Help Competitive players’ budget

Getting back to the original question... I'm pretty sure that I'm an exception to the average case, but I tend to spend in the $25-50 range out of pocket for each new set that comes out. I supplement that by selling pulls/packs/mats that I win each quarter, and by judging in multiple leagues, and by TOing Pokebeach tournaments.

I also cater my decks slightly toward what I can build without breaking the bank (so, for example, right now I still have zero Rayquaza GX and I have only a single copy of Blacephalon GX which was obtained before the price spike, costing me around $11). If I need expensive cards to be competitive, then I will get them. But most formats have a few mid-tier options that are actually very strong (examples include Bulu and Solgaleo in the Garde formats, Silvally Boxes in the pre-baby-Buzz formats, Psychic Malamar while baby buzz and Buzz GX were at their height, GasKan last format, Decidueye/Zoroark and Granbull in the current format).

Nice, those values are useful for me to set a target and see if I'm doing over or under. Since you're also making money from your hobby, does getting better GX's treated as a ROI? For example: If I pay 50$ on those 2 cards, I have better chances to get a nice place on this championship and score more prizes to sell/earn.

Nope, more expensive cards are no that good return of investment because it may be that you win more likely with Blacephalon than with other decks but a Blacephalon deck doesn't guarantee you success. There is sometimes a metagame with a clear BDIF but there is always a way to beat it. A good example was the start of this season, where Rayquaza GX (costing around $20 that time) was a hyped card but not much better as Zoroark GX (under $10) when suddenly Shrine of Punishment appeared, which did not play any cards over $5 (except Cynthia maybe) and it was able to take over two tournaments without being an expensive deck.

Back