Community Works Update

CMP

Now with 400% more Neo!
Hey everyone! During the holidays, you may have noticed things slowed down a little...don't worry, though, things are now back in full swing!

----
Contest Winners
----

In Lilycove, forum member [member]Ophie[/member] deserves a congratulations on winning Chillarmy's POtW Article Art Contest, in which members were asked to complete a drawing of Rotom (Wash Form)! Ophie's winning submission can be found below.
rotomw1.png

Let's also congratulate [member]Shampoo Thief[/member] and [member]X-5[/member] on winning Art of the Week #8! The theme for that round was collaborations, and these two members perfectly captured what I was looking for -- an art piece that blended the unique skills of two separate artists. Nice job, guys! Their work can be found below...
31826464.png

In the Writer's Corner, after coming off a win in the ninth round, forum moderator [mod]Apollo the Incinermyn[/mod] continued his streak, winning the tenth round of the Haiku & Short-Poem Contest. Congratulations, Apollo! His piece "Gratefulness" captures wonderful feelings of the holiday season. It can be found below.

My thanks be to God,
for good friends and loving family,
with whom I share this holy day.​

A congratulations is also in order for forum member [member]The Fallen One[/member], who has won the eleventh round of the Haiku & Short-Poem Contest! With a New Years theme, The Fallen One won with the following haiku:
Horizons
The horizon breaks,
A new and glorious dawn.
The new age begins.

Also deserving of a congratulations is [member]Unique Username[/member] for completing the winning continuation of the Round Robin Story Contest! The piece of the story she has written can be found below:
The creature continued to perch on the roof, its jaundiced claws easily sinking into the soft cedar wood. Its macabre shadow pervaded the lustrous arc of the moon, the pearl sphere fractured by a phalanx of scabrous scales and notched barbs. The tips of its obsidian quills blended seamlessly against the twilight sky, its silhouette perfectly camouflaged amidst the midnight tapestry. The creature languidly flexed its sable barbs, the angular spikes mimicking withered autumn leaves as a brisk wind caressed its spine. It luxuriated in the splendour of its restitution, ascending its calculating glare beyond the pristine fields of golden wheat.

The merciless predator vigilantly surveyed its domain, its crimson scowl piqued by a city fabricated within the sanctum of a slumbering mountainside. Its silhouette harboured a soft glow, the craggy contours embellished by golden flakes of light. The creature cackled malevolently, slowly prying apart its curtailed jaws. 'What a perfect night for a moonlit slaughter...' it voicelessly purred, delighted by its promising discovery. Insatiable hunger ravaged its stomach with an instinctual urge to devour sweet, succulent flesh. The beast smiled maliciously, hungrily tracing its mauve tongue over its broken fangs. It crouched low on its haunches, adjusting its spines as it feverishly thrummed its talons upon its wooden roost. It precariously balanced on the truss, glimpsing upon the fertile earth as it prepared to conquer the six metre plunge.

A serpentine chain suddenly lashed beyond the midnight veil, swiftly ensnaring the beast by its curved neck. A brusque jerk yanked the creature backwards, its throat constricted by steel vertebrae. The beast released a gurgling snarl, its claws clumsily sliding upon the shingled roof. It hastily glimpsed toward a weather vane, snatching the oxidized ornament with its tail and utilizing its fury to snap the metal shaft. It hurled the compass directly into the void, the device crashing inside a mysterious black mist and vanishing beyond existence. The chain was abruptly abandoned by its wielder, collapsing into a lifeless coiled braid. The demon slowly regained its balance, narrowing its carmine eyes as it glowered into a hollow oblivion. 'There's no one else here...?!'

A crooked blade plunged betwixt its onyx scales, an aquiline thorn protruding out of its chest. The creature relinquished a guttural roar, black blood oozing down its scaly chest like viscous oil. It viciously whirled around and smashed its barbed tail against the vindictive assailant, the unknown entity dissolving into charcoal smoke. Inertia drove its tail into the roof, its jagged prongs embedding into shingles, tar and wood. The beast growled in frustration, wresting its barbs out of the debris. It tenderly clutched its wound as searing anguish gnawed at its vulnerable flesh, billows of painful heat seizing its muscles. Whoever this adversary was, they liked to strike hard – and fast.

A tenebrous mist slithered past its feet, gossamer tendrils licking its ankles like a nightmarish flame. The demon shivered violently, the ghostly vapour like the embodiment of winter. 'A ghost...?' it silently mused, watching the obsidian cloud accumulate. The creature gingerly sniffed a fibril of drifting mist, recognizing its pungent scent. It reeked of death and decay, a copper musk clinging to every particle. 'A vampire...' The beast nervously clacked it talons together, feigning intimidation as it watched the swirling nebula. Ethereal fronds solidified into various appendages, a man emerging beyond the smouldering crests. His pale complexion was accentuated by the moonlight, his sable tresses kissing his statuesque shoulders. His scarlet irises harboured a stoic expression, although his arrogant smirk and glinting fangs betrayed his austerity.

“Who are you...?” The demon inquired with a scrupulous hiss.

“Ivan Faust.” The vampire callously fished out his gun, cocking the hammer with an ominous click. “Your executioner.”

“You cannot win, bloodsucker.” The creature growled, its spines erecting in ire.

“Oh, I beg to differ.” Ivan retorted, tracing a fingertip along his pistol. “Three-hundred years ago, your gluttonous escapade nearly exterminated my species. You greedily devoured everything in your path, and left nothing – not even a single drop of blood. My sire warned me of your untimely awakening. If you are not stopped, you will bring a second famine upon us. You cannot slaughter the townsfolk as you please!”

“Watch me.” The demon defiantly snarled, its malignant tone dripping with a venomous hiss. Without warning, it swiftly slithered down the building and vanished inside a labyrinth of saffron grass. Ivan vehemently leered at the abhorrent reptile, reluctantly storing his weapon inside its leather holster. 'I don't need a gun to take care of you...' Ivan sneered, glimpsing to a rosewood fence post skirting the property entrance. The vampire effortlessly leapt onto the picket, stepping down with reserved elegance and kneeling to the ground. Ivan gently pressed his hand upon the earth, summoning a force unbeknownst to the living. An arcane swarm fervently squirmed within the soil, minuscule scratches trembling beneath his fingertips. Ivan grinned triumphantly, a glistening fang curling over his lip.

“The hunter has now become the hunted...”

Congratulations everyone!

----
Art Contests
----

Art of the Weekhttp://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-it-s-back-art-of-the-week-9 is back and now in its ninth round! As the last round was themed, this round will not be -- any piece of art is accepted as long as it isn't Pokémon-related! Let's see what you can do...entries are due on Wednesday, January 18, and should be PM'd to [smod]CMP[/smod] with the title "AotW #9."

Also returning this week is Fan Art of the Weekhttp://www.pokebeach.com/forums/thread-pokémon-fan-art-of-the-week-2. All Pokémon-related entries should be submitted to this contest. Like AotW, the last round was themed, so this round will be open to any Pokémon-related artwork! This round will end on Wednesday, January 18. Please PM your entries to [smod]CMP[/smod] with the title "FAotW #2."

----
Writing Contests
----

Sign-ups for the twelfth round of the Haiku & Short-Poem Contest begin today. The number of submissions caps at 20, so be sure to sign-up early! Submissions are due by Wednesday, January 25 (around noon central time). There is no theme for this round -- it's writer's choice!

The third round of the Round-Robin Contest is continuing sign-ups, and registration is about half full! To compete, participants are to write passages between 500 to 1,000 words in length that continue the storyline established by the winning piece from the last round (see Unique Username's winning passage above). Check out the thread for the full story so far! The deadline to submit an entry is Wednesday, January 25, so be sure to sign-up and submit your work before then.

Good luck to all participants of the current competitions, and congratulations once again to all of the winners!

@CMP – Please correct the winning excerpt for the [Round Robin Story Contest]. The first-place entry was #2, described below:

The creature continued to perch on the roof, its jaundiced claws easily sinking into the soft cedar wood. Its macabre shadow pervaded the lustrous arc of the moon, the pearl sphere fractured by a phalanx of scabrous scales and notched barbs. The tips of its obsidian quills blended seamlessly against the twilight sky, its silhouette perfectly camouflaged amidst the midnight tapestry. The creature languidly flexed its sable barbs, the angular spikes mimicking withered autumn leaves as a brisk wind caressed its spine. It luxuriated in the splendour of its restitution, ascending its calculating glare beyond the pristine fields of golden wheat.

The merciless predator vigilantly surveyed its domain, its crimson scowl piqued by a city fabricated within the sanctum of a slumbering mountainside. Its silhouette harboured a soft glow, the craggy contours embellished by golden flakes of light. The creature cackled malevolently, slowly prying apart its curtailed jaws. 'What a perfect night for a moonlit slaughter...' it voicelessly purred, delighted by its promising discovery. Insatiable hunger ravaged its stomach with an instinctual urge to devour sweet, succulent flesh. The beast smiled maliciously, hungrily tracing its mauve tongue over its broken fangs. It crouched low on its haunches, adjusting its spines as it feverishly thrummed its talons upon its wooden roost. It precariously balanced on the truss, glimpsing upon the fertile earth as it prepared to conquer the six metre plunge.

A serpentine chain suddenly lashed beyond the midnight veil, swiftly ensnaring the beast by its curved neck. A brusque jerk yanked the creature backwards, its throat constricted by steel vertebrae. The beast released a gurgling snarl, its claws clumsily sliding upon the shingled roof. It hastily glimpsed toward a weather vane, snatching the oxidized ornament with its tail and utilizing its fury to snap the metal shaft. It hurled the compass directly into the void, the device crashing inside a mysterious black mist and vanishing beyond existence. The chain was abruptly abandoned by its wielder, collapsing into a lifeless coiled braid. The demon slowly regained its balance, narrowing its carmine eyes as it glowered into a hollow oblivion. 'There's no one else here...?!'

A crooked blade plunged betwixt its onyx scales, an aquiline thorn protruding out of its chest. The creature relinquished a guttural roar, black blood oozing down its scaly chest like viscous oil. It viciously whirled around and smashed its barbed tail against the vindictive assailant, the unknown entity dissolving into charcoal smoke. Inertia drove its tail into the roof, its jagged prongs embedding into shingles, tar and wood. The beast growled in frustration, wresting its barbs out of the debris. It tenderly clutched its wound as searing anguish gnawed at its vulnerable flesh, billows of painful heat seizing its muscles. Whoever this adversary was, they liked to strike hard – and fast.

A tenebrous mist slithered past its feet, gossamer tendrils licking its ankles like a nightmarish flame. The demon shivered violently, the ghostly vapour like the embodiment of winter. 'A ghost...?' it silently mused, watching the obsidian cloud accumulate. The creature gingerly sniffed a fibril of drifting mist, recognizing its pungent scent. It reeked of death and decay, a copper musk clinging to every particle. 'A vampire...' The beast nervously clacked it talons together, feigning intimidation as it watched the swirling nebula. Ethereal fronds solidified into various appendages, a man emerging beyond the smouldering crests. His pale complexion was accentuated by the moonlight, his sable tresses kissing his statuesque shoulders. His scarlet irises harboured a stoic expression, although his arrogant smirk and glinting fangs betrayed his austerity.

“Who are you...?” The demon inquired with a scrupulous hiss.

“Ivan Faust.” The vampire callously fished out his gun, cocking the hammer with an ominous click. “Your executioner.”

“You cannot win, bloodsucker.” The creature growled, its spines erecting in ire.

“Oh, I beg to differ.” Ivan retorted, tracing a fingertip along his pistol. “Three-hundred years ago, your gluttonous escapade nearly exterminated my species. You greedily devoured everything in your path, and left nothing – not even a single drop of blood. My sire warned me of your untimely awakening. If you are not stopped, you will bring a second famine upon us. You cannot slaughter the townsfolk as you please!”

“Watch me.” The demon defiantly snarled, its malignant tone dripping with a venomous hiss. Without warning, it swiftly slithered down the building and vanished inside a labyrinth of saffron grass. Ivan vehemently leered at the abhorrent reptile, reluctantly storing his weapon inside its leather holster. 'I don't need a gun to take care of you...' Ivan sneered, glimpsing to a rosewood fence post skirting the property entrance. The vampire effortlessly leapt onto the picket, stepping down with reserved elegance and kneeling to the ground. Ivan gently pressed his hand upon the earth, summoning a force unbeknownst to the living. An arcane swarm fervently squirmed within the soil, minuscule scratches trembling beneath his fingertips. Ivan grinned triumphantly, a glistening fang curling over his lip.

“The hunter has now become the hunted...”

Thank you :)

Uh? That's my entry, not UU's. :p

Congrats to all winners! And- wait, did you say the twelfth round of the Haiku contest will be starting today? Count me in!
/me rushes off to sign up.

Oh, boy... I think he misinterpreted my anonymous numbering of the entries as the places they came in. Sorry, CMP, but UU's was entry 2.

My apologies, UU -- I simply looked at Apollo's first post and saw your name was listed first. Corrected! =)

Back