Collecting Collectable or just plain junk?

NY TCG HUnter

Aspiring Trainer
I posted this in another thread but didn't receive any feedback so I thought it needed it's own thread.

Ok, so I have a YouTube channel where I open Pokémon TCG product and during one of those videos I was opening a Phantom Forces booster from a Charizard EX Box when I pulled this:

ea7HtuX.jpg
FchaEue.jpg
kyop1TU.jpg
xjOyKJq.jpg

If you cannot tell, this is a Malamar EX #58 from Phantom Forces. The foil is not even glued except for the lower 1/4 of the card. This is exactly how I pulled it from the pack. You can see this play out on video here at around the 4:13 mark:

So...the question is. Is there a market for this type of card? I am a collector all the way, but I have not seen any other instances of this happening. Does anyone have anything like this example? Thanks again!

I'll share what I know, but it isn't much. In fact, I'm going to spoiler tag it. Consider it an option in case no one else answers. >.>

Never heard of it before; my gut tells me you might find someone interested in it as a novelty, but also that as it is the kind of mistake someone might be able to recreate from a "healthy" card, it probably won't snag you much more than what you'd get elsewhere. Now, this is from someone who used to collect, but was never dealt with the really rare stuff, like... um... shadowless Base Set cards? See, I can't even remember now. XD I had some similar experiences with comic books, where something was wrong and a holo cover wasn't quite right, or the manufacturer accidentally had somehow printed the first have of the story, then the second half over again in the same book. When I looked into that, I basically was told what you were told.

I'll share what I know, but it isn't much. In fact, I'm going to spoiler tag it. Consider it an option in case no one else answers. >.>

Never heard of it before; my gut tells me you might find someone interested in it as a novelty, but also that as it is the kind of mistake someone might be able to recreate from a "healthy" card, it probably won't snag you much more than what you'd get elsewhere. Now, this is from someone who used to collect, but was never dealt with the really rare stuff, like... um... shadowless Base Set cards? See, I can't even remember now. XD I had some similar experiences with comic books, where something was wrong and a holo cover wasn't quite right, or the manufacturer accidentally had somehow printed the first have of the story, then the second half over again in the same book. When I looked into that, I basically was told what you were told.

Thanks for the reply. I mean I guess someone could reproduce this but in this case I actually have it on a video coming from a sealed pack. I know what you are saying though. The only reason I don't think it could be reproduced is because there is a lack of adhesive between the foil and the cardstock. It's completely clean. Weird huh?

There's a chance you might find a collector interested in it as a novelty, but I'm not sure it would attract much attention. You can't even really store it well to show it off like some of the bad miscuts that people like, since putting it in sleeves, etc. would just make it mostly look like a regular card.

For me personally, it's junk, but of course one man's junk is another man's treasure. I'm sure there's someone out there that would be interested in buying it off of you, just a matter of finding them.

Thank you again for the replies. I agree, this is just not a card that can be displayed properly to make it "collectable". I'll hold on to it as a keepsake though.

Back