Competitive Discussion Of The Week 3

PDC

The PDC Show comes to an abrupt end...
Week 3. This topic is probubly going to be one of the most fun yet. This one will have many different opinions going around so it should be interesting. Anyway, thsi topic is going to be about what Pokemon you think will do best this generation. The most used Pokemon in OU. Potential and general usability in the current metagame. I want you however to split it into two subjects if you can. Defensive and offensive. Anyway, without further ado...

What do you think will be the star(s) of OU this generation?

Discuss!

Excadrill and tyrantar together is obvious. I have also seen a lot of forretress use. But there is no denying that infernape and lucario still play large rolls.

I think it's really hard to pinpoint which Pokemon will be the Stars of the metagame when we're only a few months into playing / suspect tests on smogon. At the moment, I find it really hard to pick them out either way. Obviously the most used Pokemon are Nattorei, Tyranitar, etc. In terms of which Pokemon are the best, I think those would be the sand sweepers (Doryuuzu, Landlos, Terakion), and rain sweepers like Manaphy and Kingdra. Other good pokemon that don't really use weather are those like Birijion, Scizor, and Rotom-W. Some of these are in danger of being banned, and once they do the prime mons will inevitably change.

I can't answer this question yet because the "stars" generally don't stay in OU. Pokemon like Shanderaa, Doryzuu, and Manaphy will be headed for the exit door pretty soon on Smogon so I would say consistent and lower-key good sweepers like Gyarados will be the real winners of OU.

Spr_4p_380.png

I think CM Latias(without Soul Dew) with Sub. is going be pretty sweet this generation if it stays in OU(I so hope so). I use it all the time and I love it. But like a few of you said it's gonna be hard to pinpoint the Stars as of right now.

Offense: This kinda has to go along with Defense. When you use a Sub. and CM like crazy it weakens common threats. Like Ice Beam and Shadow Ball. If your oppenent starts with Forretress to set up traps it's usualy Game rite there.It takes them a few turns to set up nicely and before you know it you have a Spec.Attc of over 1000. Very hard to counter after a setup such as that.

Defense: You can defense alot of different ways here. You can Sub. or stall out with a Dangerous Level of Spec. Def though CM.

Weakness: Physical attacks. Thats usualy why you want to set up Sub. but when you come in with a great Physical sweeper Latias could have problems.

Overall if Latias stays in OU It has lots of potensial.

Definitely Excadrill, and maybe Sazandora (Hydreiga). I've already seen Excadrill on almost every Black and White competitive team (including my own) due to its extremely good effectiveness in Sandstorms and it's combination of decent speed and outstanding attack. Sazandora is a very effective sweeper and is very similar to Salamence, which will make it popular.
I can't say much about the defensive Pokemon yet, as I haven't attempted to use any at this point.

Aside from the sandstorm candidates mentioned: Solarizard + Droughtales, Sub-seed Erufuun, Perverse Jalorda, and Reuniclus seem interesting.

Reuniclus is SO beast!! He can play SO many roles (TR,CM Sweeper,Dual Screen,Specs,ToxicStall) and he's got Magic Guard to deal with Chansey and Whimsicott. I use him in my stall team, and he is pure epicness.

Serperior is also really good, and is hard to handle if it gets to +6. Volcanora can counter it alright, resisting both HP Fire and Leaf Storm, but Serperior is amazingly powerful.

Latias is like Reuniclus, it can fill so many rolls. My favourite is the CM Roar set, but that just preference.

Yeah, Reuniclus is a terror among psychic walls >.<

They re-vamped Beat Up so it's no longer typeless and get's STAB, but I'm not sure if it'll get around screens too (since the only things that supposed to go into calculationg are base stats, STAB, and attack power boosting items)- if so then it's up to Nasty-Hound and Sub-Breaker Shiftry to keep the drought dream team alive, @_@

How about Heat Rampage Drifbloom or Unburden+ Jewel of choice = Sub-Passer?

Aren't you guys forgetting Blaziken? It's a valuable asset to any kind of team and unlike Ninjask who could only pass, Blaziken can deal damage with HJK and Flare Blitz too.

Lol, he was going to be my next point of interest (the sub-passer was the segway to it).

Great type coverage, great stats, has a lot of new team candidates to support/setup for it's entry and, ultimately, SPE passing. The best part: he can learn shadow claw / earthquake to ward off shandera!

Ultimately, he's a hell of a DW Pokémon. I would've included him in a sunny day team but he couldn't learn mach punch- always need a good priority STABer IMO.

Very useful info. I'm a little bit of a forum noob, so where could I find the list of competitive legalities? Also, could you check out my posted team- like to hear your thoughts.

Well, Smogon is where you can find legit move combos. Now it is time for me to post.

First of all I would like to say that these CDotW are really taking off.

Now onto my actual post. Rankurusu is quite amazing. Me and Pride both know this first hand. It is probubly the most overlooked Pokemon in the entire metagame. A great stall breaker and fighting type counter which teams absolutely need this generation.

Up next is Zuruzurkin. Despite him also being overlooked by more poweful Pokemon it has one quality that many Pokemon don't. Great bulk and amazing coveredge. Paired with Life Orb after a Dragon Dance it can wreck teams with amazing duel coveredge STABs. Despite it's lower attack it still packs a huge punch with it's amazing STABS. It's ability helps also with additional boosts.

Now finally, I would like to say Birijion. Amazing Pokemon. Great bulky, solid STABs, and great synergy with dozens of Pokemon in the metagame make Birijion able to be featured on all different types of teams. CM Birijion can break through stall very easily. A bulky version I used awhile ago completly destroyed rain without breaking a sweat. Birijion is one of the bets Pokemon this generation. Despite being overlooked I suspect as time goes on people will find more uses for it.

Scyther may not seem like much, but its been performing pretty well for me in OU. Its 110 Speed comes in handy for getting rid of Sazandora. It also is able to deal high damage Roobushin with Aerial Ace, though it is never able to get a OHKO if Scyther holds Evolution Stone. With 252 Atk EVs and Jolly nature, it does around 75% to a 252/0 Roobushin. Since Roobushin sometimes holds Flame Orb it can revenge it decently.

Up next is Zuruzurkin. Despite him also being overlooked by more poweful Pokemon it has one quality that many Pokemon don't. Great bulk and amazing coveredge. Paired with Life Orb after a Dragon Dance it can wreck teams with amazing duel coveredge STABs. Despite it's lower attack it still packs a huge punch with it's amazing STABS. It's ability helps also with additional boosts.
It also has access to Intimidate, which just adds an extra layer of bulk, imo. Shed Skin is also a blessing, since most sweepers hate status problems. I once ran a Bulk Up set that worked well, but that's just my two cents.

I really like Terrakion. Good offensive stats of 129 Attack/108 Speed, decent defenses of 91/90/90, and good STAB. It has access to Rock Polish and Swords Dance, plus Earthquake, Close Combat, and Stone Edge, making it a good overall physical sweeper. It also has Justice Heart, which is a good ability to abuse.

I agree with what a lot of people have said, many of the so-called "stars" have only gone through a couple of months of playtesting, so there might be some crazy counter to a lot of the new threats we wouldn't even know about. But anyways, the most appealing Pokemon appear to be Nattorei (still using Jap. names for now) and Zuruzukin. He's got great potential, but he's gotta be played right. Both of these guys will pretty much just physically stall just about anything.

Rankurusu is huge this gen, and I can't see it not being in the Top 5 most used Pokémon once people actually look at it. Otherwise, Latias and Latios will be big (unles sthey get voted uber, which wouldn't be that surprising), as will Doryuuzu (or Excadrill, or whatever you want to call it.) Each of these Pokémon have great type coverage, cool abilities, and can fit into many different kinds of teams.

Back