get 1 of each if you order 5 to 8 you get 2 of each staff promo. If you order 9 to 12 you get 3 of each. My main store i play at got 2 of each.
In order to qualify for more store kits you have to sell a certain amount from the last prerelease. Wjen u first start doing leagues and prerelease. You get 1 store kit. Then if you sell 3/4 or sell out. The next prerelease you would get 2 kits. It keeps going up til you reach a number thats under 3/4. So my last prerelease for the main store i played at had 7 store kits. We sold 60 ish . So next prerelese we will get 8 store kits. Tbh that prob gonna be our max. Maybe 9 it all depends on how popular it remains this summer.

Chimecho3000

Aspiring Trainer
Yes staff cards now are mailed separate in a paded envelope. They use to be 1 in each energy box.
And wait 2 packs per person with 18 people tgat means they used 1 booster box then kept another box. Wow id never play there again. And they charge more. Greeedy i tell ya. I know the kits even booster boxes the store pays for. But still i know it's around 15 bucks per prereeakse kit about on average. They still make decent amount of money. Most places in my area are either 25 bucks or 30 bucks.

Yeah I know right. Our prereleases are held on the last weekend only, with a maximum of 25 entrants each day. Our store would need to have 5 prerelease cases in order to cater that. So let's assume we had the max amount of participants, they would have received 5 booster boxes = 180 packs - 100 packs as prizes leaving 80 packs leftover, so that's two full boxes and a few loose packs as store stock. Unfortunately they are our only trading card game store that is licensed to hold the POP events, so they're kinda a monopoly in my area. So I have no choice but to fork out for the overpriced fee or not attend a prerelease at all. At least it's only once every 3 months I guess.

Cool, thanks for the info regarding the promos, I understand now.