Ruling Coin Flipping....HOW?

Clmnt_86

Aspiring Trainer
What is the exact rule for coin flipping???
Must the coin flipped over the head ?? (someone told me so...)

When a coin is flipped, it must rotate in the air 3 times before it hits the table. That way, people can't manipulate coin flips. One solution that people use is to use dice instead. For dice rolls, it is usually conventional for even numbers to be heads and odd numbers to be tails.

As far as whether a coin flip counts, it does not count if it goes off the table. It also must land flat in order for it to count; if it is tilted 15° or more, it must be re-flipped.

The black line is tilted at 15° while the gray line is horizontal, so that should give you an idea as to what the biggest tilt of the coin can be, but just use your best judgement and try to abide by the spirit of the game; don't ask your opponent to reflip just to try to get the result in your favor:

Finally, once both players agree on the result of a coin flip, it cannot be redone. It is probably best to ask your opponent what randomizer they will be using and what is considered heads or tails; that way, you can avoid disputes later on.

Hope this answers your question.

That's mean I just need to flip a coin which will rotate in the air for three times without knowing how high the coin is flipped....
I think I got it. THANX

RE:  Coin Flipping....HOW?

Clmnt_86 said:
That's mean I just need to flip a coin which will rotate in the air for three times without knowing how high the coin is flipped....
I think I got it. THANX
You can also use a dice too....that's what I do cuz I don't like to use coins.

RE:   Coin Flipping....HOW?

Light Venusaur said:
Clmnt_86 said:
I think I got it. THANX
You can also use a dice too....that's what I do cuz I do like to use coins.

Half of the people I played against can't properly flip coins either because they never tried flipping the coin with their thumbs or they just never watch how other people do it.

But with an advice like watching it flip into the air at least three times should be enough for me to say that it's a fair flip.

There's an "unofficial" rule for dice too. It isnt noted anywhere from what I have seen, but I enforce that the dice must roll at least 3 times (like the coin) to produce a random enough result. I have seen people who roll it and it simply falls on the next number not rolling at all, which can be taken as rigging the roll.

If a coin must flip 3 times, a dice should roll 3 times. It's all fair, even though it's not noted anywhere.

Well, I normally flip with my thumb and index finger and just snap my fingers and kaboom, the coin goes up, flip flip flip, come down.

Has anyone use the card reader and scan to use the coin flip feature to flip a coin? That would be really fair.I remeber it was chansey from aquapolis.
Anyone did this before?

Usually during the Nationals, coins are a MUST cos' they are suspicious about people putting some kind of gel at the other side of the heads.
This way, no matter how many times the dice rolls, it will still land on a heads.

To prevent this, the judges will weigh people who wants to use a dice, dice. The WILL weigh EVERY side of the dice. And, numbers on the dice must be from 12 to 30. Nothing Else.

RE:  Coin Flipping....HOW?

armaldoEX said:
Usually during the Nationals, coins are a MUST cos' they are suspicious about people putting some kind of gel at the other side of the heads.
This way, no matter how many times the dice rolls, it will still land on a heads.

To prevent this, the judges will weigh people who wants to use a dice, dice. The WILL weigh EVERY side of the dice.  And, numbers on the dice must be from 12 to 30. Nothing Else.
I hate useing coins, thats why I'm going to ask if I can use a dice (maybe with 6 sides or 20....I don't know yet!)

Same here, I'm just TOO lazy to flip a coin. If it isn't flipped properly, it has to be flipped again, so I get tired of that. God knows when I will get done!!!

armaldoEX said:
To prevent this, the judges will weigh people who wants to use a dice, dice. The WILL weigh EVERY side of the dice. And, numbers on the dice must be from 12 to 30. Nothing Else.
I've never heard of that before. I doubt judges will be bothered to bring a scale which measures the small weight difference for each dice side, noone should be that paranoid. Weighted dice are usually only weighted towards one side. Therefore each time the dice rolls it will (75% of the time) land on the same number. Weighted dice also have an irregular rolling pattern, which is dead obvious to pick up, since rolling them looks person. You can also feels the slight weight difference from holding it in different angles. I used to have a weighted dice years ago and that's what I picked up from rolling it constantly.

The numbers on the dice do not matter, as long as there is a 1:1 ratio of odds:evens. If there is any suspision about weighted dice then it can be brought to the attention of the high judge, who then 'must' weigh it to confirm that it is a weighted dice. This means the user would be classed as cheating and disqualified.

Well, it's easy to flip a coin, I'm using my thumb, that's all...
but thanx for the information that the coin must flip at least 3 times in air, I'll tell my friends later about this info ^^
what if I play on the bed, and of course, the coin won't bounce on the bed?
Should we flip the coin on the floor so the coin can bounce?

Hmm...dice, I never use it as a replace for a coin...

Well, Abhorsen, I'm sorry, I meant some players WILL bring small machines to weigh the dices. I've haven't seen one, but ya there are some, heard it.

I like D20's for randomization. I usually decide who goes first by "highest roll". They are pretty hard to manipulate and rarely land unevenly. You can get D20's at most collectors' stores. I use regular 6 sided dice for damage counters, since they are compact. I actually store all of my dice and stuff in a Burger King Pokéball; they fit pretty well.

Ahhhh, dice rolling is funny!! Last time i went to a tournament, I took 7 6-sided dices! It's given me some extra luck, because I won that tournament!

Well, if a dice is agreed to be used by both players, the way to determine who starts first is by the person who gets the biggest or smallest number ( determined whether biggest or smallest by the two players)

you have to practice. The best way I can describe it is: flip the dice with your index and middle (or index) finger, like your snapping your fingers, and let it spin in the air at an angle. if it lands on the table and is spinning like a top you are on the right track.

Back