Competitive decks for casual playing?

Pokerocks

Aspiring Trainer
Hey guys so i was just wondering i don't go to tournaments or leagues and i just play competitive deck at home for fun like zekeels or darkrai hydriegon i know some cards are expensive but i will try to find them in packs so tell me what you think please.

Blui

lv85 paladin
RE: Decks

I'd play Hammer time. Cheapest competitive deck there is, and its really good.

9Tailz

the human embodiment of garbodor
RE: Decks

There's nothing wrong with making a competitive deck to play at home.

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
If Pokerocks is playing just for fun, why not buy a 2012 World Championship deck?

anythingbutgrass

Aspiring Trainer
There is a decklist on the modified decklist forum of a hammer time (competitive) with an umbreon DE/fliptini spin on it that would be pretty cheap and fun to play. It isn't competitive, but it's basically a league hammertime deck. Just to give you an idea, I'll post my hammertime deck list (I recommend working on it, it isn't finished):
Hammers
Pokemon:8
3 Sableye DEX (about 1 each, ebay)
3 darkrai ex (15 each by the tins, I value around 7 dollars for the promo alone each)
1 shaymin ex (around 11)
1 mewtwo ex (about 15 each if you buy the tins, I value around 7 dollars)

Trainers: 25
3 N (4.55 shipped, buy it now ebay)
3 cheren (2.99 shipped buy it now)
4 Juniper (2.95 shipped buy it now)
3 Skyla (5.85 shipped for 4 skylas)
2 Enhanced Hammer (1.00 for 2)
4 Crushing hammer (4.49 shipped)
3 Random receiver (2.79 shipped for 4)
2 Ultra ball (8.95 shipped for 4)
3 Dark patch (2.79 shipped for 4)
1 tool scrapper (1.24 shipped for 4)
2 eviolite (11.95 for 4)
3 max potion (18.95 for 4)
1 switch (0.99 for 4)
3 Pokemon catcher (54.94 for 4)

Energies:13
9 Dark (14.88 for 20)
4 Blend FGDP (2.95 for 4)

I recommend the Dark explorers theme deck.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pokemon-Dark-Explorers-Cofagrigus-RAIDERS-Theme-Deck-NEW-SEALED-IN-HAND-/350674951075?pt=Trading_Card_Games_US&hash=item51a5db1ba3
Contains:
3 sableye
at least one eviolite
More than enough darkness energies.
some dark patches (2 I think)
and dark claws (again, I'm pretty sure 2)
Some deck promos
A lot of crappy bulk cards.

And you can feel free to PM me, I have some of these cards extra.

anythingbutgrass

Aspiring Trainer
Rayeels is a fun, cheap deck too. If you're just playing at home, bouffalant (DRX) and mewtwo ex are also playable cards in that deck that aren't expensive. Did you want a fun home/casual deck to play? Your post said that you wanted a competitive deck, indicating a reasonable league/tournament deck list. If you want a deck just to play for fun but is really competitive, try getting a world championship deck. Still fun to play and a lot cheaper than building a legal format deck. I'm pretty sure that there is not a rayeels varient WC (world championship) deck though.

PumpedAaron

S Type Armor
Y'know, since you aren't playing in any modified legal tournaments, any card from any set is fair game for you, and that should make for some very entertaining combos!

What are the funnest cards I can think of? Hmm. Chaos Gym certainly ranks high up there, now there's a chaotic twist whenever you play a Trainer card!

102-chaos-gym.jpg

Erika, Mail From Bill, and Professor Oak are 3 extremely powerful draw cards in this format.

88-professor-oak.jpg

105-mail-from-bill.jpg

100-erika.jpg

Machamp SF, Uxie LA, CrobatG from PL, and Fossil Aerodactyl can create some seriously strong combos, too.

20-machamp.jpg

43-uxie.jpg

47-crobat-g.jpg

16-aerodactyl.jpg

Broken Time-Space speeds up any evolution Decks obscenely, and you could combo it with Aerodactyl to deny evolutions for your opponent's Pokemon.

104-broken-time-space.jpg

Expert Belt is one of the best Pokemon Tools in the game, so pack a couple of those.

87-expert-belt.jpg

Item Finder and Junk Arm are quick and effective ways to gain cards back from your discard pile, while Poke Drawer+ and Computer Search boost consistency a lot!

74-item-finder.jpg

71-computer-search.jpg

89-poke-drawer-+.jpg

In general, I find the Unlimited format to be a lot more fun than the Modified Legal format.

Now I know most of these cards aren't sold in easily available packs anymore, but you can still buy these and much more on Ebay, so try them out, if you'd like!