Collecting; how do I start, and what's worth collecting?

Puckstopper20

Aspiring Trainer
Recently, I've been wanting to get into collecting, specifically older sets. I've always been more of a player and haven't had interest in collecting until now. The questions I have are pretty much the ones I have on the title so..

How do I start?

By this, I'm trying to say that I have little to none of the older cards, mostly BW-on since I came back to play last season while it was still HGSS-On. I know a few of the traders here use newer cards to trade for the older ones, but that's about it.

What's worth collecting?

Simply, is it worth collecting the unlimited set? Or do you get a better sense of accomplishment when you collect a 1st edition set? Personally, I'd take the "go hard or go home" approach and set out to collect the first edition cards.

What I've noticed is that some cards such as 1st edition commons/uncommons aren't as pricey as you would think! I've seen some as low as $0.39 on Troll and Toad, and it makes me wonder if it's really worth it at all..

The first set I'd like to take on would probably be the Team Rocket set!

Any input or guidance is appreciated!

Here's my advice as a collector:

When it comes to older sets, I don't even bother with Unlimited (except for the original Base set). The 1st edition cards are much more highly sought after and as you said, give a much greater sense of accomplishment. Although you can get some of the Commons and Uncommons for only $0.25 from online retailers, I would stay away from that. Most of the time, the cards are below NM condition due to their age. I always avoid TnT when I'm buying cards from my collection because they have a very broad definition of the term NM.

This is also preference, but when I start collecting a new set, I will typically buy a few booster packs to start me off. This is a great way to get all the C/UC in Mint condition. It's a bit more expensive than buying a C/UC set on eBay, but you're guaranteed to get them in pack-fresh Mint condition and then you also get a few of the Rares/Holos you need from the set. Occasionally, it may be worth buying a booster box. I would only recommend this if you can get one at a great price and if you know you will at least break even with the pulls. For example, I bought a Legendary Collection box for around $240 last year. I pulled about $300 in cards (since the RHs are so much and I got multiple Charizards), so it was well worth it. Not to mention those cards are nigh impossible to find in brand-new condition.

The original sets are a lot of fun to try and complete so I hope you enjoy it!

Depending on the type of person you are, the first step might be to have a goal in mind. You do not want the goal too big that it makes you discouraged and give up. Nor too small that you do not enjoy the the hunt. (part of the fun to me is the hunt) And remember you can always expand your goal if you get to that point. Contrary to rumor, I did not start out to collect every card in every language.

Puckstopper20 said:
I know a few of the traders here use newer cards to trade for the older ones, but that's about it.

That can be a good option. I have lots of non-inventory cards, but my inventory starts at Arceus and goes up. I am willing to trade older doubles in any language for my current needs. So you get a near set for some of your extras. Makes hole filling easy.

Puckstopper20 said:
Simply, is it worth collecting the unlimited set? Or do you get a better sense of accomplishment when you collect a 1st edition set? Personally, I'd take the "go hard or go home" approach and set out to collect the first edition cards.

The 1st edition cards are aimed at the collector I believe, but the unlimited is easier to find. As for the starting point, are you better starting on old and moving current, or current and getting older? That is a coin toss.

It all goes down to the amount of cash you can dedicate for collection Pokémon. Sadly the 1st edition cards are becoming more collectible then ever now that Pokémon has grown in popularity. I would recommend that you set boundaries as to what sets you are actually interested in and focus on that. This ensures that you don't go overboard with your purchases. Keep a keen lookout for the pricing too. Make sure you're getting a deal out of it.

chrisaquilina said:
It all goes down to the amount of cash you can dedicate for collection Pokémon. Sadly the 1st edition cards are becoming more collectible then ever now that Pokémon has grown in popularity. I would recommend that you set boundaries as to what sets you are actually interested in and focus on that. This ensures that you don't go overboard with your purchases. Keep a keen lookout for the pricing too. Make sure you're getting a deal out of it.

To add: make sure not to go out "deal hunting" as well. This is when you fall victim to a price that's too good to pass up and it may not necessarily be something you can use for your collection. It's always fun finding a deal, but it's easy for a collection to fail if you don't set boundaries as [member]chrisaquilina[/member] mentioned.

Well, make sure all of your cards are in mint. I collect all commons, most people collect EX/X/Primes.
I think collection all commons/uncommons makes it fun because there EPIC to collect and theres soo many to get.

I was going to make a new thread asking your opinions about the best place to start collecting again, but I saw this thread and thought it would be better to toss my questions in here instead of making another similar thread.

As someone who has recently begun collecting again, what are some fun sets to start with?

Is it a good idea to buy a booster box to get a start on completing a set or should I stick with single packs or looking for specific cards on ebay?

I'll really appreciate your opinions.

Edit:

One more little question. Do they still release a 1st edition set for the English cards?

Mates said:
As someone who has recently begun collecting again, what are some fun sets to start with?

That depends! I recommend you take a look at the card scans on the main page of PB. That way, you can see what cards are in each set and make a decision based on that. The classic cards are fun to collect but can be difficult to find in mint condition. The e-Series cards are even more challenging to get, but the artwork looks incredible. That's just my opinion which is why I suggest checking out the scans to determine which set to start with.

Mates said:
Is it a good idea to buy a booster box to get a start on completing a set or should I stick with single packs or looking for specific cards on ebay?

Once you pick where you want to start, you need to determine whether or not its financially viable and how much you want to spend on it. Often times, the cheapest way to complete a set is to buy someone elses already complete set. To me, that takes the fun out of it. I try to buy a few booster packs to get myself started (make sure they aren't weighed), and then I will piece together the rest of the set. It's more expensive to do it this way, but you're usually guaranteed mint cards from the booster packs and since you need all the commons, why not test your luck and have a bit of fun? Booster boxes can be a great investment but for some of the older sets, they can be extremely rare and expensive. As for the Ultra Rare cards in the set, your best bet is often times trading here on PB or scoping out eBay for a deal.

Mates said:
One more little question. Do they still release a 1st edition set for the English cards?

Unfortunately (my opinion again), they do not release 1st edition English cards anymore. They stopped printing them after Neo Destiny.

If you want a small set to begin with, dragon vault is only 21 cards (including the secret rare)

AnUnown said:
If you want a small set to begin with, dragon vault is only 21 cards (including the secret rare)

Not quite right. It is 20 cards with a secret rare and 5 variant cards, for a total of 26 cards. I still say trading and buying on PokéBeach is a good solution. I know SoulWind just picked a near set of 1st Edition Japanese cards for a fair price from a reliable source from here. I have tons of old cards that I will trade for new. I also buy, sell and trade Japanese, Korean, German, and Spanish cards. I know the Japanese cards have a few collectors here.

Back