Discussion Cofagrigus/Giratina viability?

Alex Sableye

Official Pokemon Connoisseur of the Unova Region
I was looking through the Lost Thunder set list again, and these two Pokemon seemed obvious to pair together.
Basic Strategy: Cofagrigus Active, Four Giratina and one Oranguru on the bench. This would let Cofagrigus deal 130 damage a turn, and discard all benched Giratinas. Next turn return all Giratinas to the bench, which will deal up to 40 damage to two of the opponents Pokemon. Two turns of this and most GX Pokemon will be softened up enough to KO with Cofagrigus. The downside is that it takes four benched Giratina.

So, will it work?

Last edited:
I was looking through the Lost Thunder set list again, and these two Pokemon seemed obvious to pair together.
Basic Strategy: Cofagrigus Active, Four Giratina and one Oranguru on the bench. This would let Cofagrigus deal 130 damage a turn, and discard all benched Giratinas. Next turn return all Giratinas to the bench, which will deal up to 40 damage to two of the opponents Pokemon. Two turns of this and most GX Pokemon will be softened up enough to KO with Cofagrigus. The downside is that it takes four benched Cofagrigus.

So, will it work?
How do you plan on getting four Giritina AND four Cofagrigus on the bench at the same time?

Ahh ok, I was wondering if you meant this for Expanded with Sky Field or something.
Actually, Sky Field out with an active Cofagrigus, four benched Exeggcute, and four benched Giratina is 250 damage... Not to mention not having to have all your "recycle" Pokemon benched in order to do 2HKO's. I might actually try this out.

Your never going to want to do full damage with cofagrigus otherwise your just gonna get donked the next turn not to mention you need to set your replacement attacker which requires 2 attachments which is always a bad thing in the tcg. Mega garde is much a much more viable option in expanded.

Your never going to want to do full damage with cofagrigus otherwise your just gonna get donked the next turn not to mention you need to set your replacement attacker which requires 2 attachments which is always a bad thing in the tcg. Mega garde is much a much more viable option in expanded.
In expanded of course. You make a good point about energy attachments though. Maybe Darkrai GX would work better instead of Exeggcute? Plus Exeggcute is expanded.

Eh, giving Cofagrigus a quick look, I don't see it being very streamable. For one thing, it's a stage 1. It's not a major problem, but it's only more deck space this concept has to deal with. Second, it takes 2 energies instead of 1. Sure it's a prize one Pokemon which means it can utilize Counter Energy, but you're not going to get the best use out of that card every turn, which can lead to inconsistencies. On that note though, you might be able to splash in a 1-1 or 2-2 line of Malamar so you can handle this problem a little more effectively, but that's more bench space and deck space taken. And if you did go that idea, that's a lot of Pokemon to set up; Your Cofagriguses, your Malamar(s), and most if not all of your Giratinas in the discard pile to be re-used, even considering that you have access to Mysterious Treasure. In addition, if you lead with the Giratina (since you're running multiple copies), I assume it'd be very difficult to get it out of the active and into your main attacker when ready.

I'm not saying it's the worst idea ever. Honestly a prize-one pokemon that can not only deal a ton of damage combined with Giratina's added damage, but can spread damage with Giratina again and Shrine of Punishment, and at least getting the pokemon out doesn't seem like a huge issue since you have a good amount of search options, I just think the energy-requirements for his attack and how well you can keep Cofagrigus after Cofagrigus going is the major issue for this concept.

Now Expanded, that's a whole different story with Sky Field thrown into the mix.

Back