Competitive VG Simple Questions Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: The Competitive Battling Questions Thread

Chandelure's biggest problem is Stealth Rock. Losing a quarter of your HP every time you switch in--minimum--is going to take its toll. If you don't want to use Tyranitar, just switch a guy in who resists the move you just got killed with and play accordingly.

They can be passed down if the female has the Dream World ability.

Lets say you have two Deoxys on a team, one Deoxys-S, one Deoxys-D. Would that activate the species clause?

Hatman: Yes. Species Clause is determined by Pokedex number, not forme.

BES: Just one. You can befriend as many Pokemon as you're able, but you can only take one back with you.

Thanks for the reply PMJ.

That's actually too bad... I'm only finding Male Pokemon. I'd like a Female to breed with...

Hello, so, here's my story. I really want to get into competitive battling, but, I'm not so sure of how to go about it. See, my drema team would be a Team that encompasses every Type under the possible sun (i.e. 12). However, EV Training is very new to me. Can someone please explain to me how to do the following:

Get 31 Special Attack IV's on a Deino

After Hydreigon, I have basically no idea of who else to place on my team. If someone could give me some suggestions, that'd be great. I really want to experiment with using 6 Pokemon with 2 Types each. Dark and Dragon are already out, but I'm sure that there are some other great sweepers out there of dual typings. :p

Competitive battling isn't exactly about personal preferences, it's about building a team that can beat other teams. I guess you could try building a team with all the types, but there is going to be a more efficient team that will beat yours. Many times, having the same weaknesses is bad, but that doesn't mean overlapping types is bad at all.

If you are competitively battling you want 31 IVs in everything (except Attack if you have no physical moves or you need a Hidden Power), not just special attack. There are ways to pass down IVs with Power Items, but first you need to worry about nature. The Nature is very significant, so breed for that first, and then continue breeding with an everstone on the correct natured parent to eventually get the IVs you need. A faster way is RNG manipulation, but IDK how to do it in BW.

I was wondering what a good moveset would be to use with a Tropius that has the Harvest ability. And also what berry would probably be the best to use with it.

pokemonjoe said:
Is there any way to get memento on smeargle?
This is from Smogon hope it helps.
Memento
The move Memento causes the user to faint, and there is no ability which causes it to fail. However, the move can be forced to fail in one of two ways: if it has no target, or if the Memento user falls victim to Taunt.

Taunt Method
1.Bring your own Pokemon with Taunt, and a Pokemon with Memento. The Taunter must be faster. Use Memento the first turn, while using Taunt on the Memento user. Memento will fail, but will still count as being used.
2.Switch the Taunter out for your Smeargle, while wasting the Memento user's turn by using an item.
3.If your Smeargle is faster, Sketch Memento and it won't matter what the Pokemon does. If your Smeargle is slower, waste the Memento user's turn once again while Smeargle uses Sketch.

miniman said:
pokemonjoe said:
Is there any way to get memento on smeargle?
This is from Smogon hope it helps.
Memento
The move Memento causes the user to faint, and there is no ability which causes it to fail. However, the move can be forced to fail in one of two ways: if it has no target, or if the Memento user falls victim to Taunt.

Taunt Method
1.Bring your own Pokemon with Taunt, and a Pokemon with Memento. The Taunter must be faster. Use Memento the first turn, while using Taunt on the Memento user. Memento will fail, but will still count as being used.
2.Switch the Taunter out for your Smeargle, while wasting the Memento user's turn by using an item.
3.If your Smeargle is faster, Sketch Memento and it won't matter what the Pokemon does. If your Smeargle is slower, waste the Memento user's turn once again while Smeargle uses Sketch.

awesome thanks!

I was looking at the regulations for competition

http://www.pokemonvgc.com/en/regulations

My question is, are dream world pokemon considered "caught in the game, or received by an official event or distribution", and therefore allowed?

Technically, they are. But since none of the Unova Pokemon are currently available in the DW, nothing with a DW ability is allowed (well, aside from Darmanitan and Musharna).

My question: Is a Choice Scarfed Outrage Garchomp or a Sweeper Garchomp better? By sweeper, I mean:

Earthquake
Stone Edge
Dragon Rush
Surf(I think it can learn it)

That in no way is a viable or even good movest. A sweeper Garchomp would look more like this :

Garchomp @ Yache Berry
Jolly
252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Swords Dance
Outrage
Earthquake
Stone Edge / Fire Fang / Fire Blast

Surf has no role on a Garchomp and serves no use at all. Choice Scarf Garchomp also has a different role than SD Chomp or such. It is more of a Pokemon to check set up threats. Also, Dragon Rush isn't a very viable move either. I suggest doing more reasearch on this stuff if you want to get better.

^Thanks for the help. I've been trying on various sites, such as Serebii.net and Pokegym to see different movesets. Guess they weren't that great. I'm going to go with sweeper Garchomp. I'm just not that compeditive when it comes to VG. Thanks for inspiring me to try getting back into it again. :) Guess I needed a little wake-up call. :p

lol, I thought Pokegym was for TCG. Try Smogon, its better, but it doesn't have Gen 5 stuff up yet.

i was wondering dose the IVs on a poke change in evolution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back