Fakemon Companions - A Parody of Monster Catcher Games

Sheodon

The Orient Gamer

DESCRIPTION

Welcome to the world of Companions. In this world, your weirdest dreams will come true. You're capable of collecting... well, companions. If you haven't realized it from this game's title already. In other words: your dream to beat up a grandpa by your zombie dog become true... you weird sicko.

A game that is loosely based on classic Monster Catcher games, featuring a humorous storyline of an average kid who finds himself in trouble as soon as the journey begins. While the game is an homage to some older franchises in this genre, it has some unique twists both in the story, and especially gameplay wise.

Your mission is to visit a mysterious Tower, collect as many companions as possible, while also complete the Tower's ten floors. It won't be that easy, as the floors are frequently changing as soon as you leave or re-enter, and the difficulty between the different stages is perceptible.

Are you ready?

GAME FEATURES

• A story that is both a homage and a parody of the monster catcher/capture genre, and series like Dragon Quest & Pokémon.
  • Rougelike elements. For example, the main goal of the game is to beat a dungeon (a tower). However, the tower randomises each time you (re-)enter.
  • The tower's featuring 10 completely different floors. Some of them are even puzzle levels, and a few of them has death traps.
  • Recruit as many Companions as you can. Each of them has a unique ability, and the more you catched, the better chances you have in beating the game.
  • The game's rewarding both "slowly, but surely" and "high risk, high reward" playstyles.
  • Lots of hidden content and unlockables.
  • Frequent updates and additional content after the game's release.
  • Interactivity, not only in the game, but between the players and developers. We do our best to implement features you want to see.
  • And more...

DOWNLOAD LINK

CLICK on the sprite to start the download.

Or simply just click HERE.

SCREENSHOTS

Game_2015_06_06_22_57_42_81.jpg

Game_2015_06_06_22_58_01_19.jpg

Game_2015_06_06_22_58_38_59.jpg

Game_2015_06_06_22_58_50_28.jpg

Game_2015_06_06_22_59_48_71.jpg

CREDITS

Directed, Produced, and Written by Benjamin Kuli

Supervised by Greg Forte

A Video Game made by Blue Flame Candle. All Rights Reserved.

Enterbrain - RMVXA Engine

"Yanfly" - Core, Value, Battle and Party Scripts

Cidiomar R. Dias Jr. - Input

"Tsukihime" - Custom Database, Input Maintenance

"Craze" - Element Mash

Jason (from RPGMakerWeb.com) - Old School Modern Pack

Last edited:
Here's the soundtrack of the game. While I'm actually satisfied with the results, I'm planning expanding it during the next update, maybe even re-doing some of the tracks if it is requested.

Here's the trailer of the game, which is suggesting more about the atmosphere rather than the gameplay itself. Have fun!

Based on the screenshots and the trailer itself, I'm finding the overall style of the game pretty interesting. Quite fond of the Companions concept art and how they follow you about (reminds me of good ol' HG/SS).

I'm also curious in knowing the program you're using for this? If I was to guess, it would probably be RPG Maker XP. And how long did it take you to work the battle system out?

Based on the screenshots and the trailer itself, I'm finding the overall style of the game pretty interesting. Quite fond of the Companions concept art and how they follow you about (reminds me of good ol' HG/SS).

I'm also curious in knowing the program you're using for this? If I was to guess, it would probably be RPG Maker XP. And how long did it take you to work the battle system out?

Thank you so much, I'm really glad you like it. The game was made in RPG Maker VX Ace, however, it has some features that cannot be found in the default engine, like custom database. The whole game was made only in 2 months, but the idea of the battle system was way before in my head. Originally, it was designed for a "Pokémon reboot" thing, but I decided to use it for my very own project instead. This kind of system actually works really fine, and even thought it sounds limited, it actually is really balanced and works perfectly fine even for competitive purposes.

(For those who don't know how it works: Each creature has 2 different type of "elements". One if the "material", which has 4 variations: Physical, Mental, Shadow and Light; while there are the "Ancient Elements", which has 3 types: Vata, Pitha, Kapha. Without spoiling how it works, the ancient elements actually has a rock-paper-scissors scheme, while the materials are "mirroring" each other.)

I decided to re-do the whole soundtrack, as music is important for me in game making. Thus, I remade the main theme, but not in one, but two variations. The first is the good old 8-bit style, while the second one is "new school" stuff with orchestral elements, similar to new Nintendo stuff.

Feel free to tell me which one do you prefer, and which one do you want to see in the game. If both of them are preferred, I may include an option to choose which soundtrack will be played during the game (that you can obviously switch during the game too).

https://soundcloud.com/benjamin-kuli/companions-theme-redux-two-versions

I try to incorporate the song mentally to the graphics of the game. Considering that, I would probably have to say the first variation would work the best. The option of including both would seem beneficial as some may want to switch things up in the game and listen to a more modern version.

I try to incorporate the song mentally to the graphics of the game. Considering that, I would probably have to say the first variation would work the best. The option of including both would seem beneficial as some may want to switch things up in the game and listen to a more modern version.

Indeed. If I had to choose only one, the first one would fit the whole theme of the game more, especially since it is an homage to classic games, and not recent ones. It also works better with the graphic style of the whole project. However, I think the best option should be including both styles instead of just one, so anyone could choose the style they prefer. Coding it could be tricky, but I think it would be the best choice for the whole project.

(I also hope that the "redux" of the chiptune theme is more... fluent this time.)

Indeed. If I had to choose only one, the first one would fit the whole theme of the game more, especially since it is an homage to classic games, and not recent ones. It also works better with the graphic style of the whole project. However, I think the best option should be including both styles instead of just one, so anyone could choose the style they prefer. Coding it could be tricky, but I think it would be the best choice for the whole project.

(I also hope that the "redux" of the chiptune theme is more... fluent this time.)

Let's see you do successfully code it in, would that feature be present within the options menu? Would they also be able to mix and match different tunes? For instance, say you want the bit version for one of the areas, but want to have the modern tune for another area, would that be a possibility? Or would the menu just update with the area's current music and the user can toggle between the bit and "new school?"

Let's see you do successfully code it in, would that feature be present within the options menu? Would they also be able to mix and match different tunes? For instance, say you want the bit version for one of the areas, but want to have the modern tune for another area, would that be a possibility? Or would the menu just update with the area's current music and the user can toggle between the bit and "new school?"

According to my plan, the whole thing would depend on a switch. In this case, you could modify it in the game's menu under the option "MUSIC". You could select either "Old School" or "Modern" style. As soon as it is modified, the game'd check which one is determined and would change the soundtrack to the selected one. For example, I'm in the main town, and I decide to go for "modern" town music, then it changes to the "modern OST". However, if I prefer the tower's music "old school", I just go back to the options, change it to "old school", and the soundtrack is now back to 8-bit music. I also plan to add this feature even before the game starts, so the player could decide which soundtrack they prefer even before the main menu.

I hope it isn't so tedious or complicated. :)

Back