Discussion Collect or Play TCG?

Metzger

Aspiring Trainer
It has been a while since I've played a game of Pokemon but have been collecting on and off since the Base Set days. I was thinking the other day what most of the fans now-a-days do...I'd greatly appreciate it if y'all could answer a few questions I have, even some advice would be great.
  1. Do you collect Pokemon cards or do you play the actual game?
  2. Do you play Pokemon TCG competitively or casually?
  3. Do you prefer to collect Holo or Reverse Holos if both are available for said card?
  4. Would you build two competitive decks (for you and your friends to play together), meaning purchasing multiple of the same Mega EX cards. Or would you rather collect 1 of your favorite cards (Mega EX, EX, BREAK, etc) and have them to display nicely in a binder?
  5. Have you ever seen anyone play an entire deck of Full-Art/Holo/Reverse-Holo cards only?
  6. What would be your go-to deck for the new rotation? If I was to actually play I'd be looking at getting Mega Mewtwo EX or a Mega Rayquaza EX deck.

TheGuardian118

Aspiring Trainer
Most here probably play competitively, but some collect.

1. Play first, collect second.
2. Semi-competitively. I go to all the local tournaments, but don't travel more than two or three hours at this point. Once I finish my Masters degree I plan on travelling farther and playing more seriously. (December 15th can't come soon enough!)
3. I typically go for the reverse for the binder, but like having all the variants in my deck if I can. (Play first, collect second)
4. I typically have two or three decks built just for my own variety when playing. When I invite a new person to league I always let them know they can use one of my decks if they don't have their own. Normally I try for two serious decks, then at least one "Fun" or lower powered deck. Not everyone at my league plays competitively, and I like being able to go against the casual players without using a meta-deck that would just stomp them.
5. Yes, I've seen a couple of blinged out decks. Very cool.
6. Currently I'm enjoying Greninja Break. M Mewtwo is better than M Ray I think, but they are both pretty good.

bbninjas

Ready or Not!
Advanced Member
Moved from the TCG News to the TCG Help & Advice as the OP is a returning player looking for advice. ~bbninjas

TuxedoBlack

Old School Player
1. I used to be a very active collector of entire sets, but stopped a few years ago. I now only play the actual TCG game.

2. Competitively.

3. Personally, I just prefer to collect the plain, regular art cards - less expensive for my decks.

4. I would build decks for competitive play.

5. Yes. Pokémon, Trainers and energy were all blinged-out.

6. For Standard format play, I'd run Darkrai EX, Volcanion EX or M Tyranitar EX.

Otaku

The wise fool?
Not using numbered responses because for the last two and a half years, I have only been playing/collecting via the PTCGO.

Short version is that my finances have been tight for several years and it isn't getting better anytime soon. My choice was between playing via the PTCGO or not playing at all, because I really don't like the idea of using the unofficial online versions of the game when I am not also buying the actual product.

Now if I had the funds... I would still be sticking with the PTCGO. I just don't think the real TCG is worth it for me right now. If I was deeply involved in a good League then maybe, but especially for competitive play it just isn't worth it. I used to collect as well, but it really wasn't as rewarding as I thought it was at the time.

Pikachu6319

Scooby
1) Collect first and then play second, though a long time ago I was a big time tcg player.
2) Casual player but my deck ins semi-competitive.
3) Holo>reverse holo but reverse holo>regular
4) The collecting one, don't really know anyone who plays that I would trust with my cards.
5) No. no I haven't. It might be cool to see a blinged out deck though.
6) My go to deck right now is M. Gardevoir/Xerneas BREAK, still rather viable despite the loss of Fairy Transfer Aromatiasse. I'd like to run Volcanion EX and M. Mewtwo Y but much like Otaku above my finances are tight too so it hasn't happened yet.

Celty

Somebody you used to know
  1. Mainly collect, rarely play.
  2. I'm a filthy casual u.u
  3. I tend to like holos more.
  4. I would much rather collect and put in my binder than build decks.
  5. Several players I know do sparkle up their entire deck. It's more for fun or just to show off a bit x3
  6. I tend to make up decks using Pokemon I like instead of going with what everyone else is playing. I made a Diancie Ex deck that does ok; Although I have only played with it a few times I won most of the matches.

mordacazir

Lord of Souls
1. Play a lot
2.very competetive
3. Holo
4. 1 competetive deck
5. Tons of people have lots of useless money
6.Vileplume box

Asmer

Keep the High Tide on the Flipside
1. I play on PTCGO, but I'm dying to get back in to the IRL game. I'll most likely start by collecting, however.
2. I have this VERY bad habit of making bad decks and making them play well. That said, to quote @Celty :

"I'm a filthy casual u.u"

3. Holos. I honestly cannot stand Reverse Holos.
4. I would prioritize two competitive decks. One for myself, one for my lovely other. <3
5. No, but he was VERY close. If I remember correctly, he was missing... something trivial because he couldn't find them. Sadly, this was years ago so I don't remember. It was extremely pleasing to the eye, however.
6. This is always the hardest question for me, but if I could play ANYTHING right now, it would be Mega Audino EX. I feel like the concept is still really nifty and I'd love to see what it could do right now.

-Asmer

GrandPanacea

Thread Necromancer
Advanced Member
  1. I play primarily, but I'm also a collector! :D
  2. I play fairly competitively. Not super competitive, at least not yet, but I do get pretty gung-ho.
  3. I tend to prefer the Reverse-Holos. I just think they're neat.
  4. I have built two decks at once. I'm missing two Shaymin and a few other little things, but I just proxy the others and swap as needed.
  5. I certainly have. Well, almost. The exception is that his Ultra Balls were only reverse, and not secret rares.
  6. My go-to deck is definitely Rainbow Road.

mordacazir

Lord of Souls
1. I play, collecting is very expensive.
2. Very competitively
3. Don't really care. I play with what I get.
4.1 deck?
5. Yes, I think they have too much money. Spend it on something better please.
6. Vileplume box.

lt_tatter

donde esta la biblioteca?
  1. Started out collecting, want to play, but I do play the video games competitively
  2. want to do both
  3. I think Reverse holos are cooler cause it is harder to get a reverse of a rare.
  4. Would like the binder and a few decks to use and get into playing.
  5. On youtube vids
  6. Dunno