Chess!

bacon

!!!!!
Chess, the gentlemen's game.

I'm awful at it. Maybe because I'm not a gentleman. But it's a lot of fun, and one day I hope to be a formidable player. I have set myself the lofty goal of consistently being able to beat the Lvl 5 computer opponent on my smartphone's Chess app. It actually goes all the way to Lvl 9, but baby steps for now.

So I made a thread. Good isn't it? I guess here we talk about everything to do with Chess. Chess openings, Chess tournaments, Chess players, Chessnuts, Chessts, and everything else that's appropriate.

I'll make a tier list soon and then we can suspect test Queen. And maybe a UU tier consisting of nothing but Pawns.

Ehuehue, discuss. : )

Beautiful thread, good sir. I'm personally rubbish at chess, but my fellow chaps are fantastic at this wonderful game. In one of my computer science lab groups, I have two associates who merely call out chess moves and have mental pictures of the board. Their games are fascinating to listen to... even if I am unable to track the progress of the games. Does anyone know of any useful websites to learn how to succeed at the fairest of gentlemen's challenges? If so, that would be fantastically useful.

I'm really bad at chess. I play against my dad a lot, but he always wins. He played HS chess and got 2nd at state back in the day. (way back when public schools still had chess teams.) I myself can't really get a grip on thinking very far ahead into the game, so I was never really any good.

@CM: [member]Pride[/member] and I have played on a website before, so you can ask him for the site. It basically has a system set up where you can play others online, and I guess you would eventually get better, although I don't know of any good tutoring sites if that's what you are looking for.

EDIT: Bacon we need to suspect King. He's too over centralizing.

CodeMonkey said:
In one of my computer science lab groups, I have two associates who merely call out chess moves and have mental pictures of the board.

Sherlock-Holmes-A-Game-of-Shadows-02.jpg

Kidding aside, I love chess, but I suck badly at it. If I actually put in some practice (or was able to find a friend to teach me some tricks), I definitely think it's something I'd play more often.

best strategy is set up a sub with knight on the switch, get +2, sweep for game

I like chess. I'm definitely not awful at it but okay. Actually a couple of weeks ago I beat my Grandfather at it for the first time and it was a good day... I don't know if it is true or not but do any of you believe in the move where you move the king and rook (the caste looking thing) at the same time if neither have moved yet and nothing is between them?

I'm pretty okay at chess but I don't really play it seriously. at a competitive level chess is less about skill and adapting to new situations and more about memorizing moves that already exist. generally I see Go as a superior game in that regard, but I'm absolutely awful at Go so I end up playing chess more often. OH WELL

Trainerhan1 said:
I don't know if it is true or not but do any of you believe in the move where you move the king and rook (the caste looking thing) at the same time if neither have moved yet and nothing is between them?

I'm pretty sure that's a rule. I play with it, so it had to come from somewhere.

I myself consider myself OK at best, I may just not be playing against good players, but I win a decent percentage of the time against my family and friends. Either way, I quite enjoy it.

yeah, that's called castling. it's slightly different queenside v. kingside but that's the gist of it.

I love chess and I consider myself pretty good at it. I grew up without internet and enough money to buy video games so I found chess and sports as an activity haha. My highschool used to have a team but that got downgraded to a club because of low interest. Sadly I'm not as good as I was a few years ago, but I still find time to play with my friends.

This reminds me that Pride and I need to play each other again. I must improve my record of 4-1-1. \o/

I'm decent at chess. Me and my buddy used to play all the time. We got into it enough to watch grandmaster games and I've taken the time to memorize a handful of openings and strategies. It's a fun game that I don't win as much as I'd like, but I enjoy playing it.

I like playing chess. Haven't played it in forever but I remember the last time I play I did horrible. Probably will play again soon though.

I like chess. I'd consider myself average. I don't play it very often due to a lot of time in my life being taken up by classes and other activities, which is a shame because it's something I love doing.

SL said:
best strategy is set up a sub with knight on the switch, get +2, sweep for game
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO you have discovered my secret ;-;

I like chess but I am not good. I can make some good moves (casually of course). I generally just sweep with my Queen and Bishop (and sometimes the knight).

I've always loved chess a ton. It's basically the Pokemon TCG without all the luck. That being said, I don't consider myself good at chess that much, but sometimes I question whether I'm actually better at it than card games. :F I had a blast playing against Pride a couple years ago. ;p

dmaster out.

I occasionally play on Chess.com... Awesome site if you like chess.

I completely forget openings though; that should be our first real topic.

TDL said:
I love chess and I consider myself pretty good at it. I grew up without internet and enough money to buy video games so I found chess and sports as an activity haha. My highschool used to have a team but that got downgraded to a club because of low interest. Sadly I'm not as good as I was a few years ago, but I still find time to play with my friends.

This reminds me that Pride and I need to play each other again. I must improve my record of 4-1-1. \o/

Gotta calm down about that :[

http://en.lichess.org/ is the best website to play games quickly with friends. Chess.com is workable as well but its not as easy to set up games.

Back