Competitive Discussion Of The Week 4

PDC

The PDC Show comes to an abrupt end...
Very short intro... anyway.....

What is your "problem pokemon" this generation?

Well, I have serveral on the list.

As said by HoS, Breloom is problumatic, hitting the first Pokemon with Spore, Subbing up on the switch, and hitting super hard with either Focus Punch or Bullet Seed. Gliscor, Zapdos, and Skarmory can counter it decently as long as they don't eat a Spore. You must have a decent counter to Breloom on your team in todays metagame, no questions.

Serperior (Jalorda) is also problumatic. Through the fads such as Haxorus (Ononokusu) and Chandelure (Shandera), Serperior has remained throughout as a strong offensive prescence in Gen. 5 Metagame. If you let Serperior get to +4, you had better watch out. Probably the best counter is Heatran, resisting both Leaf Storm and HP Fire, but he's the only reliable counter I've found so far. Even Blissey shakes in her booties at +6 Leaf Storms.

Finally, Excadrill (Doryuuzu) is still the huge offensive prescence we speculated before Black and White were released. If he gets a SD up, you can pretty much surrender. The only reliable counters to Excadrill are Skarmory and Gliscor.

Problum -> Problem unless it's supposed to be humor xD
There is one main problem Pokemon. Ditto. So I'm busy getting my Salamence or Zuruzukin up to +3 or so and ready to sweep out a team, when a Choice Scarf Ditto comes in and owns me, then starts denting my team all over the place. Now I have to start getting counters for my own Pokemon! Anyways, I don't play on the PO servers so I don't know what's going on there as much.

Problum -> Problem unless it's supposed to be humor xD

That's how PDC normally spells 'problem'. ._.

Blaziken deserves a mention in this thread. Once it gets a Swords Dance and three speed boosts in, it'll be hard to revenge kill it unless you got a good priority user. It is also hard to switch into Blaziken, as even the MixKen set can rack up damage.

I haven't had many problems with Blaziken, actually. I don't see it used a lot. I'm seeing a problem with Nattorei, it is getting way too much usage as a lead, as effective as it is. Spamming Dragons isn't going to help either. I'm also seeing a lot of stall, and when a say a lot, I mean a lot. Those category Pokemon will be a problum as well.

Tyranitar, hippowdon, blissey, gliscor, shandelure, blaziken, and every darn steel in OU give me massive headaches. My teams never seem to be able to stop them.

Ditto is my main problem. I really don't think its DW ability should be OU because it copies stat boosts and on top of that could hold Choice Scarf making it always have first strike against your own Pokemon. It can make it so you go from being able to sweep the rest of a person's team to losing all because of its ability.

Okay, I played PO on the Smogon DW tier for the first time and again, Ditto is the main problem. My rain dance team is pretty awesome but a bit weak to Speed Boost Blaziken (IKR). Ditto just wipes out my +3, +3 Kingdra or my +6 Manaphy with one move, then proceeds to sweep my team. It's pretty annoying that all my work to get stats is eliminated by them switching in.

Latias, Latios, Ditto, or Nattorei, although Nattorei isn't much of a problem now due to changes, the Lati@s have been giving me some trouble too but as before mentioned to Nattorei, they aren't too much of a problem now. Ditto, on the other hand, gives me some hell due to it copying usually my sweeper's movesets .-.

(p.s. 500th post :D)

Breloom (sleep is toats broken in this Gen, haha), Gliscor (IDK, every team I make just gets walled by these dumb Poison-Heal Fling Gliscors), and Nattorei (break... please... break!).

Due to banning of Shandera in the original Pokemon Online server Nattorei and Skarmory is running havoc. However, if people are searching for a counter for Doryuzuu the complete answer can't be Skarmory. Skarmory requires team support to go on with Doryuuzu. Let Dory get 2 Sword Dances up and Rock Slides does a crap of a lot to a 416 Defense Skarmory. Phazing with Skarmory is the way you can win with Dory but on a 1 on 1 situation Skarmory becomes hopeless (unless it gets 2 criticals or some major hax with Brave Bird)

2 of the best counters for Doryuzuu is probably Techloom and Acrofling Gliscor. All though Knock Off Gliscor works subsequently well. However, after rocks damage Breloom with 252 Atk / 252 Speed with Jolly nature only has a 6% chance for the OHKO. So, Adamant nature is a must if you're putting in Breloom specially as a Dory counter.
However, no words to be said but Gliscor is the best Dory counter in the entire game. No problems on how it works unless you are using a Baton Pass Gliscor with only Earthquake as it's attacking move and Dory comes in with a balloon. Still Gliscor is still the pro. (It's not like Doryuzuu runs HP Ice.)

I've also encountered many people running Landlos as the alternative Gliscor. It hits harder but more frail than Gliscor. Also, having the ability of Sand Power which makes it's Earthquakes and Earth Powers extremely powerful along with STAB. Earlier they used to run the Sword Dance with Substitute but nowadays mostly scarfed Landlos either attacking with Earthquake, U-Turn, Stone Edge and HP ICE (Physical Version) or Earth Power, HP ICE, Psychic, U-turn/Stone Edge (Special Version) are the most prominent.

Also, yes. Blaziken IS a worthy mention. Let alone dangerous with 1 Sword Dance, it gets Speed Boost and Baton Pass too. While formidable after 1 Sword Dance on it's own with Flare Blitz and High Jump Kick it's passing ability is the most dangerous of all due to the various receivers that could receive the Speed and Attack boost. Normally the most common receivers are Gyarados, Garchomp, Genosekuto and others. Still the ways to counter this one is probably Slowbro or a maybe another bulky water like Suicune with Roar. Or else another Burugenru that can switch in on a HJK and force Blaze to lose 50% of it's HP then if it's not dead and wants to pass you could try to follow up with a WoW to cripple whatever thing is coming on.

Baton Pass Blaze is illegal with Speed Boost, as all DW Torchic have been male thus far and do not come with BP.

A fun Doryuuzu counter is Hitmontop. It has to be Life Orb'd, but if I recall correctly, an Adamant 252 ATK Technician Hitmontop kills Doryuuzu with a combination of Fake Out and Mach Punch after Stealth Rocks. You can't use Leftovers, or you'll miss the KO. Well, I guess you could use Lefties if you also run SPikes somewhere on your team. It's kinda just a revenger, but still.

Another problem for me: Kingdra. IDK why, but it gets me every time, Rain or not.

I HATE Politoed. Whenever I come in with something to kill it, Boiling Water (or whatever it is) just 2 or 3HKOs me, leaving me with a burn on the first hit also half the time.

Mine is probubly Terakion. That Pokemon has amazing coveredge and adquete defenses and amazing offensive stats. This gives it all the elements needed to break through teams. A duel set up set with Rock Polish and Swords Dance can be used to break through every place style. Rock Polish for offensive teams and Swords Dance for defensive teams. The amazing power it gets after a Swords Dance is huge. If you add Life Orb then this thing is simply a monster. If it gets a RP with it then it can tear up any team with the speed. My teams don't carry many rock resists, so I have an amazing problem with it.

Back