Competitive Discussion Of The Week 7

PDC

The PDC Show comes to an abrupt end...
You STILL know the drill....

What do you think is / was the most overated Pokemon in the metagame? Why was it hyped so much?

Sazandora. Likely because it could break stalls easily. I also feel that vulcarona is overly hyped just because it has butterfly dance. And I think landorus is overly hyped because of the abilities it has.

Chandelure was SO overhyped it wasnt funny. Sure it can hit hard, and Shadow Tag is a big benefit, but it isn't the metagame changing god that everyone was so excited about. Also, its speed puts it in the same class as Porygon-Z. It can pretty much Scarf, and thats it. Haxorus is also overhyped. He is still a huge threat that can rip through unprepared teams, but once again it needs a Scarf to be fully effective. However, if it gets a DD in it'll be hard to kill it.

Easily Haxorus (Japanese name Ononokusu) which many feared because of its base 147 Attack but its middling speed really hampers its effectiveness.

Ferrothorn.

It's a Forretress that is Grass and can't learn Toxic Spikes. Hidden Power Fire anyone? The vast number of Salamence, Latias, Blaziken and other Pokemon set up on this. It's a good OU Pokemon, but definitely not a game changing stall master.

^agreed.

safariblade said:
In addition to what I already said, I believe the usage of Nattorei will go down. Its a new, fun Poke to use, but eventually, the tiers will mature and counters will be found and used. Nattorei will slowly lose attention like the Lati@s did in gen4. And thats not to say its not a good Pokemon. Its just overplayed.

Overhyped? Haxorus, as Pride said, was overhyped immensely. Hydreigon was a trend I'm glad to see people have mostly gotten over. Chandlure was also mega-hyped. To the point where people wanted to ban it before the game even came out. Yeah, no.
Ferrothorn, IMO is not overhyped or overrated. It's just really good. Same with Landlos.

The reason people compare Ferrothorn to Forretress is because they're both commonly used as spikers. The reality is they're two completely different Pokemon who just happen to share a type, a couple moves, and a double weakness to Fire, which is irrelevant because that's what you've got five other Pokemon for.

One of the biggest things separating Ferrothorn from Forretress is his resistances. Forretress has a welcome Ice resistance, while Ferrothorn has an extremely valuable resistance to both Water and Electric, which are arguably more important resistances to have.

When you look past the fact that they can both learn Spikes and Stealth Rock, you'll find that they fulfill vastly different roles. For a purely supportive role, Forretress is superior due to access to Rapid Spin, and Toxic Spikes. He also has slightly better physical defense than Ferrothorn.

In every other aspect, Ferrothorn wins; his Attack stat is slightly higher and he's literally twice as slow as Forretress, making it easier to get 150 BP Gyro Balls. He has almost twice Forretress's Special Defense (116 vs. 60), which makes Ferrothorn better at absorbing Hydro Pump and Draco Meteor than Forretress could ever dream of due to almost identical HP stats. The fact that he takes neutral damage from Ice is almost a non-issue due to the base stat difference. With investment, making Ferrothorn shrug off Ice Beams is easy.

Unlike Forretress, who is widely seen as setup bait, Ferrothorn can put pressure on the opponent with access to Curse, Leech Seed, Thunder Wave, Worry Seed, Swords Dance, and Power Whip, which is very important because it gives Ferrothorn an alternate and powerful STAB option.

If you put Ferrothorn on your team, play to his strengths. He can function as a spiker, but only if your team needs his valuable resistances. People use him the same way they would Forretress only to find that - surprise - he sucks. Ferrothorn actually gets set up on by Forretress because Forretress can spin away anything Ferrothorn throws at him while resisting both of Ferrothorn's STABs (Grass 2x), which should go to show you who is king of pure support.

In a nutshell, use Forretress for defensive support and use Ferrothorn for offensive support.

I'll agree with Pride in saying that Haxorus was by far the most overrated Pokemon of gen 5.

Onononononononononokusu/Haxorus. Oh boy! 147 Attack! Pure Dragon type! Best Pokemon ever! Totally broken!

...base 90 Defense? That's workable...wait, 76 HP? 70 Special Defense? 97 Speed?! What the hell, Game Freak?

Also agreeing with Chandelure. It's a great Scarfer, but even in Dream World (where it has Shadow Tag) it's just revenge killed too easily to be broken.

You're missing the "why was it hyped so much" part of the question. No one else even mentioned Scizor, so how about you give your reasons for the way you think?

Oh, alright. Well, with the release of pokemon platinum Scizor gained the attack "Bullet punch" Now, Scizor was already a highly used pokemon, but after it GAINED this attack it then got boosted in usage and earned a place on almost EVERY players team in competitive play.

Sounds like you don't know what overrated means.

@animation, you are aware that this is about the fifth generation?
PDC said:
You STILL know the drill
Do I detect a Rhyperior reference?
Haxorus for sure. Chandlure was also overrated, but not as much. I'd like to add another to the list, Serperior/Jaroda.

Braviary (Wargle) was highly anticipated prior to release, unfortunately once its stats and movepool came out it quickly fell out of favor.

Other than that Chandelure was definitely overrated, it's still usable, but nowhere near as bad as originally thought. To be honest though, I don't recall Haxorus getting that hyped, but that doesn't change the fact it really doesn't play well.

Haxorus. I even thought it was overhyped, but now that I looked at it and really played Gen 5, it's pretty suckish. If it had 100 Base Speed this thing would be a huge competitor. The 3 points really affects it. Especially with the faster Pokemon this generation. Theres also Shandera. It's good in DW, but the SR weakness and milding defenses means it dies quite fast and withh usually get 1 kill before being destroyed.

Wargle wasn't really overhyped. I didn't see much hype, it's basic typing is pretty bad, that SR weakness and typically weak movepool is a huge affect in it's effectiveness.

Swords Dance Haxorus sweeps can be really funny if you pull them off. You really just need Paralysis spam and something to take out Flygon, Nattorei, and Doryuuzu. BUt Haxorus was still overhyped.

Serperior was waaaaaay hyped once people found out it got Perversity. In the first few weeks of playing on PO, it was EVERYWHERE. It's really not even that good, getting walled by Heatran and not being a huge fan of Priority in any form. Nowadays, it can wreck a team not prepared for it, but IMO it's still not that good.

Back