College Football Discussion

omahanime

Come and visit me.
Elite Member
Advanced Member
OMG!

Auburn defeats Alabama

I was questioning Saban's decision to go for the win instead of overtime. It looked like a good call by him for a couple of seconds, but 109 yard missed field goal return should cause discontent.

Ohio State wins by 1

It is not good for a 11-0 team to win by 1 to a 7-4 team, even if it is your arch rival.

OSU IS IN THE NCG!!!!!

But Bama really blew that game. Four missed field goals, failing a fourth down instead of taking a field goal on the Auburn 13, and that ridiculous 60-something yard attempt all composed the reason for an Auburn 'W'.

Jay said:
OSU IS IN THE NCG!!!!!

Not necessarily.

Will the 1 point win affect their ranking?
They still have to beat Michigan State in the Big Ten Championship.

I'm an optimistic Buckeye :p

But yes, ichigan State won't be a pushover.

I will be very very upset if Auburn jumps us.

Pick the winners

ACC Championship
Florida State vs Duke

Big Ten Championship
Ohio State vs Michigan State

SEC Championship
Auburn vs Missouri

Pac-12 Championship
Stanford vs Arizona State

I'm still questioning if it was a good decision by Michigan to go for two rather than the easy kick to send it to OT. I doubt they would have been able to stop Ohio's rushing attack in OT, but they would have momentum and the home crowd on their side. Overall I think the risk of trying to win in OT is just about the same as completing that two-point conversion.

You have to respect Brady Hoke for going for it even if he had to question his players first lmao.

I'm so glad someone made this thread, omahanime...yet another reason you're my favorite!

I don't think anyone would argue that yesterday was a prime example of why college football is such an amazing sport. There were some absolutely wonderful (albeit crazy) games played, and even crazier end-game play calls. And of course, I happen to be both an Ohio State and (surprisingly) an Alabama fan. Between The Game and the Iron Bowl, I'm pretty sure I gained more than a fair share of gray hairs...

I'm also pretty sure I was one of the few Buckeyes wishing the Tide would roll...but alas, it wasn't meant to be. There were just so many ways Alabama dropped the ball, and to be honest, Auburn deserved the win. I definitely wouldn't want to be Cade Foster right now. Those earlier missed field goals were nasty!

There was some interesting play calling at the end of both games, and it seemed to backfire in both cases. I was happy about one, bummed about another, but 1 of 2 ain't bad, I guess...especially since it was really in OSU's best interest for Auburn to win (and I'm more of an Ohio State fan anyway). We'll see how the Buckeyes handle the Spartans next week in the B1G championship, but like Jay, I'm an optimistic Buckeye!

omahanime said:
Pick the winners

ACC Championship
Florida State vs Duke

Big Ten Championship

SEC Championship
Auburn vs Missouri

Pac-12 Championship

Florida State (I would love to see Duke win though :p)
Michigan State #Upset Alert
Mizzou
Stanford

BCS Championship Prediction Florida State 27 Mizzou 17

omahanime said:
Pick the winners

ACC Championship
Florida State vs Duke

Big Ten Championship

SEC Championship
Auburn vs Missouri

Pac-12 Championship

#1 Florida State 49, #24 Duke 17
#2 Ohio State 31, #11 Michigan State 34 F/OT
#3/4 Auburn 20, #4/5 Missouri 10
#8 Stanford 35, #12 Arizona State 21

And about 'Bama, it's like they never even covered one of these kind of returns Auburn sprung on them. Half the players just stood there, staring at the kick; not doing anything. Not to mention bad tackling angles (only two had an attempt to tackle, and one of them simply gave a little 'lovetap' and tried to get a push OB).

I'm not doubting Saban's decision, but certainly I would've sent McCarron out there and had him heave it deep into the endzone.

Tails said:
omahanime said:
Pick the winners

ACC Championship
Florida State vs Duke

Big Ten Championship

SEC Championship
Auburn vs Missouri

Pac-12 Championship

#1 Florida State 49, #24 Duke 17
#2 Ohio State 31, #11 Michigan State 34 F/OT
#3/4 Auburn 20, #4/5 Missouri 10
#8 Stanford 35, #12 Arizona State 21

And about 'Bama, it's like they never even covered one of these kind of returns Auburn sprung on them. Half the players just stood there, staring at the kick; not doing anything. Not to mention bad tackling angles (only two had an attempt to tackle, and one of them simply gave a little 'lovetap' and tried to get a push OB).

I'm not doubting Saban's decision, but certainly I would've sent McCarron out there and had him heave it deep into the endzone.

But then you take the risk of McCarron throwing an interception and Auburn running it back for a touchdown. I think Nick Saban made the right call, but it just didn't work out.

Complete BCS standings

1 Florida State .9948
2 Ohio State .9503
3 Auburn .9233
4 Alabama .8539
5 Missouri .8428
6 Oklahoma State .7629
7 Stanford .7096
8 South Carolina .7037
9 Baylor .6623
10 Michigan State .6529
11 Arizona State .5833
12 Oregon .5321
13 Clemson .5201
14 Northern Illinois .4812
15 LSU .4213

omahanime said:
Pick the winners

ACC Championship
Florida State vs Duke

Big Ten Championship

SEC Championship
Auburn vs Missouri

Pac-12 Championship

Florida State
Michigan State
Auburn
Arizona State

MountainDrew said:
But then you take the risk of McCarron throwing an interception and Auburn running it back for a touchdown. I think Nick Saban made the right call, but it just didn't work out.

But, you would've had speedier players on the field (with Bama's offense) then their special teams unit. Had Auburn picked off a possible McCarron pass, Bama would've had a better chance to snuff out the return TD via the INT then the missed FG.

There's no way you return a hail mary for a touchdown. The only reason I don't criticize Saban for the kick is that his kicker was apparently consistently making 60-yard field goals in practice.

Florida State 45 - Duke 7
Stanford 38 - Arizona State 14
Michigan State 34 - Ohio State 24

I can live with Ohio loosing knowing that Duke got squashed. :)

New Mexico
Washington State vs. Colorado State

Las Vegas
Fresno State vs. USC

Famous Idaho Potato
Buffalo vs. San Diego State

New Orleans
Tulane vs. Louisiana-Lafayette

Beef 'O' Brady's
East Carolina vs. Ohio

Hawaii
Boise State vs. Oregon State