Discussion Competitive Tier List

CrownAxe

Aspiring Trainer
Where would Sylveon GX be? : ^)
Like Tier 3. Multiple top tier decks can shrug off enrgy disruption (like Gardevoir or Metagross) and Ho-Oh out speeds Sylveon. Plus the deck takes so long to play it effectively its playing best of 1 in tournament so it can't make up for losing the first game

AlphaVoxel

Definitely still in development...
Forum Mod
Alright, based on what I see played, and what seems to pop up on the Pokemon website/PokeBeach/etc. Please don't get mad at me if something is wrong. I am not an expert, but I think I have a decent idea of the tiers:

Tier 1 ("Meta"):
Gardevoir GX
Garbodor/variants
Volcanion/variants
Metagross/some variants
Darkrai (Maybe)
Golisopod (Maybe)
Marshadow/variants (A case could be made for this to be in Tier 2)

Tier 2:
Ninetales
Tapu Bulu
Greninja

Tier 3:
Aqua box (No idea what this is, so imma stick it here for now)
Tapu Koko GX
DeciduTails
Sylveon

Probably not very playable/Really not in a tier:
Xerneas BREAK (I am not sure this is very playable anymore...)
Decidueye/Ninetales (This deck, as far as I am concerned, is not nearly as good as it was, mostly due to loss of FoGP. Rare Candy variants work, but are slow and clunky...)

Once again, this is more from my point of view. For some of these, a case could be made for some decks to be in other tiers.

Thanks,
-AV

JGB146

♫♪.ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı.♫♪
If any deck I have loses to Darkrai without beating everything else in the meta, I scrap the deck. No way Darkrai is T1. Unless it's a spread deck, I'd rather face Darkrai than DeciTales. Almost regardless of the deck, I'd MUCH rather face Darkrai than anything listed in Tier 2, and over Tapu Koko GX as well.

I'd also put Marshadow in T2 or T3. Compared to those (and Metagross), Golisopod is easily T1 - no maybes about it.

Okazu

Aspiring Trainer
I've been playing with a Darkrai deck online. Gets shut down by a lot of decks but sometimes you can make some real magic happen with the right draws. Honestly not surprised to see it in tier 3 :p

JGB146

♫♪.ılıl|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|lılı.♫♪
I've been playing with a Darkrai deck online. Gets shut down by a lot of decks but sometimes you can make some real magic happen with the right draws. Honestly not surprised to see it in tier 3 :p

With the right draws, Typholosion is BDIF.

But yeah, Darkrai isn't completely off the map. It's just a bit underwhelming in standard. Now, in expanded...a whole different story.

pikachuuuu101

Custom Title
are there any other decks (like tysphlosion) taht desirve to be on here?
(getting perpared to add zouark break to teir one)

swaginator5000

Aspiring Trainer
are there any other decks (like tysphlosion) taht desirve to be on here?
(getting perpared to add zouark break to teir one)
wtf zoroark break tier 1??? its maybe at best just squeezing into t2 right now more than likely t3 and you should also probably add a t4/rouge section if you really want to add typhlosion. also greninja could be considered for t2 with its finalist showing yesterday and at least 1 other top 32 spot. decidueye tails could also be considered for t2 with 2 top 32s in hartford and 2 at bremen

pikachuuuu101

Custom Title
sorry zouark gx

and teir lists are judged by amount of players, not just standings, thus if one person wins with a deck and it dosent have any people who play it other than the one player, it is not high teir, its high winrate.

pikachuuuu101

Custom Title
in that case still a no imo as we should wait for it to prove itself and place it on an "unproven/unknown" list

it has done well in japan and will ( probably) do well here, i do understand why you said that but i can either see it as an inclusion to alredy good decks, or as its own arcatype

pikachuuuu101

Custom Title
Teir list updated for shining legends (very little info for new decks, this is just based of a leuge cup i attended)

TotoBoss

Kappa
I tested raichuzone a lot. Even before it came out with proxies. And i can tell you that Im certain its not tier 2. As much as i tried, with magnezone at least, its suuuuuper clunky. You rely on a stage 1 and 2 and both must be in play to function properly. For me at least it didnt really work out too well. Unless someone can prove me wrong here i think i should be lower in the tier list.

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Tier 1 ("Meta"):
Gardevoir GX
Garbodor/variants
Volcanion/variants
Metagross/some variants
Darkrai (Maybe)
Golisopod (Maybe)
Marshadow/variants (A case could be made for this to be in Tier 2)

This tier 1 is wayyy too large. Either move Gardy, GolisoGarb, and Volc into an 'S' tier or moves so other lists out of tier one. Marshadow Box is nowhere near 'meta' either.

S Tier: These decks have few bad matchups, are consistent and are benchmark decks. If you lose to two or more of these decks you're not competitive.

~ Gardevoir/ Sylveon
~ Volcanion Variants
~ Golisopod/ Garbodor

1st Tier: The decks might have a few bad matchups but can tech or play around most of them in a pinch. These decks might not be as consistent as S Tier Decks but they are still reliable.

~ Metagross GX
~ Tapu Bulu GX/ Vikavolt
~ Espeon GX/ Garbodor and Drampa/ Garbodor
~ Ho-Oh GX/ Salazzle GX
~ Ninetales GX/ Espeon EX

2nd Tier: These decks will have consistency issues and have some really poor matchups. They are however still a threat in the right hands and under the right circumstances.

~ Greninja BREAK
~ Solgaleo GX/ Rayquaza
~ Darkrai EX/ GX "Turbo Dark"
~ Ninetales GX/ Decidueye GX

3rd Tier: This could be considered the 'Rogue Tier' in my eyes. These decks struggle to maintain consistency but have that unknown factor that can make them difficult to deal with.

~ Xerneas BREAK
~ Pikachu EX/ Magnezone
~ Marshadow GX Tool Box

Last edited:

TotoBoss

Kappa
This tier 1 is wayyy too large. Either move Gardy, GolisoGarb, and Volc into an 'S' tier or moves so other lists out of tier one. Marshadow Box is nowhere near 'meta' either.

S Tier: These decks have few bad matchups, are consistent and are benchmark decks. If you lose to two or more of these decks you're not competitive.

~ Gardevoir/ Sylveon
~ Volcanion Variants
~ Golisopod/ Garbodor

1st Tier: The decks might have a few bad matchups but can tech or play around most of them in a pinch. These decks might not be as consistent as S Tier Decks but they are still reliable.

~ Metagross GX
~ Tapu Bulu GX/ Vikavolt
~ Espeon GX/ Garbodor and Drampa/ Garbodor
~ Ho-Oh GX/ Salazzle GX
~ Ninetales GX/ Espeon EX

2nd Tier: These decks will have consistency issues and have some really poor matchups. They are however still a threat in the right hands and under the right circumstances.

~ Greninja BREAK
~ Solgaleo GX/ Rayquaza
~ Darkrai EX/ GX "Turbo Dark"
~ Ninetales GX/ Decidueye GX

3rd Tier: This could be considered the 'Rogue Tier' in my eyes. These decks struggle to maintain consistency but have that unknown factor that can make them difficult to deal with.

~ Xerneas BREAK
~ Pikachu EX/ Magnezone

Honestly, im pretty confident to say lapras gx box/waterbox or whatever you want to call it should be up here . It has decent match ups accross the board and imo its extremely underrated. I can win from gardy/volc (both s tier decks according to your rating) and from all t1 decks it only has a bad match up against garb and the rest is pretty good tbh. Bulu might seem bad at first but just as they one shot you, you oneshot them back. If you kill of their vikas before they set up, they might not be able to apply any pressure as it takes 4 horn attacks to kill lapras without a band. And without vika, they cant really set up. Overall lapras' matchups are decent. So i think it should be up there. And not as a rogue deck because it is pretty consistent and it match ups are good accross the board.

CaptZero

Aspiring Trainer
Honestly, im pretty confident to say lapras gx box/waterbox or whatever you want to call it should be up here . It has decent match ups accross the board and imo its extremely underrated. I can win from gardy/volc (both s tier decks according to your rating) and from all t1 decks it only has a bad match up against garb and the rest is pretty good tbh. Bulu might seem bad at first but just as they one shot you, you oneshot them back. If you kill of their vikas before they set up, they might not be able to apply any pressure as it takes 4 horn attacks to kill lapras without a band. And without vika, they cant really set up. Overall lapras' matchups are decent. So i think it should be up there. And not as a rogue deck because it is pretty consistent and it match ups are good accross the board.

Hmmm, maybe it's your personal opinion that you can beat Gardevoir GX/ Sylveon GX, but I just don't see that happening. I'd say considering the rate at which Gardevoir ramps up and their access to prize denial like Accerola while OHKOing you makes that matchup extremely tough if not an out-and-out auto loss. Then there's Golisopod GX/ Garbodor which runs through Lapras. That alone is, in my opinion, reason enough to exclude it from any serious competitive tier list, but you also bring up Bulu, which is a really bad MU for you. They set up faster and miss one Choice Band and Bulu is going to heal off whatever damage you did to it while OHKOing you back. You're also super reliant on items if you play "Patch City" which is Trashvalanche food against Garbodor Variants.

TotoBoss

Kappa
Hmmm, maybe it's your personal opinion that you can beat Gardevoir GX/ Sylveon GX, but I just don't see that happening. I'd say considering the rate at which Gardevoir ramps up and their access to prize denial like Accerola while OHKOing you makes that matchup extremely tough if not an out-and-out auto loss. Then there's Golisopod GX/ Garbodor which runs through Lapras. That alone is, in my opinion, reason enough to exclude it from any serious competitive tier list, but you also bring up Bulu, which is a really bad MU for you. They set up faster and miss one Choice Band and Bulu is going to heal off whatever damage you did to it while OHKOing you back. You're also super reliant on items if you play "Patch City" which is Trashvalanche food against Garbodor Variants.
Gardy/sylveon is not really an "opinion" if I've played against it several times and won, otherwise please look up the definition of opinion. And bulu, honestly, bulu isn't a bad match up. I can set up faster as bulu can and sweep through their attackers before they do mine. And if I happen to get rid of vika, well gg they basically lost already. Weakness doesn't mean something is an auto-loss. If you've never played Lapras you wouldn't know that it's bulu match up is pretty good. I'm not saying lapras is S tier, it's far from. but It's way better than people expect it to be. It's super underrated and the set up is pretty consistent. T2 lapras and you can sweep through a lot of decks with ease. And maybe not golisopod, but enough to be considered a decent deck. At least that's what I think, and I wish I had the top table data to back it up, which I don't, which honestly I think is because nobody even considers lapras anymore which is such a shame. But I still have faith in lapras, and that's all I really want to say. If you don't think lapras should be up there, I won't argue further, simply because I really can't back anything up with "oh it got top 8 here and there". All I'm saying is that it's a super good underrated deck, and I think it should deserve more love competitively.