Strategy Competitive Battling Discussion of the Week - SM Edition 1

Professor Palutena

The Queen
Let's bring these back! These are weekly threads where we talk about a specific topic. If you have any topic ideas, let me know!

Week 1: Mega Evolution

While Sun and Moon seemingly removed many mega evolutions from the competitive metagame, a few still remain. What mega evolutions have you been using in the tiers you play? What are other megas you see other players use?

As an OU player, I see lots of Mega Metagross. But I also see a few Mega Pinsir, Mega Charizard X, Mega Venusaur and Mega Alakazam. That said, my favorite is Mega Sharpedo. It's an amazing cleaner, and Psychic Fangs removes a lot of its former counters like Mega Venusaur.

Scattered mind

Competitive VG Forums Mod
Forum Mod
I agree, that new toy for Sharpedo makes it insane. I also see very often Mega Scizor. At first people seemed to be afraid of using it thanks to Tapu Lele, but it is a very reliable Pokemon to have thanks to its bulk and offense. Also, Tapu Lele is the reason Mega Alakazam is such a good mon in this meta, although I don't see it very often lately.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Mega Metagross seems to be sneaking into a lot of my teams. It's pretty consistent, has a nice coverage, destroys the Tapus and seems to have really nice core typing with a number of other Pokemon I've been using, such as Manaphy, Toxapex and Landorus-T. Mega Scizor looks promising, though it hasn't really fitted in with any of the teams I've gotten around to creating.

TheRealBro..

Well, the biggest change since X&Y/ORAS is Mega Kangaskhan is totally gone. Gotta love that, no? Mega Gengar is not nearly as omni present as well, although i see a few of them every now and then. They certainly shaked things up with the new threats, although I'm afraid Kanga will be back after Poke Bank opens..

Good to mention is also that Mega Salamence became even more threatening because of the immidiate speed boost (it now starts at base 120 speed even in the turn it's mega evolving). I'v already lost a few battles over that, thinking my base 110 mon would OHKO with ice beam, but getting destroyed myself instead. Also see a lot of Mega Lucario on battle spot, but in my opinion it's too frail to really be a danger, especially now that Tapu Lele exists and cancels it's priority.